I need hair help please?

I'm an African American girl, and I used to have very long and thick hair that was to the middle of my back. It fell out when I got to the 7th grade, but it was my fault for letting my mom perm it :(
I ended up getting it cut even because the perm made one side shorter that the other, and now my hair is even and it's to my shoulders.

I'm trying to grow it back to the length it was before, but nothing seems to be working. I wash it once every two weeks, I moisturize it daily, and I don't flat iron it too often.

I also don't blow dry my hair anymore- I towel dry it or let it air dry. And I don't brush it while it's wet, but I do comb it.

I haven't had a perm in years, and I sure don't want to get one.

What else can I do to make it grow back longer?

Most Helpful Girl

• Get trims every couple of months.

• How many inches?

• It does help, because it stops trying to send nutrients to the dead ends saving it for new hair growth.

• Exactly :))

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 8

• You could try caffeine shampoo? It's supposed to make your hair grow back faster.
    It sounds like you're taking pretty good care of it. You could always go into a hair salon and see if they have any other tips for you. It might be worth them feeling your hair as they'll be able to tell you if it's too dry or anything.

Are you making sure you're getting it trimmed regularly? If you don't have your hair snipped every 6 weeks or so the split ends stop it from growing as quickly. I'm not on about much off a time, literally a cm or 2.

• I never heard of caffeine shampoo, but it sounds... weird. Just because of the name. But I can do some more research on it.
      And I haven't had my hair trimmed in years, which is bad, I know.

• Good luck m'dear

• Thanks!! :)) xx

• Coconut oil! It is amazing for your hair! I use it after I take a shower, just a small amount to get rid of that frizz and make my natural curls a bit more defined. I also sometimes use it before I take a shower and let it soak in for a bit. Just make sure to use 100% cold-pressed coconut oil :)

• first of all you wash your hair once every 2 weeks? WHAT how do you manage that girl? does your hair not get greasy? Mane and tale shampoo and conditioner MIGHT help i put the might in caps as it does not work well on some types of hair. My sister hates it but it seems to work fine on mine dosnt make it strawlike or anything, it actually kinda looks like sperm when you squeeze it out of the bottle lol but there's no funny smell or anything. My hair is already very long and i have only really started using it so i can't tell you myself how well it is at growing hair but my hairdresser uses it and her hair used to be really short and she swears it works like. Another thing is get ur hair trimmed when split end comes as that will not halt growth but when you go back to hairdressers theyll hack more off because its 'dead hair' learnt the hard way lol

• Well I don't want to over wash it, or that'll delay hair growth, not to mention it'll make my hair dry and damage it.
      I use coconut oil shampoo and conditioner, and it helped some, but it's not working all that much now. So it might be time to switch to the Mane & Tale shampoo and conditioner/

• I know you dont im just amazed your hair could last that long without needing washed i can't go 3 days without washing mine! lol you can buy it cheap on ebay rather than pay the shelf price, I reccomend you try it once or twice see how it works for you. Also if you do find your hair getting greasy you can use the dry spray shampoo quick and handy for the morning rush too.

• a reason why your coconut oil shampoo and conditioner might not be working as well now is because your hair has got used to the product changing around for a wile and going back to the product might help that

• Try castor oil! If you look it up on YouTube then you'll find a ton of testimonies from girls with natural hair swearing by this stuff. I've been using it for a few weeks and I've noticed results. You could also try vitamins. I've been taking Hair, Nail & Skin vitamins for a while now and they're pretty effective. You could also try a deep conditioning treatment weekly. Good luck! :D

• Thank you!! What kind of vitamins do I need? And should I ask my doctor first?

• You could check with your doctor to see if taking vitamins is a healthy option for you, but I don't think it's totally necessary. Just make sure you don't take more than what's recommended on the bottle- that could make you sick! I got my vitamins from CVS and they're just called "Hair, Nail & Skin Vitamins." You should research it; there are a TON of healthy hair vitamins out there!

• Awesome!! I'm going to research it now and write them down. Thanks!! :)) xx

• be patient its at a good length NOW -- it will grow faster if u DONT pay so much attention to it - keep it moisturized -- and be happy -- u can do relaxers NOT your mom though as NO OVER LAPPING IT - just replace the protein u will be fine - it will grow long and u will find it annoying -i am black female also and USED to always have it LONG -- now i will grow it back in and have it shorter cause the fun funky styles are SHORT the long styles are BORING... nothing much u can do with all that long hair!!! enjoy the lenght u are at NOW!!!

• I really like your answer :))
      The longer it is, the harder it is to take care of.

• AND NO keep washing and deep conditioning WEEKLY u need it WEEKLY not every TWO WEEKS!!!

• I'm confused- I thought wearing ponytails all the time can damage it O_o
      And I'll wash it once a week for now on.

• Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Water keeps skin and hair hydrated, and bodies healthy! Use a good conditioner. "Moisturizing" shampoo doesn't really matter, whether it claims to be or not. Shampoo lathers, therefore each kind will strip your hair of its natural oils. But, conditioner always leaves a sort of "residue" in your hair, so it's better to have one that has good reviews and smells amazing. Wash your hair regularly: but washing your hair too often can leave it without necessary oils; so wash your hair every 3rd day, and, also, when you do some unusually dirty/dusty activity. The scalp accumulates dirt, oil and dust which can cause the hair follicles to clog up. Regular washing is also beneficial to keeping that scalp clean and keeping the hair shaft clear. Always rinse hair products out of your hair with very cool water. It seals the cuticle and locks in moisture/oils, leaving your hair silky and smooth. If you rinse it with hot water that needed moisture and oil wash out, and you will notice that your hair is a lot frizzier, than if you rinse it with cool water. Take a daily multivitamin! Vitamins keep our skin, hair, and nails healthy. Also, if you don't already take vitamins and you start taking them daily you may notice that your hair is growing a little fasterEat a lot of protein. It makes hair strong and healthy! Only get split ends trimmed off when you need to. Remember that hair grows from the top of your head, not the ends. So if you want your hair to be healthy only cut split ends when you have to. Keep up with cutting only split ends - because if you don't your splits will go higher and higher up your hair and then break. So your hair will be shorter. Keep loose hairstyles and don't use rubber bands or metal hair slides. They rip your hair out. Don't dye your hair while you are trying to grow it out. Don't put your hair up too tight, as this may cause your hair to break. :) Hope this helps.

• I drink plenty of water and my hair still won't grow. I'm starting to believe that's a myth.

• Mineralrich makes my hair and nails grow crazy fast, but I rarely straighten my hair. I do it like once a year if that. http://www.maximumliving.com/mineralrich/

• I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but are you supposed to drink it or use it in your hair? It looks like a bottle of juice XD

• You drink a table spoon of it a day :0 Don't chug it like juice!!! XD tbh it taste like cherry juice, so keep it away from small children. You may be able to find it at natural food stores. It's really the biotin that you want that is in it.

• Biotin tablets are supposed to help with strong and long hair growth, you can get them on ebay quite cheap.

• Awesome!!

• also Rosemary is supposed to encourage hair growth, get some fresh sprigs and put it in your shampoo or conditioner (not sure which would be best as I'm not used to dealing with your type of hair and it's very different from mine which needs washing a couple of times a week)

• I can Google it. Thanks so much!!