Dying my hair for the first time. Tips?

Im dying my hair for the first time. I want a very vibrant color. Looking at manic panics line of dyes. Any tips?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you want it more vibrant bleach it out with a volume 20 lightener. The longer you leave the color on the more vibrant. I usually go for pinks, blues, purples ect. If you apply color to just your hair without bleach depending on the color of your hair you will just have a hue if it is dark if it is a lighter shade it will be more visible. Since you have virgin hair you will only need to bleach it once for about 15-20 minutes to lift the color to a pee pee yellow. Then wash dry and apply the desired color leave in for 15-45 minutes. Manic panics do not fry hair so don't fret your hair will not be damaged. When rinsing the manic panic color out rinse with cold water it will close the cuticle and only condition no shampoo till you really need to shampoo. Only use a color treated shampoo when needed.

• I have very dark hair. Almost black. Will a 15 minute bleach do okay?

• Don't use 40 volume on virgin hair. I'm a beautician that stuff will fry it and damage it. You will have dry breakage that falls out. If you want a higher volume developer don't go any higher then 30.

• I'll stick to the 20 then haha

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• I've used manic panics red a lot of times! It shows up very vibrant without even having to bleach your hair! To protect your skin around hair line use vaseline, make sure to wash hair in cold water every time you wash your hair to prolong color, and wash as little as you can stand it. I like to fix a protein filler (red filler w/ red dye) to get the color to attach to my strands more. Let me know if you have any questions! I have lots of experience haha. Good luck :)

• before you dye it, start prepping weeks ahead with deep conditioners (moisture & protein) to get it in tip top condition

• Buy some special hair oil if you can if you bleach it first. Hair dye can leave your hair very brittle.

• When I'm doing a color that's drastically different from my old color, I like to go to a salon, just to make sure that it looks good. Then I'll touch it up myself when it fades or my roots grow.

• you're gonna wanna bleach your hair, definitely. don't leave it on too long, and make sure you check it every 10 minutes ish to see how much it's lightened. manic panic is kinda expensive, and it doesn't last as long as Splat in my opinion. i've used the pink splat, and its very very vibrant and deep pink, until it fades. then it fades to a pretty pastel pink. it lasted me at least a few months. I've heard manic panic washes out quickly. but with all hair dye, make sure you wash it with cool water, and try not to wash it a LOT. its best if you go a few days without shampooing. itll make the color last longer. splat is about 9 or 10$ and comes with bleach, so its awesome.

• How do I check it? Like... wash a piece out?

• Alright. Thank you!

• you're welcome! :D

• There's nothing really to it except make sure you read directions carefully and don't let it sit for too long, make sure you wipe any dye that you accudently got on your skin because it will stain it, deep condition your hair afterwards which will restore it after putting those chemicals in your hair, and use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners (it helps color last longer) :) oh and of course make sure you're completely positive that you really want that color before dying it