Does water really make your hair grow?

I'm starting to think it's a myth because I drink plenty of water everyday yet my hair is still the same length. WTF?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really no. But protein and fish oil supplements (they contain omega-3) can help.

• I'm going to buy some of those from GNC whenever I get more money. About how long do they take to work?

• Is your hair bleached/dyed? If yes, then that might be a reason. The ends are probably breaking-off due to damage.

• No. I never dyed my hair or bleached it.

What Guys Said 11

• No.
    Understand what hair is made of.
    Keratin.
    The same material that your nails and skin is made of.

You want them to grow healthily , a good way is to get adequate protein intake and good hydration (as in drinking water , moisting your skin with water will only dry it out faster later on)

• Thanks!! I knew that water for hair growth is a myth.

• Well the way I see drinking and eating is... its the same as pissing and breathing.
      Its a bodily function.
      Food is fuel , water is the lubricant and air is salary for the workers.
      You gotta do it cos you have to , you can skip a bit on the lubricant if you want but it's not gonna run so well.

• Yeah that's right!! I can even eat less than 1,000 calories and not be hungry for the rest of the day.
      just tired of hearing about the 6-8 glasses of water thing. Plus, I go to school so I don't want to drink all that water and then have to keep leaving class to pee.

• I don't know about that I mean water is very important to help the whole system in your body to function more properly, but the most important thing for people to realized is how the hair in your body functions the hair cycle goes through three different phases Anagen phase, catagen, and telogen phase so it all depends what phase your hair is going through the anagen is the growing phase in your hair, the catagen is the resting, and the telogen phase is the hair shedding phase where your hair falls out, the hair on your head goes through the telogen phase for about 3 months and the anagen phase 2-7 years for the average human everyone is different. Unless you had some disease such as alopecia areata these phases shouldn't be disrupted or its time shouldn't change. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle
    This tells you about the phases your eyebrows and body hairs go through.

• If if it were true, wouldn't swimmers look like rapunzel?

• no in fact if you wash your hair everyday will make them fall

• That's why I wash it once a week only.

• so depends on the hair then...

• Yeah

• Water hydrates your body it's good to help the vitamins go through
    your body

• If it "helps" then why is my hair the same length?

• Your're Welcome:)) But genes , traits all got to do why hair gets thin
      if you have a poor diet your hair can get thin

• Yeah

• Protein and vitamins do. Water helps transport nutrients faster.

• Exactly.

• That's why I don't listen to people who say water helps your hair grow because clearly it doesn't. Biggest BS I ever heard in my life.

• Well yes water actually hydrates the body and helps to regulate the circulatory system, which feeds the hair follicle, which then stimulates hair growth.

• It must not work for me then because I drink plenty of water each day. So what's the problem?

• I've never heard that water directly effects hair growth.

• it certainly doesn't it harm it from growing. Drinking water if it did anything would be such a small difference it wouldn't be noticeable

• Yes it does but I think you mean if you drink lots of water it will grow. What you are suppose to do is water your hair like a plant every morning. Adding fertilizer enhances growth by up to 70% also/.

• Of course it's a myth. Where do you people get these things from?

• I heard it from other users on here and on WikiHow. It's pretty much everywhere.

• I understand what you're saying. And that's why I don't listen to people who say that. Bunch of BS. Water my ass. Tired of being lied to -_-

• Well if you stop drinking water it will stop growing... but drinking more and more water won't make it grow faster unless you're normally dehydrated/malnourished.

What Girls Said 4

• Protein, not water is what makes your hair grow. There are special nutritional supplements that are just for skin, hair and nails that work really well, but are slightly expensive. A cheaper option would to dissolve a tsp of brewer's yeast in water or orange juice each morning and drink it, preferably before breakfast. Most people say it works wonders.

• It's not that easy. You have to watch your diet as well and take care of yourself

• Which I'm trying to do.

• I don't know about you but all i know is that water is the solution for everything :)

• How?

• Water isn't the solution to everything. Actually, it can do more harm than good.