When is it too late to start modeling?

I'm currently 14, going to be 15 in about a month and a half. I have had no experience whatsoever in modeling! I don't know how to get started. Well, it's not that I don't know how to get started, it's just that my PARENTS don't want me to be a model. They say academics come first and that modeling is bad, and all that crap. And I'm looking at Tyra Banks, Kate Upton and Kate Moss and they all started at around 14. I don't know how to convince my parents to let me model! When is it too late to start?

And I'm hoping to be a renowned top model like Tyra Banks, not just a regular model that no one has heard of.

Most Helpful Guy

• Drive and Determination. If you really want to do it then you're going to have to neglect what your parents say. Don't let them destroy your dreams like what mine did.

• Awwww :( What happened? What did you want to do that your parents didn't want you to do?

• I suppose, I don't know how much help I can give you. There's a lot of resources online and on youtube. I've been using those to try to better myself. I found this audiobook called "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself" by Steve Chandler several years ago. If anything you should check that out. I've been going to seminars also.

• Yeah that would be a good idea :)

What Guys Said 7

• You're looking to be a Fashion model, which is where the big money and fame is found, but it's hypercompetitive and has high physical requirements that most people simply can't meet. Assuming you could, you'd need to start immediately, as the average fashion model's career happens between around 16-24 years old, and you still need some time to learn the trade. Sure, the ultra-rare super-model may be able to extend her career into her late 20s, but that's the exception to the rule.

Some good links to read:

teenadvice.about.com/.../modelinggirls.htm

http://www.fashion.net/howto/fashionmodel/

www.wetpaint.com/.../how-to-be-a-model-helpful-advice-from-a-modeling-agent-

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Model

www.modelmanagement.com/.../

Hope that helps!

• Thanks! That was so helpful!

• It's never too late to be a model. People who value academics higher than other things are just snobs.
    Here are some things to consider:
    Do you have an agent?
    How tall are you?
    Do you have a modelling portfolio?
    Have you ever been scouted?
    Why do you think you have what it takes to be a *top* supermodel?
    What is you ethnical background?
    Are you hardworking and determined?
    Do you have good manners?
    Do you have good skin?
    Are you fat?

• Never. I currently know models that are in their 40's and 50's that look very dam hot. Just make sure you can afford it, modeling isn't cheap.

• Yes, I understand :) What if I want to be well-known like Gisele Bundchen?

• never is too late. there are 40 and 50 yo models

• Really? Like who?

• check modelmayhem. com you will find out many models who are over 40

• Its Never to late are you tall and pretty and slim?

• Ummm... well beauty is subjective so I can't say. You may think I'm pretty but some others may not. And yes, I am quite slim for my age. I'm not underweight, but I'm in the 30th percentile for weight. And as for height... not so much. I'm 5'4 3/4 unless you want to round it up to 5'5 lol. My mom is 5'9 and she modelled for a short period of time. I don't think I'm going to be that tall though :/

• I wish you the best of luck

• Thank you :)

• It doesn't matter when you start, all that matter is, when you do start you better stick to it. Devotion is one of the keys to success

• Yes I definitely agree. I think as long as you're devoted, you can still become a supermodel even when you start later.

• Good luck!

• Thank you :)

• Isn't modeling only part time though. Like, don't you have to actually have a job as well, a full time job. You can't just model your way through life, especially when you lose your looks. Hell, Adriana and Alessandra announced they're retiring from the business. What are they going to do now. They can't just sit at home the rest of their life. Their husband will get pissed

• Lol I agree. And I actually had no idea that they were retired!

• Why?

• Because then you have someplace to go after you're done. Aren't you listening

What Girls Said 11

• You have to be tall and skinny to become succesful and popular model. And most models have something special, Cara Delevigne has thick eyebrows. And you say you don't wanna be like a regular model no one has heard of, well thats how most models stay. Its a big competition. Every one of them wants to be like Tyra but 90% can never achieve that. Face the facts before you start. Its harsh and you will constantly get cririsism about your looks and weight and so on. Its not glamorous job, its fucking hard and uncomfortable.

• Are you a model? Or have been one? If yes, would you PM me so we can talk further?

• Could you possibly go off of anon so I can message you?

• Im no professional model but done few modeling jobs. And currently consider starting again. I know about it a bit though.

• Listen to your parents.

• Why? Why should I listen to them?

• That's good. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket :P

• Of course :)

• Its never to late to do something that you love, if you want to model, then model. Do what you love, and love with you do. I've always wanted to be a model ever since I was little.

• Good for you :) I'm happy we're in the same boat :)

• It's probably not too late to start but you need to act fast. You know the women you see on the cover of Vogue? You'd be shocked by how young they are. 14, 15, maybe 16.

• Wow. So how should I get started? First of all, I'm scared of what my parents are going to say when I bring it up again. Last time we talked about it, they kept saying no and it was frustrating. I don't know what to say to get them to say yes!!

• Thank you :)

• Also how fast do I need to act?

• never too late but better to start early

• Yeah. When do you think is the best time to start?

• once you LOOK 25+ unless you're already on top.

you'll be just fine if you have to wait until you're 18.

• Hmmm... have you modeled before?

• If you find the right agency and your willing to work hard , I see no reason why 14 is to old x

• do you know heidi klum one of Victoria's secret top angel she is 41 and she is loved by everyone (mostly)

• How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    And btw, modeling is a really hard business. It's extremely difficult to make money and unless you're crazy beautiful and lucky and willing to work your ass off, you're not going to be a top model.

• How do you know that? Have you modeled before?

• No, but I have spoken to people who have modeled. And part of it is just common sense.

• Thanks :)

• jenner family style.
    find a kardashian first

• Lol what? As in find connections? Like who?

• Make ur own kim kardashian

• Lol haha yeah ummm... I think I'll skip that. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• It's never too late, it just gets harder with age. You can get into teen modeling if that is what you are interested in. Or, you can wait until you are legally responsible for yourself, if your parents are strict. Just put together a portfolio and work on your faces, poses and the way you walk.

• Right, that's what I mean. I look up to supermodels such as Tyra Banks and Kate Moss, but they both started at 14. How does it get harder with age?

• When you hit your 30s it gets harder to find work, unless you are well known.

• Sure. I am definitely starting before that haha. I just want to try it out first, get a feel for it. Maybe it won't end up being the job that I want in the future. I just want to have an experience so I can decide.