Should weed be legalized?

The answer is already yes for thousands of reasons, but I want to hear from people on this site and clear up misconceptions. I will respond to you guys when I have time

Most Helpful Girl

• I've often agreed that Marijuana should be legalized. Basically, right now we have a prohibition against it. Think of how many people die from Alcohol and Smoking related deaths! Both of which are LEGAL drugs. The only thing that could cause you any health concern with Marijuana is the fact that if you smoke it, it's like smoking a cigarette. You still get crap in your lungs which causes the same crap Emphysema, Asthma...as smoking a cigarette.

First off, if it were taxable and regulated by the US government, that's 450 billion dollars a year in taxes. And...we're in what, a recession right now? We could use all the tax dollars we need! Medical shops pay the federal government and the state government taxes every year. One guy on a special report on CNN even said, "I pay 200,000 to the state of California and 300,000 in federal taxes." and this is a little medicinal shop. It'd benefit the economy more so.

Marijuana has never KILLED ANYONE. EVER. It does not mutate your DNA, and half the "facts" about the drug are from a movie from the 1960's maybe even the 70's called Reefer Madness, one of those Public Announcement practically Nazi-ish scare tactics to give people sh*tty information about the drug itself.

Drugs like MDMA, or ecstasy were actually created for medical purposes, MDMA can KILL YOU even if you take it once. And going to raves, I've carried out far more people "rolling" than I have "stoned" (like, 10 to 0). I've seen people overdose on man made substances like Meth and MDMA. I carried out a 14 year old once, who died in my f***ing arms on the way to the Med station because MDMA.

Marijuana has practical uses other than getting high. Products like, Hemp Milk, Hemp Clothing, Hemp Paper. Plus the medical benefits for both Cancer Patients and AIDS/HIV patients.

• "The only thing that could cause you any health concern with Marijuana is the fact that if you smoke it, it's like smoking a cigarette. You still get crap in your lungs which causes the same crap Emphysema, Asthma...as smoking a cigarette." The same crap indeed but seven times stronger in the case of lung cancer.

• Http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm#

• Your point would be true if Cannabis didn't have its active ingredient THC. THC has anti-tumor properties which help reduce/prevent cancer cells.

What Girls Said 27

• No.

It's really gross.

And look, GAG has put a Marijuana/drug ad on this page.

link

• And do you know who funds those ads? Alcohol and Pharmacuetical companies. See anything strange about that?

• Ugh. I'd really rather it wasn't. I hate being around people when they're high. They're always annoying and gross and stupid.

Legalizing it would just make more people annoying and gross and stupid.

• Yeh its like they are retarded :O

• I said that they were annoying and gross and stupid when they were high, not all the time.

• Yes I understand, but you still catorgorized. Not all high people act the same, many that I have encountered are quite nice and chill, while some can be annoying and douchebaggy. It depends and differs with different people.

• it should be only for medicinal uses and nothing else. I believe legalization with deter crime because there would be some standardization however government imposed policies can deter further black market activity with these abused substances.

or you can look at it from the other stand point and that is to not legalize it and punish the distribution of such substances, punish those who are responsible and to do this, there should be a more effective judicial system in place and more disciplinary processes to deter youth or other non-medicinal users from acquring such things as weed

so there are two view points and I find both have their points and validity, depending on the situation and the factors like police power, criminal punishment, outlines of who can or can not use 'weed'

• And crowd our jails with non-violent offenders? What good is that going to do them? If someone really has a hard drug problem, they should seek help at a rehab center, not a prison. Legalization would destroy the black market, and provide our nation with many of the THOUSANDS of uses that Cannabis could provide.

• There are a lot of crimes that aren't neccessarily violent. Theft, fraud etc

Does that extend to them too?

• The point is, if you are causing harm to another person, then that should be considered violent. Stealing money from someone is obviously hurting them. When I sit in the privacy of my own home and smoke a joint, who am I hurting? The same applies to if I want to sit in my house and drink a glass of scotch.

