What should a young guy (18) wear on a first date? Help?

I am 18 and I am going out on a first date with a girl that I really like, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to wear. We are both in uni and we sit together in lectures but I don't really know her too well. I've only been out with one other girl and we had been friends for years before our first date.

At University I generally wear jeans or dress pants with a button up shirt and a sweater, should I just wear the same? I have a couple of nice blazers that I could wear over the top of that. I also have a very nice well-fitting navy suit that I could wear. Would that be too much?

it is abundantly clear to me that I am overthinking this but she's really pretty, and I'm nervous XD. I want to look nice without her thinking that it's over the top. Would an 18 year old girl think a suit is too much?

Advice is much appreciated, thanks.

• Casual: Dress pants/jeans, button up shirt and sweater
    61% (49)55% (28)59% (77)Vote
  • Semi-formal: Dress pants, button up shirt and blazer
    34% (27)24% (12)30% (39)Vote
  • Formal: Suit up
    2% (2)4% (2)3% (4)Vote
  • See answers
    3% (2)17% (9)8% (11)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
By the way, we are going to a nice restaurant for our date.

0|0
22|18

Most Helpful Girl

• since u r going to a restaurant make it semi formal but nothing more than that. U need to make her feel comfortable n gud around u, formal will make it look like its some kind of a business meeting and
    casual - no cause, u need to tell that it is not something u do everyday, its something special!
    :) I prefer the colourful one! so do most of the girls n the 1st one looks so bossy... ur choice.!
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

1|0
    0|0
    • Colorful one is the shittiest outfit I've seen all day, and I work at a grocery store.

• Show All
    • I mean with leopard spots and yellow and those ugly shoes. I don't see how that'd look good on anyone.

• lol I get that but its a sample of what u can choose to wear not that u have to wear it like that!! it looks gud on him (the model) so it depends. My opinion is that u should choose something colourful and vibrant! :)

What Girls Said 21

• You definitely don't want to suit up for a first date. Girls appreciate an effort but that might be going a little too far considering it's not really something most guys your age would be wearing. Casual or semi-formal would be perfect given the situation of dinner and you're still making an effort.
    Best of luck with everything. She's agreed to go on a date with you so that's always a plus. <3

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on where you're going, but the best advice I can give is to just be comfortable, and look like your true self. If you usually rock blazers and dress pants, stick with that. But, if you're more of a jeans kind-of-guy, go with that look.

0|1
    0|0
  • From what you said, I assume that you generally dress well and you won't have a problem picking the right clothes. Relax, you're too anxious. I think it's better to wear semi-formal clothes. Casual clothes you wear every day and you may look underdressed in the restaurant. A suit on the other hand is too much, you'll look too uptight and like you try too much.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, what type of girl is she? Does she like more casual clothing, or does she fancy an all-out suit and tie?

If you don't know, I'd go with a casual/formal in-between. I think that a normal girl would want you to dress up a little bit more than you usually do, just to show that you think that the date is important.

0|1
    0|0
  • If your going to a nice restaurant. Semi-formal. If you want to be taken seriously then look like it !! Good luck !!!

0|1
    0|0
  • How about jeans with a blazer? If you wear a suit, it would be a touch too much in my opinion :)

2|0
    0|0
  • jeans and a blazer!

0|0
    0|0
  • Dark jeans with a blazer. Not overly casual or formal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Semi formal looks nice :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I find suits hot but I'm a bit weird. Casual might be the right direction.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say be casual. Unless your casual is basketball shorts, graphic tees, and backwards baseball caps... otherwise I think you'll be good

Maybe a button up, and some khakis?

0|0
    0|0
  • 'A', but lose the sweater

0|0
    0|0
  • omg this is 18 days old xD why does it still show up xD are you STILL thinking about what to wear?

0|0
    0|0
  • Its your first date, so keep it simple and nice... you can wear all the formal stuff to your next date if you really click with her!

0|0
    0|0
  • where a bouts are you going? i know i voted casual but semi formal would make the girl feel like your trying and you really like her

0|0
    0|0
    • We're going to a nice restaurant

• i feel like semi formal would be the best because its in the middle it won't be to casual or to formal. but mainly its your decision! :)

• Thanks

• It's your first date. Just wear nice jeans and a sweater. Be yourself. That includes your wardrobe. :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • nice jeans, button up and casual dress shoes. do not wear sneakers

0|0
    0|0
  • You want to look good not not to formal or to casual button up shit and some nice dress pants

0|0
    0|0
  • Casual or semi formal

0|0
    0|0
  • A boxer bowtie and a hat

0|0
    0|0
  • Dress nicely.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• casual... formal wil make you look like ridiculous LOL

0|2
    0|0
    • Yeah, I thought so, but I never get a chance to wear a suit D: haha. I don't think it would be too much to wear a blazer though.

• It's just a date, man. Dress appropriately for the venue, like you would (hopefully) for anything else.

0|0
    0|0
    • I do like that "t-shirt" wasn't in ANY of your option sets, though. You've got the right idea, you'll do fine.

• I votes casual, but it really depends where you're planning to guy. You gonna wear a suit to a picnic?

0|0
    0|0
  • I would go with casual coloured chinos with nice brown dress shoes if you want. A casual enough shirt or even a plain t-shirt with the blazer.
    Wear jeans if you want but do not wear sneakers with them like I see some people do.
    A nice cardigan would be good too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be yourself... If your not wearing the things you prefer to wear, then you are lying to her, from the get go.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well if u believ me or not, the girls usually pay attention a lot about what u wear :D specially in first date :D
    So just be urself, because after that first time, if she would like to be with u, she would ask u to be like first time most of the time :D so u can just ask her if ur clos with her and if not, just use ur good and usual clothes that u like :)
    Good luck :p

0|0
    0|0
  • dude... gals chek our butts... did u know that...

wear tight pants/jeans to show butts...
    and ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES... its like p*rn for women...

need more pointers?

1|1
    0|0
  • A shirt is pretty formal too. A blazer is a bit overkill for a 18y. o. though. You'll look good in a shirt, more important, be a gentleman.

Hm. 13days old. How did it go?

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear Clothes.

0|2
    0|0
  • Wear a nice shirt and some nice jeans. No sweater.

0|0
    0|0
  • Make a night of it put on your suit and ask her to dress formally too. It will make it feel more of an event, something special

0|0
    0|0
  • a birthday suit. never go on a date m8. ask her to come watch a movie and 'chill'.

If she passes the test Then take her out on a proper date

0|0
    0|0
  • lol a button up shirt sweater and dress pants is casual to you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing. . .

0|0
    0|0
  • Dress like yourself, I always texted the date before and asked her what to wear, trying to be cute.

0|0
    0|0
  • Slacks and tucked in dress shirt, or button down shirt and dress pants or dark color jeans

0|0
    0|0
  • I think like maybe a little more than normal but nothing crazy show that you wanted to look kind of nice but don't show up in a suit unless you're going to some super nice restaurant.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only advise I have is don't go naked... for whatever reason it's frowned upon.

1|0
    0|0