Why are people who are considered a "couch potato" portrayed as fat and ugly? I refuse to accept that.

I fell into this category because most of the time during the day i play video-games or i sit on my computer. But i'm not fat!! On the contrary i'm skinny! ANd i'm not ugly as well. I do take care of myself. And i believe that i'm nice-looking if not a beautiful person.

In most funny pics i've seen "couch potato" people are portayed as fat, ugly with tons of beer cans and pizza boxes thrown on the floor. I deny to accept that, it's ridiculous.

Anyone else who feels the same way with me?

Most Helpful Girl

• Why stop there? Why are fat people on TV or in movies always the funny ones? Why are blondes considered stupid? Pop culture and pop media loves stereotypes and the world just eats it up. I know couch potatoes come in all shapes and sizes, but for the sake of commercials and characters on TV, the way most people identify with a couch potato is to go full force and show someone truly unappealing. In our social culture, being fat and ugly is something no one strives to be regardless of trying to love yourself no matter what you look like -- and promoting the opposite lifestyle makes people think they will not end up this way.

• i hate stereotypes, the can be very insulting

• Yeah, most of us do, I'm not saying it's right, but it's how pop media makes people identify with things. It's stupid, but people buy it every time.

What Girls Said 5

• Because society looks down on people who "sit on their ass all day" and fat people, so a couch potato would commonly be portrayed like that. Usually skinny people are considered healthy, and are thought to be exercising or dieting so they wouldn't be labelled as couch potatoes quite so easily.

• I DON'T EXERCISE!!! I hate exercise like hell. Yet i watch my diet and i only eat when i'm hungry. Never because of boredom, etc

• I know! I was just saying that people might assume that

• I take that to be offensive! I'm a couch potato, but I have ice cream bar wrappers every where! And Its always an old fat white guy... :/ I'm neither of these

• Jst a fucking stereotype that needs to be wiped out. it's insulting because people will think i'm fat and ugly whilst i'm not such a thing

• The difference if that you take care of yourself! A true couch potato will sit there all day and only go out when necessary. I think you're a normal person that just really likes TV and video games ;P

• that's called depression actually. only a person who suffers from depression won't go out unless it's necessary.

• like buying food and drink for example

• I feel this way too. Maybe we aren't true couch potatoes?

• if you sit on your computer/tv or play video-games most of the day then you're consindered one

• I definitely used to be one. I wish I still could be. But now I have stuff to do so I probably only spend like a solid 6-9 hours a day on the couch.

• Because usually they aren't skinny. You need to spread skinny couch potato awareness.

What Guys Said 0