Do you present yourself differently to someone of the opposite gender, than your own?

This is a general question, and the other person need not be a romantic interest. Suppose you have to meet up with someone of the opposite gender (who may be a business acquaintance, a friend, a cousin/relative etc.), do your present yourself differently (with respect to your dressing, body language, way of talking etc.) than if the other person was of the same gender as you?

I personally do this a lot. I take a bit of lenience when I have to meet up with male friends or acquaintances, and I feel completely at ease with myself. But if its a female, I'm a bit too self conscious so I present myself somewhat differently (like I try to avoid even remotely objectionable words, am clean shaven, use a good cologne etc.). I mean... I'm somehow not as comfortable with meeting up females, as with males. I personally feel that I can be 'myself' only in the company of men.

• Yes
  • No
  • Dpeneds on the person

Most Helpful Girl

• I open up a little more around other women. Around guys though I feel self-conscious and panic. It's not like I shut down completely around them, it's just, I don't really talk about myself that much... i nudge the conversation towards them or some other topic.

But, being that my social life is generally nil, if I'm alone for too long, I panic about what to say when i DO open up... so in THAT case i'm fairly quiet around women, and half-quiet around men (as mentioned above)

It's kinda funny when i think about it :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a shy person. And I feel nervous or uncomfortable around girls my age even if I have absolutely nothing for them. With girls I have trouble coming up with topics and even continuing conversations. I feel afraid of saying something stupid or embarrassing. I try to talk as little as possible but still enough to get the job done. Maybe that's the big reason why I haven't had absolutely any success with girls in my 24 years of life.
    But I can easily talk to guys. No fear about saying something stupid or embarrassing. I can easily let it go. Guys won't go over to other guys and laugh or talk about me. And I won't do the same if some guy felt embarrassed about himself.

What Girls Said 14

• It's just common sense. In other languages they have different greetings and grammatical structures for men and woman. If I am with a woman I am very supportive, social, empathetic, happy, liberal, joyful, gentle and I disclose a lot of information about my personal life. Around guys I'm confident, independent, distant, impartial, dispassionate, outgoing, formal. With woman I show my inner self and with men I show my outer self - the "shell" of who I am on the outside.

• Yes depending on the group. I was at a soup kitchen. I make sure that I am respectful. But my body language needs to be very careful around homeless people. I was trying to serve their food and someone tapped my butt. So now I am very careful in that surrounding.

Going back in time I used to work in a factory people did not have clean mouths, I do not swear like I used too. It is who you are around I tried always to be me.
    Most importantly at church... but really anywhere because sometimes it's hard the words do slip.

• I think i present myself same to everyone. I can not do that, presenting differently. It is not in my nature. I am too straightforward to be able to do that.

I want people to accept me as i am. But i can understand you. You want people to like you. This is very humanly behavior.

• Its got nothing to do with being 'liked', because I mentioned that the other person need not necessarily be a romantic interest. Its more like I don't want to be 'judged', because most people are judged more harshly by the opposite gender, than their own gender.

• People will judge you no matter what you do. It is impossible to please everyone.
      I agree girls can, judge you harshly sometimes. But I do think you need someone who will accept you as you're, especially from opposite gender.

• Depends on the person - but I think sometimes most definitely. Not my personality but something changes in my mind-sort to speak-... and I feel differently. I doubt it shows, but I can certainly feel it.

• i found it weird at school i always hated the female teachers and i'd feel more confident talking to the male teachers (possibly because most of our male teachers were hot) but because the female teachers were actually the toughest and really bitchy. But outside of school i was shy no matter what but i'd blush more if i was talking to a guy

• Yes, unfortunately. When I'm with girls, I'm way more open and funny than I am with guys. Due to bad experiences in the past I am very careful around most of them, trying not to reveal much about myself. I don't even do it consciously, it's just become a habit.

• No not really. Unless it's a man I have a crush on then I might act differently, questioning myself and trying not to repel him, otherwise I act the same with everyone

• It depends on the person.
    Gender doesn't matter, I guess. I can say that I present myself differently to the people I am comfortable with.

• Yeah, it's not purposeful but my entire demeanor changes when I'm around men. My voice gets softer and I tend to laugh/smile waaay more than I usually do.

• No. I'm the same old goofball around everyone :)

• Nope. Whoever talks to me is getting me how I am. Maybe when I was younger I changed depending on the person, but I guess I just don't see a point to it now.

• boys im happy and myself they treat me like a friend maybe cause ima tomboy
    girls we usually dont click I only have like 3 close gf and thats it rest guuysss

• No. It's because I'm a shy and introvert person and if I try to present myself differently to guys then yeah it'll be a total disaster. So I try to be myself as often as I can. :)

• With guys I act more like I can beat u up even I know I never could but as long as they think I can then im good. But actually I know a lot of guys I could beat up cause I already do. Lol :p

What Guys Said 5

• I think the only thing I really do differently is that with females, I do tend to be a bit more expressive with body language.

With men and my male friends, I use far less body language to talk, and we generally use fewer words as well.

In terms of personality though, I'm pretty much always my real self. It's just too much work to be anyone else, haha!

• I've realized I subconsciously do several things different when meeting each gender.

I tend to smile more and talk in a much friendlier tone to women.

With guys my voice is slightly deeper and monotone. My body language isn't as inviting.

• yeah I feel more awkward around a girl, but not to many girls speak to me so that's probably the reason

• You just gotta be yourself man, if he/she doesn´t like you shouldn´t give a sliding shit about it

• Yes i do :)