• Should we legalize rape and murder at the same time? so uh, maybe police officers wouldn't be so busy... I mean rape isn't going to kill you right? And murder only hurts the person being murdered, not the murderer right?

stuff to think about...cuz if they legalize weed, what's next?

• Haha wow. Sounds like you've done yer research. Closet GG Allin fan? "So many people I want to kill, maybe I won't, maybe I will. Put the gun up to your head and blow you away....LEGALIZE MURDER!"

• Missfit77:

I have no clue who GG Allin is... lol

It's just my POV, I think any drug should be illegal but hey...

• I wish there was a way to type so people could recognize sarcasm..cause my comment was oozing with it. GG Allin is a scum-f*ck.

• no. people honestly need to mature a little on this subject. why is everybody turning into a dope fiend over weed? they claim it's not addictive, and yet people are clamoring to have it legalized. they should also take away cigarettes.

• You're basing this soley off the recreational aspect of weed. The industrial business from producing hemp products would A) Rake in millions of dollars in tax money B) Create new jobs C) Produce better quality products. Although I agree that cigarettes are deadly, as long as people are going to be smoking it, it doesn't make logically sense to outlaw it, because no matter what, they will always be smoked, forever and ever. Putting people in jail for cigarettes would be absurd, much like weed.

• First off, there has been no reported cases of lung cancer in marijuana only smokers, sorry to burst the propaganda bubble. Secondly, the black market is the gateway, not pot. Saying pot is a gateway drug is just the government pointing fingers. Most people either start with cigarettes and alcohol but no one ever mentions those legal drugs. Pot is only addictive in the sense that videogames are addictive but there are no chemicals that makes you "crave" pot.

• You have no intent to get stoned? Alright my good sir, I applaud you. Now how about we make the personal choice TO get stoned. I see nothing wrong with it. I mean, give me one good reason why we shouldn't alter our minds sometimes? C'mon, that's what alcohol does and it's completely legal. And again, its not addictive and I have no intention to move onto coke or heroin. I smoke pot probably once a month if that. It's a great stress reliever and sleep aid. Give it a shot sometime, champ =)

• NO its so bad for you. can't stand all these people saying that the only bad thing about it is the smoke I think you should all do a bit of research because you obviously don't know what you're talking about. here are some facts hat I have pulled from various medical journals

Effects on the Brain:

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Effects on the Heart:

Research has shown that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

Effects on the Lungs:

Even infrequent abuse can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana possibly increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Cancer Potential:

Marijuana abuse also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also induces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.

Not to mention the abundance of psychological effects it can have on you eg: if you smoke marijuana regularly before the age of 25 then your chance of developing schizophrenia increases by 95%. you are also at risk of such disorders as anxiety, paranoid, and marijuana can even cause chemical imbalances that cause bipolar

• I suppose you got this information off a government sponsored website hmm? The most recent studies have shown that marijuana smoke alone doesn't cause cancer in the lungs and another studies shows that people who smoke marijuana are at a lower risk for neck and head cancers. There is also no correlation between Schizophrenia and smoking pot. The data taken there was merely twisted due to the fact that many people use Cannabis to help their psychological disorders.

• "why hasn't there been any documented cases of lung cancer in marijuana only smokers?" Because it's smoked clandestinely and thus escapes many statistics.

• Not everyone can smoke it clandestinely as you say. There has been many people who have told their doctors that they smoke pot, and based on the study I linked you to, isn't it odd that those who even smoked just weed HEAVILY, were at no increased risk for lung cancer?

