What do guys do to look presentable and socially acceptable in public?

So I've been harping for the past hour that girls do a lot more to put together a natural look for the past hour. It's only fair that I ask the guys what they do. How much grooming, shaving, and other things that guys do that girls clearly have no idea about how much work it is? This includes any face washing routines and stuff.

Most Helpful Guy

• I usually shave, tweeze my would be unibrow, brush my teeth, and shower. I used to gel up my hair, but I decided to stop and now I keep my hair buzzed short. Although I sometimes put the gel in my goatee so it looks more neat. Every few days or when I go somewhere I also put moisturizer on my body, because I use it on my tattoos and I don't want my body to be unevenly moisturized. How nice I dress depends on what I'm doing that day. I've met some girls that don't do as much as me, but generally I think girls do a lot more than guys.

What Guys Said 11

• I was an old hippie back in the day. I don't think most people who weren't part of that understand the symbolism of the long hair. It was a statement and a protest about the triviality of length of hair, makeup, clothes, etc. The symbolism was a great big collective "fuck you" to the established norms that place so much weight on such trivial things. We threw away those norms and won a battle. Since then it's gradually crept back into our society, but not to the point where it was before. (This was not the only thing about the symbolism of hair, but it's the part that's pertinent to the question.)

When I was young, I never even heard of designer clothes. They didn't even exist, at least not in any stores I went to. When people first started buying that stuff I thought it was so trivial and vain (and a total waste of money). Frank Zappa's song Disco Boy deals with some of that vanity and lifestyle. The punks had it right protesting against that sort of thing.

I have not changed my views much over the years. Some people like to play dress-up. That's fine, they can do whatever they want. But if it's because of some societal expectation, that needs to be thrown out the door. For good this time.

• I'm quite particular about the way i present myself in public, especially since I'm quite unattarctive when it comes to my actual looks.

I'm ALWAYS clean shaven, because I like it that way. Usually close cropped, but sometimes my hair is slightly longer. I also use a trimmer to remove my nasal hair once a week. I'm usually dressed casually in shirts/T-shirts and jeans/cargos, unless the occasion demands that I dress formally. I ensure that my clothes are always washed and ironed, and my sneakers/shoes are clean as well.

• I personally just take a shower every morning before I leave the house. That of course also involves washing my hair (using the shampoo twice of course, as intended). If it looks really messy then I'll also apply hair balsam to fix it up, that can take a bit of time but I rarely actually do that. The shower is a must, though.

While I kinda look silly with stubbles, optimally I'd need to shave every day, but I'm lazy and so I shave the stuff on my face only every 3 or 4 days. It doesn't take a lot of time, like 5 minutes or so.

(My face-washing routine is basically that whenever I wash my hands, I wash my face off with cold water as well. I wash my hands every time I visit the toilet. I also wash my hands whenever it "feels" like it should be washed, which tends to occur after about an hour or so I think.)

• Take a shower at some point before I go out, put on deodorant, shave face, brush teeth, put on nice clothes. My hygiene isn't as intensive as a girl's hygiene, no matter which way you look at it. The only thing I do that is a special effort is face shaving an average of 2 out of 3 days, and getting a very close shave by going against the grain after the first shave. Outside of that, I wouldn't say that girls "have no idea how much work I go through" to maintain hygiene. It's pretty minimal.

• It varies. If I just feel like going out spontaneously then I change into clean clothes but forget the socks and wear my boots. I'll probably put on a hat to make my head look less messy.

If I'm going out on a planned activity then I make all the conventional efforts although I shave once every few weeks.

• well i usually shave, cut my hair, shower, start to get dressed make sure i put something on me that looks like money usually my rolex watch, put some moisturizer and brush my hair, then put something on to smell good
    look in the mirror for flaws and anything i can touch up on,

• Shower, apply deodorant, put on clothing, spray some D&G light blue cologne, a bit of FANCY pomade for the hair and bam. Fresh to death.

• I wake up, I shower, apply pomade and comb my hair, I shave my face, I put on deoderant, I put on colone, I dress myself ( shirt, tie, slacks/ dark jeans, and sweater in winter). In the evening I shower, apply deoterant, and do things like clip finger nails and toe nails. Both evening and morning routine takes 15 minutes max.

• wake up, brush my teeth, floss, shave, shower, put my contacts in, put lotion on the face, if im gonna be outside, sun screen, the hair needs work (brushing, wax). clothes, cologne, i dont smell bad so i dont wear deodorant. done

• ill pluck the eyebrows or trim the nose hair when needed, and shave the pubes when needed of course

• I think generally (including me) don't do tooo much... take a shower, put on deodorant and voila!

• I wear polo shirts and jeans, with cowboy boots.

What Girls Said 0