Are tattoos and piercings becoming for acceptable in the work force?

I'm just wanting to see how many different opinions I can get from this topic because it can be controversial.

If you were an employer hiring 1 employee, and both candidates were your only choices. One had tattoos that were visible. On the forearm, wrist and collarbone area, and the other had facial piercings, eyebrow, nose, lip, tongue, etc.

Which one would you choose?
Why did you choose this one over the other?
Do you think tattoos are more accepted into the work force vs piercings?
Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, what are they, and where are they located on you body?
Do you plan on getting more tattoos/piercings? If so, how many more and spots where you want them at?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's completely dependent on the type of work. While tattooing and piercings are becoming more mainstream - a conservative company and/or a customer-facing company would be hesitant to hire someone based on their body modifications.

I do not have any tattoos or piercings that I currently wear. I got an ear pierced in college -but dont' wear anything.

I'm thinking about a tattoo to commemorate me turning 45 next year. It would be on the side of my calf.

What Guys Said 4

• Waiting for the day when defending yourself at the workplace will also be allowed.

• well they can both be somewhat hidden. you can remove most piercings so depends. and tattoos you can cover them up. if the employee is worth the hire then ill take them. but it definitely affects whether they will or will not be hired.

• I work at a company where we have a strict business formal dress code. I would not go with a person who has tattoos / piercings visible from the edge of clothes.

• Depends on if ur from hickville or not

What Girls Said 2

• It completely depends on the type of work and the workplace itself. If I was running a company that dealt directly with clients or did a lot of national or global business, I'd be reluctant to hire somebody with piercings anywhere except the ears (and maybe the nose, but a small one) or somebody who had tattoos that could not be covered with normal office attire. Navel piercings are hidden under normal clothing so they're not an issue. If that person is dealing with customers, their appearance is a reflection on the company as a whole, and the reflection is generally not a good one. In a professional office environment, it's still really hard to get hired if you have odd piercings or tattoos that you can't hide. You could have the best qualifications in the world, but tattoos and piercings will definitely work against you.

Now if the job was in the skilled trades, that would probably be different. It's more acceptable for people like chefs, hairdressers/barbers, mechanics, construction workers, etc to have visible tattoos. My brother is a mechanic, he has a full sleeve on one arm and other tattoos elsewhere, and he's had no trouble at all finding a job.

I don't have any tattoos and no piercings besides my ears. My fiance has some tattoos that are hidden by clothes anyways. Except for the one on his wrist but he's never had a problem with that one. Overall, I think tattoos are more accepted than piercings, but the preference for most workplaces is still no tattoos and earrings only.

• If I was hiring someone I wouldn't base it on appearance I would base it on qualifications and work history. Who's better fit for the job and then I'd hire that person. I either one had a bad attitude or something along those lines I wouldn't hire them.

Yes tattoos are more acceptable vs piercings. I feel like people are less threatening if they don't have piercings haha

I do have tattoos I have both my feet tattooed and I have a thigh to hip tattoo of a peacock. I've also had my septum pierced at one point not anymore because it was annoying. But it didn't stop me from getting a job.

Yes I plan on getting more I plan to tattoo my other thigh I also plan to put tattoos over my scars on my arms. Which I've always been like never going to tattoo my arms but I think it will look way better over my scars. I burnt my self and it looks horrible I'd rather cover it then have people ask what happened. It gets annoying.

But over all I think tattoos are becoming more and more acceptable because more people have them and it's not just "trashy" people who have them it's respectable people doctors, nurses, military, and so on.