Is it strange to to be coloured and and be emo?

I live in a stereotypical coloured family and I've always seen myself as the one is unable to blend in. As I have grown up little by little I have found instress in the whole emo/gothic/scene culture, had slowly fallin in love with there music and style.
In my area you would not see a coloured person to be able to follow this culture because "they can't pull it off" says some people who attend my school, and how it supposedly doesn't look right on us.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see why the race has anything to do with why something would be strange for you to like. While obviously physical appearance is all personal preference and unfortunately people still tend to prejudge based on this, your actual background should have no bearing on who you are as a person. You do not inherit your parents tastes in music or clothing style so I do not see why something would be strange for one ethnicity and not another.

What Guys Said 2

• What those people say is bullshit.

You can be whatever style suits u, the goth/emo/scene style and culture overall vibes with u, so go for it! :)

• Go for it, I'd like to see the results, maybe it's not too late for me to go emo.

What Girls Said 4

• Emo is not the same as Gothic - not even close.

Emo IS scene {but some like to pretend it's different}.

Gothic is a literary style.
    Goth is a person who enjoys this literary style and transfers it to his/her clothing and exterior overall.

No, it's not weird, it's just that black clothing won't look as striking on you as they do on those little white emo kids - if that's important to you maybe wear some other color... or dye your hair a crazy color...

• no. i'm brown and i was punk in high school.

• Emo is a genre of music. You can't BE emo.
    Lololol

• haha i had to google that... oh well you learn new things everyday! c:

• Im the odd ball in my family. I get teased for being mixed and listening to rock/metal music. But I've learned to get over it.