What is needed to do modelling?

Just curious, not for me haha

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are talking about fashion/runway modeling, then they are looking for a very specific body type: at LEAST 5' 8" (5'10" or better is preferred), skinny, and a pretty face (an exotic look is a plus). You can get away with slightly more weight if you have some boobs and butt for certain things, such as Victoria's Secret, but you still need to be thin. Most successful fashion models start when they are 12 or 13, and are making waves at 16 and 17, and peak at 18-21. Fashion careers are often over by 22 - only a rare exception (aka supermodel) gets work until they're 28 or so.

But then there is glamour modeling and catalog modeling, where a much wider range of looks, ages, and body types are used. Of course, this is not the jet-setting, red-carpet lifestyle - this is modeling for the Old Navy sales ads and the JCPenny catalog, or for someone's art poster or their boat motor or whatever it is they're trying to sell.

Subsets of glamour would include fetish (nude and non-nude) and of course, p*rn. The money for this tends to be better, and there is lots of work available, even for the "less than perfect" model.

One thing about modeling in general: you have to know how to handle rejection, because you likely won't get booked for 95% of the jobs you go out for, and you might be fired from a job you've booked, or had your booking canceled at the last minute, simply because someone decided they preferred someone else's look over yours. It's a tough business, but you have to learn not to take that stuff personally.

Like most creative jobs (musician, actor, artist, etc.), there are 10,000 people, at least, for every one up-scale, good-paying job, and the 9,999 who don't make it usually have to have a day job to make ends meet. But someone has to be that 1 in 10,000, so it might be your friend. You never know.

• She has the face and its unfair for her because she is about 5'3 i say not sure but that is the only think in her way :(

• There is absolutely NOTHING about fashion modeling (or any other creative type jobs) that is fair. You either have exactly what they want, or you don't get hired.

Again, there are other kinds of modeling, but fashion? No, those rules are hardcore, and probably less than 1 girl in 100,000 even meets the minimum requirements.

What Guys Said 5

• Height, proportions, symetry, clear skin, distinct features. And the willingness to show skin and take your clothes off. Sure you don't have to but if you want to be successful, you'll be pressured into doing topless shots. I can't think of a single successful model that hasn't posed for a reveaLing picture at least at some point in their carreer. So I guess it depends on how far you want to go in the industry but I'll say don't do anything you're not comfortable with. Know when to say no and keep to your principles whatever they may be. Definitely do research on the industry, have a parent/guardian accompany you to all your shoots until you've over 18, and ALWAYS research a photographer before you work with him.

• Thanks good answer

• No problem... just be careful if you do get involved in the industry, there's a lot of negative phycological effects from it because of the pressure to stay a certain weight, people are mean to you, there's drugs, and a lot of pervy photographers (Google Terry richardson) . It's certainly not an industry for the weak of heart. I don't think many people make it out completely unscathed. I'm not trying to scare you but that industry can have a lasting negative effect on your life, I just don't think it's this glamorous dream job that a lot of girls think it is.

• So just be realistic with your expectations. Hope for the best but me emotionally prepared for the worst.

• depends models come in various sizes and ages

• It really depends on what type of modelling you are talking about.

• Are you interested in modeling yourself?

• Noooo! I am not i am to small also haha

• Lol ok must have been a curiosity question I'm guessing.

• Big boobs and a tight ass certainly help!

• haha ok!

• Unless she wants to be a lingerie model, neither of those would help at all.

• Wow! lol! That sounds pretty compelling! A double threat! And I'd say that's pretty perfect for modeling lingerie! :P

What Girls Said 6

• Depends on what modeling you want to do. If it for runaways you have to be at least 5'8 and up. You also have to love the camera, it's about bringing your feelings to the camera so you can sell the product. You have to have the ideal waist, bust and hips. A strict diet, good posture, exercise a lot, take care of your skin.
    Also, if you're going on casting don't look like you're going to a party. The client wants to see your body type, fresh face, and that's it. So normal clothes for casting like a tight shirt jeans and heels to make your legs look longer.

• Okay thank you answer is helpful a lot. But it for my friend she could model easy her face is perfect but she is only about 5'2-3

• Her Dad is quite tall i think he must be about 6'2 her mam is about 5'5 i think :) Thanks, I hope one day she makes it she certainly has face to :)

• Nice, if she has her dad genes then she will grow. But it all depends.

• well if you know a person that has a modelling certificate, they can help you become a model :) my mum has one, so thats how i got into modelling :) If not, find a modelling company that would suit you :)

• I'd say at least 5'7, long neck, symetrical face, good bone structure (cheekbones, jawline), skinny and good posture

• If she's at least 5'7", slender, and symmetrical she could do runway modeling. Shorter than that she could do the following:
    *catalog work
    *import car model
    *hands or feet model

• To be tall and a stick

• Height, at least 5'7
    Skinny, size 0-000
    Symmetrical pretty face
    Good smooth skin
    Smaller boobs for high fashion. Even most Victoria's secret models actually have smaller breasts, they just use push ups and bombshells.