Should women wear makeup? (open for both sexes)?

Hello everyone! wondering what all opinions are on this topic? Do you think women should wear makeup or not? Kinda gives us men a fake sense of famine women. What is feminine or not? We could say the same for men who use steroids too...

Most Helpful Girl

• Makeup isn't the same as steroids. Steroids alter you permanently. Makeup comes off at the end of the day. There's actually some regions that require women to wear makeup to enhance the beauty god gave them. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just saying. It's up to the individual, woman, or man, to decide whether to wear makeup or not. It's not my choice if you wear makeup, it's not my choice if any woman in the world wears makeup. The only choice I have is whether I wear makeup, and the answer is, yes I do. Why? Because I want to. It's as simple as that.

• Religions not regions

• Haha I am confident, I just prefer to wear makeup. I like the way it looks, and it's just plain fun to put on and play around with. I consider it a treat when I let a guy see me with out makeup. Not because I'm uncomfortable without it, but because I just like dressing up a lot (:

• Thanks for MH (:

What Girls Said 32

• If they want to, sure! If they don't want to or don't feel the need to, that's great too! My everyday makeup is nothing more than some powder and eyeliner - enough to highlight my natural features and even my skin tone. But I use more for a night out because, let's face it, painting on our faces is freaking fun.

I feel I don't look good without makeup, but luckily my boyfriend wears glasses/contacts, so he only slightly knows how terrible I look first thing in the morning. :P

• i'm more worried about how girls are made to feel that their natural appearance is ugly and unacceptable by large companies than i am about how some boys feel ''tricked'' because they thought the girl actually had green eyelids.
    men are not the victims of the makeup industry. i'd definitely love to see less women wearing makeup, but that's because i'd love to see more women who are comfortable with the way they look, not because women who wear makeup are some ''evil tricksters''

• thank you for your opinion. YES distortion in society is all over the place.. we need to get back to reality!

• I began wearing make up in highschool because my skin went out of control and i found it did make me look more attractive. Because of that i never showed my bareface to world and i began to fall in love with make up and educating myself on technique and products. When i went to university i met a guy, and when the moment of truth came and i spent the night with him with a bare face, he didn't act like anything was different. And so because of that dude i felt having my bareface judged wasn't as bad as i thought so now i dont mind leaving my house with a bareface! However i wasn't going to drop my love for make up, applying make up is almost therapeutic for me, deciding what i'm going to apply and how i'm going to apply, deciding how i want to look, watching my hard work pay off and come together like a painting. I had a friend in highschool ask me if she "needed to wear make up", seeing as i was the make up junkie, and i told her "nobody needs to wear make up!". So my stand has always been, even though i didn't apply it to myself at one time, that women should wear make up because they enjoy using it, not because they feel they need it! And i hate it when men judge me or criticize me for using make up, I DONT DO IT FOR YOU, I DO IT FOR ME- and that goes for most women!

• nice. and it is definitely a form of expression with some women. the with how you dress or get your hair cut/styled. I only see as an issue when girls are made to feel like they have to in order to be feminine.

• I think it'd be best if make up didn't exist. Animals suffer just so women can feel like crap in their natural state.

If must for social occasions Use berry juice for lipstick some red clay for rouge w/e natural resources be creative ok but the industry there's no good from it. It's disgusting the money spent in tirturing animals and hiding from the works. in my opinion

• wow, your right a lot of what we think about how our products are made, are not what we think they are. Is there a link for information?

• @azara are you vegetarian? because there products on the market that are totally cruelty free. nothing I use has an animal ingredient in it or has been tested on animals. there's always an alternative.

• @ queen nikki

there are new methods that give drs the opportunity to do reproach without torturing animals though much work has to be develop. and CLEARLY make up is not saving anyones life. especially since you can wear cruelty free make up which most people do not. the most popular name brands are not the organic makeup. anyhow the question was about make up not research.

@creative

:) i dont really wear make up except for lip moisturizer which is like lipstick bc there's some color to it -velvet mocha. and yeah its mdd from vegetables dyes. and yes I'm a vegetarian.

• Personally, I do not wear makeup and would prefer if people wouldn't either. But that being said, I am also pro-letting people do what the fuck they want, especially if it makes them happy. Makeup doesn't make me happy, so it is kinda naive for me to assume it wouldn't make others happy. And others look really nice with it.

As for femininity, that is something that seems to always change. Blue was once the feminine color while pink was for boys. Things seem to change with society, so "feminine" is basically a social construct, what we define as feminine, will be. If we decide makeup is no longer feminine, it will not.

It's just as that saying goes: "We blame society, but we are society."

• in my opinion i don't think makeup is good at all, it may be good for some girls to have/build confidence but its not exactly good for the face especially long-term and can actually destroy it or make you physically age faster, i made a very long thread about a possibility of conspiracy about this a while back, i think women should just wear less makeup or stop completely, besides most guys i know/have seen in gag like natural anyway so whats the point?

also for those who are budget conscious the prices of mainstream cosmetic products in Europe and US are rising drastically, if you don't plan to pour your hard-earned cash into a bottomless money sink i'd advice to lessen or stop asap

• Personally I stick to just eyeliner and mascara. A little eye shadow when I'm going out.
    More then that I feel like a clown but without my eyeliner I feel naked

• I don't really wear it unless I have a reason to (which is rarely), like going out or a date or a special occasion. It's stressful to not be able to touch any area of your eyes lol. kidding. i wish more girls were confident about their natural look ( i am not either depending on the day) but in the end, it's every girl's decision if and why they wear make-up. I've seen girls use it to boost their confince, or to impress others, or because it's a form of "art" or just because they like it.
    I agree it can confuse guys, but we live in a society where every single aspect of our (men and women) appearance can and gets criticized. It just matters how much you're going to let others influence your thoughts about yourself. :)

• Thank your for stating your opinion. hah, my sister has the same problem sometimes (eye issue). I think people just need to realize what others think is not important. can't let others control you.