• Ok I’m gonna answer this even though it’s kinda old, and the answer is, well yea of course :)

Look, I don’t WANT it legalized until I’m 18, because it’ll make it more difficult to get. However, it definitely should be legalized because there’s nothing wrong with it. People will say it’s addictive (which it’s not) or that it’s a gateway drug. I’ve been doing illegal substances since I was eleven, but when people ask me I don’t say I’m “addicted” to weed. No one is, it’s not that kind of drug (by the way, even though I smoke I am a good student, so don't say it makes you stupid. BS). People are addicted to the feeling they get. This is different then say, cigarettes or alcohol, which have ingredients that can be physically addictive. Weed is a plant (actually, in the 1600’s, it was illegal for farmers NOT to grow hemp on their farm).

The same kind of concept goes for the gateway theory. The only time it’s a gateway drug is when people get curious and use their dealer to get other substances. Then again, that really doesn’t have to do with weed, now does it? Honestly, I got into hard drugs before I started weed, and if anything weed helps me not try other things because I (psychologically) feel like I have something else in me to fill the void. No one has ever ever ever died of a marijuana overdose, and no one ever will. It shouldn’t even be considered a real drug let alone addictive because it’s relatively harmless. Go marijuana taxation! XD

• Weed is a plant, like lettuce and tomatoes. Why it isn't leagalized yet beats me. Weed hasn't killed anyone, and has no addictives in it. People make such a big deal about it because it is a "drug" and "no one should use it." Well Salvia is a helucinigen and that is legal in america. why can't a plant that helps people with server injures or joint pains, be legalized? Its definately easier to use then popping pills for the pain ever hour.

• Weed isn't legal because "the man" can't make money or tax it when its out on the street but when it is used for medical purposes they can. people say that weed destroys lives and kills people but so do cigaretts and alcohol but there legal because "the man" taxes them. its all about making money anything they can't make money off of they make it illegal. people say that if its legalized crime will go up but in places like Amsterdam where its legal the crime rates is the same.

• My dad is addicted to the sh*t, don't try to sway me, I live with this person 24/7! Plus, weed isn't a crop that you see at the super market when you go to pick up some groceries because it has hallucinates that f*** up your brain over a long period of time! Plus, when you smoke it, it messes up your lungs and it involves fire, so it's a lot harder than popping pills. It is legalized in some sates (i.e., California) for pain, and I'm okay with people using it to take the pain away, but only that

• I never said your dad wasn't addicted. Just that Cannabis has no chemical properties in it that makes it physically addictive. Do a little research and you'll see that hemp has less than 1% THC and can be used to make virtually anything. We just don't use it now because we protect the best interest of paper, forestry and oil companies, all which hemp can compete with. I can tell you have no prior knowledge on Cannabis and its effects so stop spewing out obvious propaganda.

• Of course is should be legalized...especially for industrial purposes...like bio-degradable plastics! paper that can be recycled and remade into paper 7 times more than tree-paper. Ropes, toothbrushes, medicines. Cannabis is just a plant, has been a plant for millions of years, has been smoked and used in religious practices for thousands of years. It helps insomnia...so many things this plant can do...not only that but all of us humans have cannibinoid receptors, specifically for cannabis: a perfect fit. We are one with marijuana. I smoke pot all the time, everyday:) I also love using it in my cooking. I do think it should be legalized, but I don't feel to high about mass producing the cannabis plant that you would smoke...Then wally world would be able to sell their pot, which, because it's wal-mart, would be covered in pesticides. Big business would take over. For all the people who are growing for a living, it would be hard to compete because there are people out there who don't care enough about their bodies to smoke organically grown pot.

• Legalize it. Then we can control it and make sure none of the stuff is laced or anything nuts like that.

• Of course not, but it should be off streets! It kills people distroy lives and addicts would do anything to get it!

• No one has ever given head for weed. Now how about crack?

No one has overdosed either. EVER

• Oh, and Cannabis is usually a terminus in terms of drug use. About 1% go on to harder drugs and the majority don't use anything other than pot. The Gateway theory is nothing but flawed logic, saying "this" will lead to "that". So videogames lead to pot? Steak leads to coke use? Since people drink milk before they drink alcohol, I guess we should make milk illegal. It's nothing but manipulated words. The black market is the only gateway here.

