Do you think wristwatches will go out of fashion?

With the rise of mobile phones and now even Google Glass, will wristwatches eventually go out of fashion like pocket watches?

• Yes. Wristwatches will go out of fashion.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've noticed some companies call them "time-pieces" now making them out to be more like jewellery or an accessory. iWatches are just not as classy looking in my opinion, and a mobile phone is just a tool, not something you actually wear. And Google Glass?--that shit just looks idiotic. If I saw someone walking around with one of those, it doesn't look cool, it looks like they're asking to be punched in the head. I thought the same thing when Bluetooth came out and saw people walking around looking like they were talking to themselves. Shopping, handsfree as if to say, Oh I'm so important I have to take this call while I'm shopping instead of actually holding their phone. I'm all for technology, but I think using it in a highhanded way just makes someone look like a pompous idiot.

But back to watches. I'm from a place where we take our watch making very seriously :) and I love the class that wearing a timepiece adds when wearing anything. They will always look beautiful to me.

What Girls Said 3

• I can't remember a time when they were in fashion... oh, wait... the 80's.

But if you mean not be in use anymore, I don't think they will. I know loads of people who just wear it out of habit. They don't even check it to tell the time. xD

• They've always been in fashion more so than 20+ years ago. The watch market is bigger now than it was 15 or 20 years ago. There's an event called BaselWorld which is held in the Town of Basel Switzerland every year where Watch and jewelry companies get together and show off their new models. Its more of a watch show than a jewelry show.

• Haha I guess it depends on where you live. Of COURSE watches will be popular in Switzerland. o. O

• They're used as an accessory as much as a sign of socioeconomic status. You also have to realize not everyone can afford a lot of technology there will always be a market for it.

• No I don't think they will

What Guys Said 7

• It might just be the people I hang out with, but I know more people who wear pocket watches than wristwatches.

• No, as they're more of a mix of fashion statement, appreciation of engineering/quality/craftsmanship, and culture.

Simply put I don't think a phone will replace an accessory.

• Maybe the cellphone will go out of fashion first imo.
    Wearable augumented reality devices is slowly picking up. The Google Glass was a flop because of how expensive it is , but I think its just a matter of time till someone market it right to the masses.

• No. I'm a huge watch fan have been since I was 5. The market for watches especially the automatics and mechanical's have been more and more popular now than they were 15, or 20+ years ago. Back in the late 80's when 95% of the population was wearing quartz or digital watches, the true collectors who could afford the higher end stuff demanded the mechanical and automatics to be made again. Some people don't realize if they can afford to drop $5k on a Rolex or $50k on a Patek Philippe they also have to account for the service cost, I remember being in a jewelry store with a guy who wanted the watch maker to look at his Rolex Submariner but they had to send it to Rolex cost him $500 just for them to open it up and look at it. Now the cost is probably close to $700. Back in 1985 for ex you could of went to a Rolex dealer bought a brand new Submariner for $1,200? Now that same watch that's 29 years old will cost $7k.

• Also before WWI wrist watches were only for the women while men wore pocket watches. But someone had the idea of strapping their Pocket watch to their wrist so it would be easier to look at the time instead of having to look at his pocket watch. They are tons of book, magazines and forums on watches, pocket watches and clocks. Also check out auction sits like www.christies.com www.sothebys.com & www.antiquorum.com, The two brands that always fetch the most money are Rolex and Patek Philippe.

• Maybe, but not how you think.
    I think we'll all move on to smartwatches, which link to our phones.

• No, because looking at your phone while on the job (in certain industries) is a big no-no.

• After I rub my penis on all of them they sure will.