Do guys really rate girls just for fun?

A mutual friend of my crush and I was playing the "rate a girl game" with my crush and my crush was giving ratings. For me, he only said "oh, she's sweet". no number. It makes me sad! I feel like he wasn't rating me because he didn't want to tell the guy I was a 6, because then our friend tell me. I know it's silly to be bothered over, but I am! Can guys explain this please?

wow thanks for all the responses, I wasn't expecting so many

Most Helpful Guy

• 'She's sweet' means they know you as a person and aren't about to objectify you with a numerical rating. And besides, if they gave you a 10, is that really going to make your life that much greater?

What Guys Said 20

• I don't - at least, not as a game, and not as a comparative thing.

I'll say "she's hot" or something, so technically, that's a "rating" and my friends might disagree and give reasons... But by numbers? Not really. Do we compare? Yes. Do we talk about it? it depends.

One time, we were all looking at pictures of celebrities. The girls in the group were all obsessing about different male celebs, so then we guys did it too, with the celeb women.

And it wasn't a "rating of close friends." We don't do that much (at least not by numbers, and usually not specific... "it's usually like wow, _________ is gorgeous!" Not she's a 5 or 8 or 10.

I guess it depends on culture. Some of the guys wrote down rating system for all the girls in our group, and stupidly left it behind. Understandably, the girls hated the guys for it. It was a bit rude, stupid. The ratings somehow got out to certain girls and made them really upset. Bad taste, writing it down. Bad taste making it about girls they knew and just figuring in appearance. It made the whole lot of us guys look bad.

Actually, I wouldn't want to know my rating (I know girls rate me just about as low as any guy could be rated), because I know it'd be low. And there's not much I can do, outside of hiring a PR firm and making a cool million a year to improve that rating. I'd probably be at 1 with everything counted.

So don't worry.

So that's two guys opinions. What's your rating with your future boyfriend or husband? Or you?

• Rating a friend creates all kinds of complications especially if they're sitting there in the same room with you. Everyone plays the "would you?" game at some point but they usually don't talk about the person sitting next to them, because it's just for fun and no one wants to hurt anyone's feelings over it or reveal some secret lusting accidentally.

• I don't think your gonna get a crush to act sweet and romantic in front of another guy. Or maybe he's not used to acting like that or doesn't at all.

• Yes sometimes we do it for fun! its nothing serious!

• I'm sure you'd feel differently if we started rating your skills in bed, dear.

• I would not mind if it was not serious. Even I would not take it very seriously. If its serious then its different matter:-)

• We just know mutual friends are always rats and that's all there is to it.

• how do you know he rates you a 6?

he was trying to be nice. didn't want to offend you with any rating.

you could rate a person 8 or 9 but the person will still be freaking out as to why their not a 10.

• i wouldn't look to deeply in to this he probably said it because he didn't feel he could sum up his feelings about you in a number or it really was just a game and therefore just something for fun

• Not for fun, love.

SERIOUS BUSINESS!

• It's just something that guys do and I bet if you checked around, a lot of girls do it too. As you mature it can be kinda fun. My girlfriend and I sometimes sit around and discuss how hot or not the people around us are. It doesn't mean that we love each other any less or that we think the other person is less attractive...

• i rate girls all the time , like at a bar I might say to myself that a girl was like say an 8 or 9 out of 10 if she was really good looking , just sort of something I do at times . really no big deal or anything wrong I feel .

• dont worry guys just usually comfortable rating girls that are in front of them

from your picture your obviously quit attractive so don't worry about it and don't be so self concouse

• Well does he know you like him if so. Then he didn't want to get your hopes up. And if he didn't maybe he want you to rate him... First. Guys are very selfish wheather you realize it or not. Also guys like to be concided so that's pretty much all I got. But yes some guys do really rate girls just for fun and others do it just because they are just with friends.

• we do it for fun

dont take tht personaly but we stillstand by our ratings

they rr personally based on physical features

and to be honest you look like a perfect 10 to me

• He just thinks of you as a friend maybe? You don't look like a 6 though, probably higher, but then again, can't see you face to face, so who am I to give my opinion.

• honestly by your picture I'll rate your face as a 8.5, maybe higher.

if you have a good body it can go up to a 9.

• i even played that game today with my cousin...so yes I do

• well it is a sad thing we guys do just to keep our selves occupied

• your cute as hell !

he likes you just isn't going to tell you overwise the fun flirting is over!

and don't worry ur not a 6 id go for you:)

• yep, my friend and I do it all the time while we are working just to pass time and make working that much funner.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes, they do, but it isn't some serious deal. I know it concerns you because girls over analyze everything about a guy they like or relationships. We drive ourselves crazy trying to figure it out and the guy actually put very little into thinking about anything they did that we worry about. Guys do not over analyze their behaviors the way we can, they just do it.

The only way you will ever know if this guy actually has an interest in you will be if he asks you out and you start dating. Short of that, who knows what he thinks but he did say something nice.

• Guys do it all the time. I've even known some girls to do it. When I was in high school, these guys came up with a list of the hottest senior girls. You just can't pay attention to that stuff because every person has different tastes. Some guys will think you're a 10 and others will not.

• it depends on what guys rate. it's all superficial anyways, who cares. guys can be assholes sometimes. find a better guy to like

• I think it's nice that he didn't give you a number and talked about your personality instead... take it as a good thing :)

• Rating is stupid. I hate it, it is very immature and me and my mom were talking about this and she said when she was in high school (she graduated in 1995) guys were not so immature as to do this in front of girls! Anyway just the other day this guy rated me to my face and said I was a 7. I was stunned because I thought this kid liked me. He also went on to say no one in real life is more than a 7 or 8. And only celebrities are a 10.

• I work with a lot of guys sometimes at my job. We serve ice cream ...and the guys make a chart on a piece of paper and every girl that walks in they rate 1-10...its kinda sad.

• yeah of course they do but DO IT TO THEM! hell yah rate them too! it's fun. I do it witgh my friends lol.or play "F**** , kill or marry" about your friends or celebs or whoever. lol. then rate them on a scale of 1 to 10. don't take those idiots seriously though. These gross majority of plain boring men like wghatever the airbrushed media tells them to like. Did you know that playboy airbrushes the labias small as they can !lol

• babe you gotta believe ur a 10...and when your crush said "oh, she's sweet" maybe he didn't want to tell your friend your a 10 so he won't come and tell you...not because he didn't want to tell the guy you were a 6=)

• i heard that some guys don't reveal what girl they like and stuff to other guys and of course her mutual friends...guys don't talk openly about their feelings like that...so if lets say the guys were playing rate the girl game...he would lie about the girl he really does like so it doesn't appear obvious he's into her...otherwise the other guys would tease him, make fun of him, or even compete with him out of jealousy...

guys only tell the girl if he likes her...they don't tell other guys usually or ask for advice much like we girls talk to our bffs about it

• same thing happened to me, the guy said I'm nice and fun to be around...but nothing special...so I started giving him such importance and actually found my own circle of friends, he started chasing me and now suddenly became more interested...

i think you should do the same, be a friend and keep it cool, but don't give him such importance or attention...hes not that hot cmon... ;]