• Lol, no weed has only destroyed lives when people had to take drug tests, never the drug. weed has NO addicts. NONE. and no, people wouldn't do anything to get it.

• no I don't think that is should be legalized

• Reasons please? That way we can get some of the false pretenses out of the way.

• I see where you are going with this but from what you said about your parents drug addiction I can automatically make the assumption that you have a mental predisposition to addiction. I have a friend that never smoked nor drank but once he got drunk for his first time all he wanted to do was party and try different substances. One thing I found interesting was that his mom was a heroin addict. Maybe it correlates? I would love to try shrooms or LSD but I didn't make my decision from weed.

• I made my decision by reading up on LSD and Shrooms and came to the conclusion that these hallucinogens were very non-toxic, spiritual and diminishes the ego. Salvia is on my list as well but that's all I would touch. Statistically speaking, about 1% of pot smokers move on to cocaine and >1% move on to heroin. I'm not trying to argue with you, man. We have many of the same viewpoints. I just don't feel like the gateway theory is valid. And kudos on backing away from the meth. Shit f***s you hard

• Its all messed up. It makes me so mad. If it is legal is some states, why is it so bad in others? Isn't this America? Don't we all vote on one President and other government positions for some sort of equality? It's not at all right for it to be considered a drug. I mean come onnn... I had 2 shots and 2 mixed drinks within a 2 hour time frame last night, and don't remember squat that happened between this 2 hour time frame... I'm smoking a joint and typing this, aswell making perfect sense right now and I for damn sure will remember writing this tomorrow, to be honest it'll probably be between hits.

• Yes it should..Because legal or illegal people ar going to do it anyways

simple as that.

• no No NO

• Legalize it...!

• yes because no matter what everyone is going to do it so just let the economy grow from it by legalizing it

• For medical reasons ( cancer paitents chemo etc) yes

For Dumbass People who have nothing better to do No. don't say it makes me feel better THATS WHAT PUUPYS ARE FOR we all have hard times but we don't need to go to weed or any kind of drugs.

• Then no more caffeinated drinks for you, since caffeine is a drug.

• Touche. But regardless, I hear people saying lets legalize it for medical purposes only, but not to everyone. Where does that make sense? Along what divine outline of your view of society do you make the decision on what someone can put into their own body? Based on what I just said, yes, I want the drug war to end. It's pointless to put people in jail for non-violent drug offenses. To those who have serious addiction problems, IE. heroin, put them in treatment! Not in jail.

• I dislike the misconception that weed or other drugs are used just to escape your problems. Personally, I use Cannabis for philosophical, spiritual, and medicinal reasons. It helps my ideas flow, it makes me feel like I'm one with the universe, and it helps me get in touch with some of the madness going on in our world today. Medicinally, I use it for my asthma and upset stomachs that I get most often. Both have dissipated over the last year when I first tried pot. Perspective is key my friend.

• yes

• The world is going to hell why not?

• You obviously have no knowledge of the plant and it's uses.

• Hence, periodically, or occasionally. Anything in excess can be bad. People can be consumed by sex or by videogames, etc. It really depends on the person. Logical reasoning is the top basis in which the book would be written, with the finer detail like those in the sources sprinkled throughout. Legalization should be a no brainer. The people in power merely live in archaic times and perceive these draconian laws as a good thing.

• Haven't you seen the news, we are already in hell

• YES FOR F*CK SAKE YES!

god made weed, men made alcohol, who do you trust more?

it's not that bad and it doesn't make you aggressive. and most people smoke pot anyway so why not legalise it?

• If sick of people bashing alcohol, why can't there be both? Alcohol in moderation has been proven to be healthy for you. And while man does make alcohol, Nature does make the same alcohol found in liquor

• I have no problem with alcohol as a substance in moderation...I just despise how the media encourages alcohol usage and how it makes people blind to the fact that alcohol is a DRUG and should be TREATED like a drug and not used without respect.

