Can people read eyes?

Can a person read another person's eyes, or is it a metaphoric saying? A metaphoric saying to say that they know how you are feeling.

Every time I talk to a friend she says "all I ever see in your eyes is pain". She knows I hurt, so is she saying she understands. Or can people actually read your feelings through your eyes?

Is it just the eyes, or does the whole face play a role in discerning how someone feels.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, it's entirely possible to see how people feel by looking at their eyes and, as someone else said, eyebrows. They're basically the most personal part of the face. They make people look distinct. That's why they cover them up sometimes in, like, evidence in courtrooms, or whatever, when they want to keep the identity of somebody hidden. Obviously the rest of the face is important too, but the eyes are by far the most important part.

What Girls Said 3

• I think some could it depends on who your talking to some people are better at reading people then others are.

• I think it's more the eyebows that show what you are feelling, raise eyebrows means suprised, when eyebrows are frowned you are angry, when you eybrows tilt then you are sad. Or something along those lines. So it's not in the eyes but the eybrows and forehead together.

• Oh you can read peoples eyes, I have seen haunting in peoples eyes, I have seen sadness, I have seen happiness it is possible.

What Guys Said 2

• eyes (or rather the muscles around them) can be extremely expressive: most people can (subconsciously) spot the difference between a real laugh and a faked laugh by looking at the eyes, for example.

there's a whole area of body language dealing with eyes; so - yes: people can read eyes.

• The eyes can reflect our mood or what's on our mind, so this is fully possible.