How short is too short?

I love wearing skirts, because for me they are the most comfortable thing I wear. My skirts range from floor length to about 2" above the knee being the shortest. I was just wondering, because it seems like no matter the length, every time I see my Father its "to short. " This could be just a parent thing, though I'd really like your guy's input.

Another thing, once on campus last fall I was wearing a knee length black twirly skirt and talking on the phone with my friend in between classes. Well as misfortune would have it a gust of wind blew up from no where and suddenly I was fighting for my decency. I said, "eek, cold! " In a high voice to my friend because it caught me off guard. Well, behind me there were two male students who happened to be passing by. Right after my remark one of them immediately imitated me in a high pitched voice and said, "Ah! Cold! Maybe you shouldn't dress like a whore and show your vagina to everyone if you don't want to be cold. " His friend laughed. It hurt a lot though, and I wasn't even wearing risqu underwear. They were blue boy shorts.

Were they just being mean, or do guys really think that about a girl who dresses like me?

Girls, how short do you think is acceptable for your skirts?

And just in case you are wondering the tops I wear are very modest, never showing midriff or cleavage.

• Anything above the knee is too short.
  • Anything above the calf is too short.
  • To short? There is no such thing. :P

Most Helpful Guy

• There is nothing wrong with wearing a mini-skirt, as long as you are happy with the way you look in them. I happen to think they look great on just about any girl. I love them! As for the two jerks who made the comment? Don't worry about them, they're idiots. No normal guy would say that. Just go on and wear whatever makes you feel good. I'm sure you look very nice!

What Guys Said 8

• Those dudes can go to hell. There will always be scumbags wherever you go, so they were just being mean; I guarantee you they don't get laid by good girls. I think that girls are generally good with dresses, and if you think you look good in an outfit, you probably are; unless you're some weird emo or part of strange group of people. I don't think a skirt should be giving upskirt views to passer-bys, but it has to be a really mini skirt to be doing that. You see those hollywood gals, they're fine. I think about a girl who fits my criteria, one of them being dressing well.

Many dads will say your skirts are too short, because he has gone through a different era, or hold some beliefs of his own.

• The guy who made the nasty comment clearly has issues with his sexuality. If a father can see your ankles, he will most likely complain - who knows, he may be just teasing you in his own way.

Your skirt lengths are completely fine.

I live in a major city, I do see "working woman" on corners, or going to see clients. A "whore" skirt is usually just at the. Pink line, or even as much as 2 inches above.

• There is a whole swath of guys who treat all women with a lack of respect.

Unfortunately that's a part of life.

Generally anything that sits above the knee will get more attention. It's to do with perception, the average person doesn't know how long the average thigh is, so from a technical point of view, if you can see past the knee, you know there can't be much more skin before her thighs end.

It's going to come down to some cold facts, a shorter skirt is intended to show off your legs, so accept that people are aware you are showing off your legs.

• I don't try to, and whenever my skirts do go above the knee I wear leggings with them. Which probably doesn't help the fact that people already think I'm much younger then I am. :P

• As a fully grown up man who stumbled onto this topic, I don't understand why those boys acted the way they did - unless they are gay and irritated that they can't wear a skirt that shouts "femininity". All red-blooded guys simply love it when a girl wears a skirt, regardless of length - it's one of the great things that underscores the differences between men and women, just like long nails, high heels, lace anything, etc. When some mook says something stupid like that he makes it bad for the rest of the world; I mean, what if you other girls decided to never to wear a skirt again? That would be bad. Real men love them. Please don't stop. Seriously, it's nice.

• I have a REALLY big question.

If you (Sugarcoat) could go back into time and control what those boys said what would you had liked to hear?

• Oh, well I guess I like it when boys say horrible things about me, oh wait, no I don't. I'd have preferred they said nothing at all. But you can't stop assholes from putting others down to make their tiny penis' feel bigger. I was more naive then, but I'm bitter now. its funny how an abusive relationship and a brush with death will do that to a person. I don't know why these forums sent me notification of your comment today, as you posted it four months ago. Oh well.