• Yes! That would be great!

• hell yea it should be and the prisons would be less crowded too lol

• yea but not in large quantities

• I started smoking weed at 16. I smoked weed pretty often, a couple times a week probably, until I was almost 19. Other than that I tried shrooms like 4 times and E and coke once or twice. I never really got into anything besides pot. I still went to school, I got good grades and I graduated. In January, I was driving to drop off a friend at around midnight and was pulled over. When I asked why the cop said I had 'crossed a yellow line.' He asked for my license/registration. When he came back to the car he asked me to step out. He brought me to the sidewalk and asked if I would submit to some field sobriety tests. I said I would because I hadn't smoked pot that day, or done anything for that matter. After I was done he said he thought I was under the influence of something and I was under arrest for DUI. I started to protest and reason with him but he just put cuffs on me and shoved me in the back of his car. He then went up to my car and told my friend to leave. After my friend was gone he started to search my car. A minute or two into it he came back with two pot pipes. He opened the door and asked me in this really cocky way "So you weren't smoking pot huh? Then what are these?" The pipes belonged to my friend that he had just told to go. I told him that and he started to talk on his radio to other cops to tell them to look for "the punk rock kid with a purple mohawk." They never found him, and I was charged with possession of paraphernalia as well. I just had my court date a month ago, and after lawyer fees and fines, the total came out to about $4000. Anyways, besides all this I had another point. Because of this DUI, I had to stop smoking weed because of the drug evaluations I had to do for court. The whole ordeal was extremely stressful. I couldn't smoke weed to chill anymore and ended up getting turned on to heroin. A friend of mine smoked it and when I was telling her how stressed I was and wished I could smoke some pot she was just like "well I have some heroin if you want to chill out, and it's out of your system in about 3 days." I knew the sh*t was addicting, but I figured I might as well try it if I had an opportunity. I did it once and after that it seemed to pop up everywhere. I started smoking it more and meeting people that did it. The heroin use ended up introducing me to meth. I developed a pretty bad problem with meth in a very short time, it is the most addictive drug I have encountered. These are both drugs I never wanted to be involved with.. and never would have gotten involved with either if I hadn't gotten this imaginary marijuana DUI. The only illegal drug that stays in your system for more than a week is weed, these are out in days. Ironic, seeing how incredibly addictive and bad for you meth and heroin are and the fact that you can use them a week before a UA and pass no problem, but can't take a hit from a bong. The system is f*cked and we need to change a lot of things. The revolution isn''t going to start itself...

• I think that instead of blaming the cops and law for you owing a lot of money and being "forced" to turn to other drugs you should take responsibility for all that.

• All because those drugs are cleared from your system doesn't mean you gotta blame the "system" to use them...people generally do have a choice on whether or not to take recreational drugs! And yes I do believe that they can live without them.

• Yes I agree they can but hypothetically speaking if someone in the system was to take a drug, they'd go for the harmful, harder one. And that's where its flawed. Psychedelics are one thing, but stimulants are harmful to your health big time. There is nothing wrong with recreational drugs as long as you assess the risks involved in each and every one of them.

• YES, I do.

One of the only reasons they refuse to legalize it is, the government makes $$$$$$ by prosecuting those who are caught with marijuana on hand.

Marijuana does not kill - there is not ONE case in this world, in this universe, where smoking marijuana has killed someone. Not one. And yet alcohol and cigarettes kill hundreds of thousands each year. Want to tell my why these are legal?

link

• Oh yeh you are right. I suppose when you smoke weed the smake from weed is healthier than the smoke from cigarettes therefore the weed doesn't hurt you or kill you.

• I know people who have gotten in car accidents and died from being high. people have hurt themselves and others while high plenty of times. getting high off weed also turns a lot of people onto other drugs and since weed is sold illegally, it keeps a lot of dealers and violence on the streets as well. you need to think about that.

