Is this shirt offensive to you? I'm a little nervous about wearing it in front of my parents?

I just got this shirt in the mail that I ordered and i really like it (obviously the reason i bought it). The company is called Drop Dead which isn't a problem (in my opinion at least) but on one of the sleeves it has a burning cross... do you find that offensive? or do you not care? If my mom sees it she'll probably be like "thats blasphemy!" or something. she isn't THAT religious but she still has her beliefs and what not, same with my step dad. i have another shirt from this company and on it is a cat with the star of the devil on its forehead. she was kind of shocked by it but let it go. So what about the burning cross? Offensive to you or not?

here's the link to the shirt, you can see the cross in the second picture showing the back:
www.dropdead.co/.../clique-t-shirt-girls

Most Helpful Guy

• The intention of this shirt (and the whole product line, for that matter) is to offend certain people (the very up-tight, who are also "moral leaders" or at least see themselves as such). And by offending those people, it serves to separate and intentionally marginalize the wearer from mainstream society. In that way, it isn't a lot different than a tattoo, a body piercing, a leather biker jacket, or anything else that is readily identified with an "outcast" group of people. And while tattoos and piercings have become much more mainstream over the last 20 years, make no mistake that there are still large groups of people who don't like them, and see them as amoral and offensive.

Usually, people who choose such clothing or other "identifiers" are looking to belong to a smaller, intimate group that enjoys rebelling against the mainstream, and grows closer to each other though that collective rebellion. Those groups are often called "cliques", and it's no accident that this very name was taken as the name of the shirt.

The shirt doesn't bother me - I'm fairly immune to such stuff, and see it for what it is - but I'm hard to offend in general. But make no mistake, it was designed to offend a particular group of people, and it will.

• hmm i never thought about all of that. thank you for the insight. i didn't buy it to rebel, i bought it because i like it and just so happen to not be into any mainstream fads. i dont mean to offend anyone and it never even occurred to me until i opened the package today

• I understand that and I believe you, but you probably need to be aware of the mindset of the company who has created and marketed this product line, and what the intended impact of the clothes are. That way you can make an informed choice of whether to wear it or not, or when to wear it.

Again, it bothers me not the least - it's just a shirt to me - but to some people, it's a slap in the face. If that's not what you're going for, then have a Plan B (another shirt, a jacket to cover it, or just don't wear it around those people).

• well the owner/creator of the company is one of my favorite vocalists. he doesn't believe in God or the Devil.. he's just kind of redundant and actually one of the nicest people I've ever met.

and i dont plan on wearing this to a church or religious gathering thats for sure haha well not on purpose at least! just school and if i go to the store or wherever else

What Guys Said 7

• It doesn't offend me one bit. I don't see the word dead offending anyone, tho the burning crosses may offend certain people which is ridiculous.

• yeah i dont think dead would hurt anyone.. although i felt a bit guilty when i visited my mom in the hospital and other patients saw my shirt that said "Drop Dead"

• Personally i'm offended by crosses in general but if it's on fire it might make me smile :) You're mother can get over it. p. s. Hail Satan Kitty! \m/

• The burning cross reminds me of the kkk.

• It doesn't offend me at all, but then again I'm pretty difficult to offend.

• well thats good to know haha

• Yeah, to me it's just a shirt and I don't see anything wrong with it. Hopefully your parents will feel the saw way, but I guess you won't find out til they see you wearing it, haha.

• exactly! its not like a bought it to purposefully offend anyone, i just liked the shirt and that symbol happened to be included. since i already bought it they might not care, but who knows how parents think haha

• Great shirt to wear to your own funeral.

• Its not the style of clothing that I would wear personally, but it wouldn't offend me.

• Why do you keep getting controversial shirts?

What Girls Said 7

• That shirt is so bland, boring, and immature.

• You shouldn't buy those things. Don't play with fire.

• I'm a christian and
    A.) I love that company
    B.) I don't find it offensive but maybe I don't understand the thought behind it I don't know

• yeah who knows, but you know the company and what weird stuff they have haha

• Not offensive, go for it!

• I wouldn't care it probably doesn't mean anything it's just a tee

• agreed. but you know some people can take little things like this to extremes

• I do not like it to offensive for me.

• it could be i'd just recommend wear a jacket with it and you won't see it just incase i wouldn't be offended by it and i'm christian i'd just think okay fine your clothes your choice but i guess if you're worried better safe than sorry (regretting).

• yeah im just worried about how my parents will think of it, theyll see it eventually but still haha a jacket is a good plan just in case