How bad does a tattoo hurt? does it hurt more than a piercing? cause I dont get a piercing cause I know it hurts but how bout a tattoo?

I wanna get a tattoo for my birthday Does it hurt and help me on what to get if you want :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow the other girls that commented are pansies. Hahaha
    It depends on where you get the tattoo to be honest. If its on bone it'll hurt more, if its on fat not as much. Nerve endings getting tattooed will hurt also. Piercings aren't that bad either. I've had pretty much every piercing imaginable 😂
    Just go for it. Its really not that bad.

• i wanna get one on the right side of my right arm but now im thinking i should change spots because im a bit skinny

• Eh I have both my forearms, my back, the inner part of my ankle and the back of my thighs and j literally felt like sleeping the whole time. They're not bad if you can handle the annoying pain..

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 5

• That shit hurt more than anything else in my life. I tried to quit half way through and he said no. It hurt so bad that I didn't care about walking around with half a tattoo lol and I have a very high tolerance for pain.

• damn lol and i wanna get one might just get a little one

• Lol you're a boy so you're probably a tad tougher. Get a small one to start out with and let the artist test the needle with no ink in different spots to see which ones hurt the least.

• I would rather a piercing than a tatoo

• Piercing are over really quickly and tatoos can take quiet a while... and the level of pain depends on where you get it :):)

• They hurt a lot, depending on the spot. Anyone who says they don't is lying. But the pain is tolerable.

• piercings don't hurt half as much as tatoos do..

• Yes, tattoos hurt. It's kind of silly to ask if they'll hurt, let's be honest here. Also the pain of a piercing is going to be on a different scale than the pain of a tattoo. I've had piercings that have made my eyes well up and then turned around and spent 2 hours in a tattoo chair without even slight back discomfort from the awkward position.

It all depends on you, ultimately. But yes all tattoos are going to hurt at some point during the process.

What Guys Said 4

• I've got a handful of tattoos, and they really didn't hurt at all. Then again, I guess it would depend on your definition of "pain". I mean, they sting a little, and the closest thing I can really equate the feeling to is someone dragging their fingernails across that one spot repeatedly. I wouldn't call it pain, though.

Hell, I usually read a book while I'm getting one, lol. You just kind of find a way to focus on something else, and you barely even feel it.

That being said, some people have a higher/lower tolerance than others, so I'm sure it hurts some more than others. I can only speak from my experience.

I remember before I got my first one, I was so nervous that I made myself sick, lol. I kept thinking, "This is crazy; It's going to hurt a lot!" Once it was over , though, I laughed at myself because it wasn't bad at all.

• I've had near 50 piercings done over the years and I have 16 tattoos that are covering quite a selection of places. I'd say this gives me a good level of experience for what hurts more. While a piercing hurts worst for a matter of seconds then goes to a dull ache, the tattoo is more of a warm scratching sensation that is going to possibly last hours depending on the time to finish it. Both are very dependant on location to how much it hurts.

On outer upper arm area it is probably least painful tattoo I've had, I actually have fallen asleep during it more than once because I couldn't really notice anything but the tattooist touching me with his hand. While there is a list of supposed painful places for tattoo I've found some have actually been fine to handle. The key is definitely want it enough to enforce mind over matter. And no I don't have a high pain threshold, I also have sensitive skin, I just want the things done enough to take the pain if it hurts.

• I assume it's your 18th birthday? It hurts, but unless you have been sheltered your whole life and never got any scrapes and bruises growing up, it shouldn't be too bad. What annoyme is when people say "I didn't even feel it". They're lying. They felt it. From a 1-10, 1 being banging your arm on accident lightly on a desk, 5 being burning your hand on a ciggarette by accident, and 10 being pregnancy (one would assume), it's about a 4 I would say. Like I said it hurts, but by the time it starts to get to the "damn that hurts like hell" level, it already hurts in a different place. It's not so much the level of pain, but the fact that you're feeling it for 3 hours or however long it takes. You get used to it after about 20 minutes. It also depends on where you get it. The upper arm is probably the best for a first timer.

• im actually 16 and im gonna get one maybe on my 17th in January and i wanna get one on the right side of my right arm

• There you go. As long as it has a meaning, it's fine. Just be careful you know what you want before you get it. I ot my first tattoo right before I went into boot camp, that was about 4 and a half years ago.

• thats cool im just gonna man up and do it

• It mainly just hurts your employment opportunities.

• Yeah thats the problem lol i wanna get one on the right side of my right arm

• If you do get them you might want to get it on the back of your shoulder or something where you can keep it covered. I've known of people with tattoos that had luck that way by being discrete. Something on your forehead though would be just totally unacceptable. And something on the forearm might get you discriminated against. It's really all about what people will see when they're talking to you. Most companies would want you to look professional and represent them well.