What constitutes a hipster? What makes a person a hipster? How do they dress? How do they act?

I keep getting called hipster so I want to see if the boot fits.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• A hipster is someone who goes against the mainstream as a specific goal ("I listened to that band before it was popular") but refuses to acknowledge him/herself as part of a group doing so - even though most hipsters go against the mainstream in similar ways.

If you pursue an individual path without regard to the mainstream-ness or not of it... you're not a hipster in my understanding.

• They're all over South East London (legit hipsters) wearing the latest clothing styles and later ditching them when the styles catch on.. They only go to obscure cafes, clubs and restaurants to be the first to discover it and get irritated when it starts to catch on. It's the same with their music taste. They despise it when other people listen and like the music they believed that they liked first.

Because beanies, beards, doc martens and messenger bags are everywhere, hipsters wouldn't dress like that any more. Because everyone else is doing it. They're basically a tiny minority of high style elitists..

• What the guy below said

What Guys Said 1

• They need to be as arrogant, judgmental and condescending as me, if not more.