• Wow, I don't know what to say... actually I do. You're right, those assholes should just have kept shut if they didn't have anything nice to say but you're still young and you don't have to become a bitter person already ( you're 20 for goodness sake ), even if you've gone through all the things you have. But what do I know (?)

• Ok there is to short but from what you have said your sound just fine. Guys can be ass holes, when we hang out with friends. As far as your dad goes its just a parent thing. Just do what makes you happy. If they don't like it oh well.

• There is no such thing as a skirt, skort or shorts that are too short.

• Short skirts are great, and I'm sure you look fantastic in them. You have a protective parent problem, so you may have to be a bit sneaky and change at a friend's house before you go out. The 2 students were just idiots who need to grow up, so ignore them. Team up short skirts with heels and you'll look like a million dollars. How short? Well. Very short! Go for it. You can conquer the world.

What Girls Said 5

• Your dad is just being a dad. My dad will tell me that anything above the knee is too short. Your dad just wants to protect you from sleazy guys like the ones you mention. I would say wear whatever you feel comfortable with, but just be aware that the knee is sort of the dividing line. Knee-length or longer is dressy, shorter than knee-length is looking for attention from guys. Nowhere in this country is knee-length whorish, so ignore what that guy said. He's just an asshole. Although wearing skirts on a cold windy day is generally not the wisest choice, it doesn't make you a whore.

I hardly ever wear skirts shorter than the knee unless I'm going clubbing. If I'm just going to be walking across campus, I wear longer skirts (usually just a shade past the knees) to avoid exactly the problem you mention: the wind. The wind is a cruel, cruel master when you're in a skirt, and you just have to be really careful. :)

• Usually while growing up I tried to dress a little seductively if I could but now I try to be as modest as I can! It's because I don't want to be seen as a sex object or easy. Of course I want to be seen as attractive still but by dressing modestly I'm seen as more than that. So think about how you want to be seen. And I'd say that 2 inches above the knee is fine, but any shorter than that may not be if you want to be seen as a decent person. Also it depends on how tall you are.

• Parents thing. The guys who said that are jerks. I wear minis all summer. If I can bend over and not see anything in the mirror? I wear it. I love skirts and flip flops all summer long. I wear fun t shirts too. So, it was the guys that were idiots. Karma's a bitch. One day they may have someone make fun of them.

• Let's start with where you and your father are coming from. I'm Arab and my skirts are still too short and I'm in my 20's according to Dad.

I'd ignore the two boys, they were just having fun in a teenage guy way.

It dependes on the skirt. Two inches above the knee might not sound very short, but depending on what the cut of the skirt is, it might be at your waist when you bend over or sit down, right? Be honest here. How much are you showing overall?

I can't imagine your Dad saying that about a full skirt that would still be a couple of inches over your knee when you sat down. That was always my limit at home. My Dad always made me sit down and bend over before he'd pass judgment and I think that was wise when I was a teenager because really I had no idea, I just followed fashion and didn't think about how things looked to guys or dads when I was shopping.

Good job on the boy shorts; always wear those if you're wearing something that hikes up when you sit down or might blow upward in the wind.

• I disagree with the guy that said pair short skirts and heels together. I've always heard that that look kind of gives off the "easy" impression and that if you're going to wear a short skirt, then it's better to wear flats.

But about your question, I don't think your skirt was too short at all. I've seen girls wearing skirts that hit more like 8 or 10 inches above the knee!

• Usually while growing up I tried to dress a little seductively if I could. I usually went to a private school where there was a strict dress code [girls HAD to wear skirts and they couldn't be shorter than to the knee]. During a couple summers when I was desperate to get [hopefully make-out with] some good-looking guy I would usually wear short shorts and skirts. But now I try to be as modest as I can! It's because I don't want to be seen as a sex object or easy anymore. Of course I want to be seen as attractive still but by dressing modestly I'm seen as more than that. So think about how you want to be seen. And I'd say that 2 inches above the knee is fine, but any shorter than that may not be if you want to be seen as not just someone who shows off her body. How short the skirt is also it depends on how tall you are. And the good guys are the ones who like women to dress modestly, but still attractively of course.