• Beauty is what you see. Make up isn't like a tattoo. You don't put it there and it's stuck forever. Make up is something that some people put on, some don't. Myself, I do. But I do for one reason... I usually have dark circles under my eyes. Doesn't matter if I sleep 2 hours or 14 hours. They happen every day, but they aren't terrible. So... rather than not look like I got punched in the face... I put on a little make up... and tada! I feel better about myself. And my husband thinks I look amazing with and without make up.

• Women should wear whatever the hell they want.

• thank you for stating you opinion. Women have a right to do what they want: freewill.

• I think it's ok to wear make up as long as they keep it light. it's not bad to use it. it should be used to enhance a woman's natural beauty. if she wants to wear make up, then she should wear make up as long as if she still looks like her normal self.

• I think it's up to them. If a girl likes wearing make up, then she can. If she doesn't, then nah. I personally don't like wearing it, specially because I HATE TAKING IT OFF!

• I do not wear make up unless I'm taking a picture or going to some event. It's a choice, but make up has nothing to do with being feminine in my opinion. A woman who keeps her appearance, and remains well mannered and lady like is what I consider Feminine. However a woman that wears make up aand booty shorts, but sits with her legs open wider then an ocean, and who burps without even saying "excuse me" I would not consider feminine

• if they feel good wearing minimal makeup it is fine
    some women put on too much it makes them look odd

• to be honest most of the girls just wear make up because they wanna impress some guy... and other just use it because make them feel more confident about what they look like... i wear make up just because everyone uses and i kinda feel bad if i dont wear them and i wear mascara to make my eyes look bigger

• women should wear it if they want to.
    a girl using makeup isn't the same as a guy using steroids btw...

• I think its up to the person if they choose to wear it or not. I personally don't wear make up, in fact I've never worn makeup at all

• I do wear makeup, but I feel like if there was no makeup we would be more confident. Not wearing makeup makes me feel clean and I can rub my eyes without black stuff smearing all over

• I hate makeup. but I hate it even more when men think they have a right to decide what a woman can and can not do. it's her face. if she want to smother it in gunk that's her damn right.

• Well, as for me, I rarely wear makeup at all, so I guess I'm on the no side, as everyone is beautiful; agree with your natural beauty.

• I don't wear make up.

• I don't wear makeup, but I think that if it makes you more confident then all the power to ya!

• Depends on the social situation.

• i do wear makeup but only on some occassions... i like to be simple...

• I dont perfer makeup and if i do use its is for a special event or just applied super light, i think its too much work and that a guy should like you for how you look naturaly

• I used make up for protection like foundation, it has an SPF, UV protection and it really make you look good. A little make up is great with the right amount that will still see your natural beauty. I guess a powder and a little lip gloss will do.

• It's not "a must". Girls wear makeup because it's their choice and it makes them feel good about themselves.

• i don't wear makeup at all but my friend once made me wear it to feel more feminine and well i regret it that thing is like drugs it makes you look pretty and everyone who is insecure just want to do it to look "prettier" but then it just increase your insecurities you start saying "i will never let anyone see my face without makeup" and this is just wrong we should be proud about our looks so i am against makeup but ofcourse eventually everyone can do whatever they want

• Makeup makes some women feel good about themselves. Guys shouldn't care, if they really like the woman. Steroids are different, they can cause mood swings. Make up helps to highlight out natural beauty. i use eyeliner and feel naked without it. I also use powder and the occasional eye shadow and lip gloss. i dont care for mascara because i don't need it.

• Most people don't wear enough makeup to change the way they look to the point where we're tricking you. That's insane.
    There's nothing wrong with wearing a little makeup to enhance your features.
    If you're taking about like pornstars or even models then that's a diff story.

• Thank you for your opinion. It does vary from girl to girl the amount of makeup that one puts on. However, even a subtle amount of makeup shows feminity falsity.

• I don't see how

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 9

• I hate the look of makeup, technically it is just paint on someone's face. It is a million dollar industry, but I don't feel more attracted to a person just because their eyelashes are fake - in fact, quite the opposite.

• Nothing wrong with steroids unless they lie about it in my opinion, because they give people the misimpression of what they could gained if they tried.

Women in makeup I don't consider an issue unless they entirely change the way their face looks vs just enhancing natural features.

• I think women should be allowed to wear whatever the f**k they want.

• I prefer no make-up at all. I can't stand it.

• no, its lying, we must see the true you.

• With moderation

• Sure, if it makes you feel better about yourself, just please NOT TOO MUCH!!

• I think that women should use as much make they need to feel good about themselves, because that seems to be a big reason behind it; but honestly I prefer my girl with only light make up or no make up isn't too bad either.

• I think women should stop wearing make up, honestly. I know guys who are reports and they only wear make up on shoots. They still look the same with and without make up... just a little touched up, that's all.

When I see a woman without make up, it's pretty noticeable. I think that it's more noticeable when women don't wear make up, because their skin becomes so used to being covered up by the make up, that it makes their natural face look lighter, more dry and doesn't give any chances for bumps and blemishes to heal up since they are being covered and not having room to breathe.

I think that if women stopped wearing make up or didn't wear any make up at an early age and focused on their natural look, they could look as pretty as they do with make up.