Who do you think spends more money on pilates? White men or black men?

I am big on pilates. I know mostly white women and upper class white men do pilates. I've spent $1000s on machine and equipment, training and classes. Yet, every pilates ad I see features a white woman with a black man. Or a black guy among all white women. I will bet you that there are far more white men spending money on pilates than black men. So what the hell is going on? Whats the purpose? Is it cuz they want to attract more women, and they assume black men are the most sexualized and attractive man to women? Or what?

As far as I know, more white men do pilates. Actually, the companies that manufacture pilates equipment are probably men too. So literally the pilates industry is supplied by white men, and mostly white women. So why are they marketing to black men? There has to be something to it, its not a coincidence. That one ad probably took a year to plan, and they knew every piece of that ad and its purpose

What is the purpose of reaching black men as a target market, when they are not the ones in demand of your product? When they are not the ones supplying your income, why do you continue to market to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• What the hell did i just read?

forums.oneplus.net/.../

• Yes I am. You can use your ironic shame tactics. But what I am saying has merit. Why dont you actually answer my question? Because you know that I have a good point and too scared to admit it

• Maybe they were simply looking to have a fit person on the advertisment and he so happened to be black. Maybe they want to seem inclusive to all types of people (ie. How often is a white male was shunned from an establishment). I still think you're looking to deep into this.

What Girls Said 5

• Hey dude I don't want to freak you out, but, black men can actually market products to white men because him being black is actually not the fuckin' point.

I mean, thousands of dollars, it clearly totally worked on you.

• No it didnt, I did pilates before this multicultural pressure became mainstream when I was like the ONLY guy doing pilates. Since I've been playing capoeira and took time away from pilates I see all these interracial, sexualized ads for pilates. And why dont you ever just answer my questions directly?

• I'll just keep raking in those upvotes brah

• If you value upvotes from uneducated sheeple over a healthy discussion where you can admit that you are wrong and possibly learn something, then I guess that says enough

The only difference between what I am saying and than the cultural narrative of historical America, is that the type of racism and sexism in the media I am criticizing is considered politically correct. And if you value political correctness over ethical depictions of people, then my claim still stands.

you're wrong. You can't admit it, and youd rather make fun of me using irony and "likes." Any further jokes you have past this point is your submission and admission of defeat.

• Pilates requires machines?

A person can spend $1000's on Pilates?

I think you have bigger things to worry about then why they hired a black actor for the ad.

That being said.

Maybe, they view the black man as an as of yet, untapped market?
    Maybe their research shows women who do pilates, like black men. or maybe, just men with good bodies
    Maybe, he was actually bi-racial, and your mind made him black.

• No he was dark black. And why would women who do pilates prefer black men if rhey are white women?

And yes the original pilates was only done with machines and it was used in ww2 to rehabilitate troops who lost limbs

• clearly, you are not a woman, and do not know how to market to us.

Beckham is hot in that ad. Beckham is pure eye candy.

• thats fine, Im not saying he isnt. But the racism and the sexism is present in both ads. Whether he's eye candy for women or not, the usain bolt ad is far more sexually explicit with an interracial theme

• White guys. I've sake several of my male balk friends about Pilates and they don't even know what it is

• So why do pilates market so much to black men? White men are the ones buying their product, so why are they excluding them from ads?

• Nah. doesn't hold up. Its a weak argument you can do better

• Well your ideA is also just a theory. But to each it's own

• Most likely white guys. Aren't pilates feminine in nature?

• No. Joseph Pilates was a physical therapist who made his own method of therapy for soldiers in ww2

• I was just thinking about pilates today. I found a few dvds and I was wondering if people still did it. Honestly, why does it matter? We are all humans does seeing a black man in an ad detour you from wanting to do it or does a white man make you want to do it more?

• well, yeah. Seeing a white man would make me feel like that studio or pilates manufacturer represents me. It makes me feel more welcome and included. Which has been the argument for multicultural advertising all along, to make minorities feel more inclusive, but thats not the case here. Because black men are not the ones purchasing pilates. The white men are.

• Yes you're absolutely right. there's some barriers though. the race topic, especially when it comes to interracial relationships, is forbidden to be discussed in public. Its the fastest way be labeled a racist and be completely denounced. Even though I have a good, well thought out argument. Most people will disagree and label me just cuz it doesn't fit the cultural narrative. And so many people who feel the same way I do, will stay silent out of fear of being labeled racist. Its the easiest way to lose credibility, even though my stance has merit. And when a topic is so taboo yhat it can't be discussed in public shows that its definitely a problem and needs to be discussed

• I understand... I understood what you were saying from the beginning and I'm sure others would to, but maybe you could level your argument with a compromise. "Yeah, you can have those posters, but have some that represent me as well" kind of thing. I'm sure that when it really comes down to it some can relate.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't spend shit on pilates:P im not talking down on it btw. I spend my $350 every 2 years and pump iron at the gym.

• They used the black guy because he's famous lol. This wasn't about what customer buys the product, this was about appeal; the power of ethos. Giving credibility to something by having a celebrity. Shaun T (a mixed guy) makes Insanity, but black people aren't the ones buying his product. For some strange reason, I feel like you're problem is the fact that the black guy is surrounded by white women rather than the commercial itself. How would you feel if it was a white guy surrounded by beautiful chocolate women in a hot tub? Would you still have asked this question?

• Yes, as many people have before me who considered themselves political activists. When its a white man surrounded by colored women, its white privilege, sexism and racism. When a black guy is sexually objectified by a group of white women on a billboard, its politically correct business.

I dont buy it.

• I've seen commercials where they feature Asian men with white women. So it's not a black thing. They're just trying to show a new diverse America.

• Yeah, but you are failing to see the difference. Showing people as multiracial families is fine. But using people as sex objects, by their race, is sexist and racist.

• Maybe these Pilates manufacturing companies are trying to reach out to black men to expand theit market base.

• Still doesn't add up. Bcause wouldn't they rather try to monopolize the white market, since they already have majority white female consumers?

• Do u feel that the Pilates industry will begin to lose the white male market, if multicultural Pilates ads using non-white men with white women, continue to be a trend?

• Well, the democrats have been slowly losing the white male vote. Mostly because white men feel that democrats have abandoned them by campaigning for the "war against women" and using the minority card whenever possible to make republicans (and white men) look bad.

Also, if they are using images of white women with black men to get black men to buy their products and sign up for pilates training, is that not demeaning to black men? Using a females white privilege to lure a black man into buying something... that sounds pretty racist to me

• You are wayyyyyy over thinking this

• Yeah tight. The agency that designed those ads spent tons of time and money planning every detail.

• You clearly have colour issues... is yellow the problem?

• No, its racism. Racism has always been the problem. Just because something is politically correct doesn't mean its not racist. And marketing agencies partnered with the fed have an agenda and exploiting political correctness while still being racist

• They can try to reach a new demographic, and what's a better way to appeal to black men than to have ads depicting a lone black man in a sea of white women?