Little girls and beauty pageants?

This question popped into my head when I saw a commercial for the show Toddlers & Tiaras. The way the little girls dress in that show and the way their makeup was done struck me as ridiculous. They looked like miniature adults, which I think is wrong. I don't know what the parents of these girls are thinking. If I were a mother, I would never do that to my child. Why do they have to make their girls look so overdone and synthetic? Why can't they enter their young daughters looking like the little girls that they are? I have nothing against beauty pageants, but I think that they are becoming extremely over the top, and in a way, I think that they are teaching little girls that the only way they could be considered beautiful is artificially, when that's not true. What are your opinions on this matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. I think it's incredily sickening that little girls have to go through that to be judged in a contest. I don't think it used to be that way I think it's gotten extremely worse as time has gone by. I really think it's do to the parents and the sponsors who have made it into a fashion show and almost like a prostitute race because that's what the little girls look like. They look like little prostitutes with all that makeup and fake teeth in and the way they have them dressed up. It's not about talent or natural cuteness anymore, it's all about how much of an middle aged woman they look like. Personally, I feel it's this way because of the media and that the mothers of these kids want to live out their dreams through their daughters therefore they dress them up like 40 year old women.

• You are absolutely right. They do look like that, and it's really quite sad, I think. Those little girls undergo a complete transformation when competing, and I honestly think that they look so much better without all of the false teeth, inappropriate outfits, heavy makeup, etc.

What Guys Said 2

• Sick, Sick, Sick. It's clearly a form of child abuse, and I'm surprised it's not outlawed. Who in the world finds this entertaining! The mothers of these kids are plainly psychotic.

• Creepy. Who is it to really benefit, the child or the parent?

What Girls Said 4

• OK! I know exactly what you're talking about because there was one little girl who had on a freaking rhinestone studded COP COSTUME! Like cosplay stripper Cop Costume with handcuffs. Why are these mothers making their girls Loli bait? Seriously...I always wonder if the people in the audience besides are pageant parents are pedophiles. I feel like there are just pedos watching that show like porn...legal porn.

And another mother had twin daughters, Brianne and Ashlyn and she said. "Brianne is bubbly and lights up on stage and she's a winner. She's fun, and...Ashlyn is just Ashlyn." I wanted to call DCF on her ass. But her daughter Ashlyn won and I was happy because at least she showed her Mama. But still debating calling DCF on these people.

I just feel like with what goes on in pageants, they are taking away these girls childhoods by sexualizing them and working them for hours. I mean...what the hell happened to soccer? Doesn't anyone just play soccer for competition anymore. You have to dress up your four year old like a Prostitot? You have to give people a reason to come up with the word Prostitot?

TLC should be ashamed. ASHAMED.

• Oh my goodness! O_O; That is really awful! But I sadly have to agree with you on the pedophile thing... I don't understand what this world is coming to...

• You pretty much summed up my opinion. I actually find those shows rather disturbing. You get parents who are crazy involved in the competitions and encourage their young daughters to focus on their appearance. I wonder how those girls are affected when they don't win; does it bring down their self-esteem? Does it reinforce the idea that artificial means of beauty are the way to go if you want to get ahead? I don't see how those competitions can be beneficial later on in a girl's life.

• Exactly! I think that these sorts of pageants don't really have any positive points about them, either. I think that that sort of competition is not healthy at all. Pageants sure have changed over the years. One of my cousins had been entered in one when she was younger, and I saw it on video, and it was nothing like the pageants today.

• you bring up great points that I think most of us will agree with. plus no one should want to make their child seem attractive in a grown up way, the only ones interested in that are pedifiles. and I think parents should help girls know their other strengths, not just beauty.

• AGREED. everyone else has said what I wanted to say.