• He means overdose, like the THC in your body can not harm you. Although there is little evidence that driving high is extremely dangerous, I think it would be common knowledge not to drive under the influence of anything (alcohol, weed, prescribed drugs, drowsiness). Also, weed does not lead to harder drugs, that's a proven fact. Nobody smokes a joint and then wants to shoot heroin. And that last point you made about dealers and violence is a very valid reason to legalize.

• Of course the answer is yes. There is nothing wrong with weed. It is the most benign drug on the planet. There is not scientific evidence to suggests the smoking weed is bad for you are increases the risk for cancer. It could also help the US Economy. In other countries that have decriminalized weed, such as Holland, they have half the Marijuana use that we have.

• & if anyone downs me or disagrees with me that weed is bad for you then I would like for you to show me the evidence.

• Ahh yes you reminded me of another point. weed decriminalization will only suppress the desire of the population to use the drug. holland is a prime example. When something non-addictive like weed is legal, it loses a lot of its appeal.

What Guys Said 23

• Just to give some backstory for my personal answer-I have smoked weed in the past. I have a very fast metabolism, and it doesn't affect me nearly as much as others. I don't enjoy using it in any form, and really have no stake in the discussion besides intellectual honesty.

Now, the answer is very obvious: yes.

Just a re-cap for those who don't know:

No one has every directly died due to weed. Not one. Single. Person. Can you say the same for other legal drugs?

Weed was originally made illegal due to white panic and racism.

There are thousands of substances on the market perfectly legal, that do far more harm than weed.

The prohibition against weed just contributes to the funding of criminal groups that destabilize countries than can ill afford more issues (see: Mexico).

Finally here's a personal story:

About a year ago I went to my doctor and complained about an inability to concentrate during class. On the spot, he tested me for ADHD (by tested I mean asked me a series of questions any idiot could manipulate), and prescribed me 40mg of Adderall a day. For those of you who don't know, Adderall is a mixture of amphetamine and dextro-amphetamine salts. It's basically speed.

Let me repeat that, I was able to legally obtain speed (which has been proven in countless medical studies to dangerous), with a 30 minute trip to the doctor. If I'm caught with it, I flash the script to a cop and he lets me go on my way. If I'm caught with a dime bag I'd be off to the clink for a night, paying countless court fines and have a marred legal record.

There's something wrong with that.

• For financial reasons it is great. The taxation on it would GREATLY help this country out. Considering that it is already widely spread throughout the U.S., the government is missing out that sweet cha-ching.

However, I am no expert but with cigerettes I think the manufacturing would be a problem. Much like cigerettes today possess tars, nicotine and other additives, I imagine it would about the same here. So you have a possible health problem.

But this is America. A place where the people decide what they want to eat, drink and smoke no matter how terrible it is for us. The "think about the children" groups are always going to lobby the fat cats at congress though.

• "But this is America. A place where the people decide what they want to eat, drink and smoke no matter how terrible it is for us. The "think about the children" groups are always going to lobby the fat cats at congress though."

You could apply that reasoning to advocate legalization of roachies, heroin and morphine too.

• Exactly, and why not regulate these drugs and make them safer for the people trying to us them? Promoting prohibition is basically evil.

• Anything enough times can be addictive and deadly. The reasoning for weed and not advocating legalizing roachies, heroin and morphine is that the effects of weed and the safety factor is far better than those drugs, let alone some over-the-counter drugs. Simply, in speaking about pure dollars and safety, legalizing weed would bring the state of California out of debt (it is the largest debt ridden states).

• No, it's much more dangerous than generally thought. And the marijuana now sold is several times more potent than the weed of the sixties.

Gradually, through "improvement" of the cannabis sativa by Dutchmen it has become a hard drug. They used the methods used for improving their flowers and potatoes and sold the "improved" seed worldwide)

One of the leading British newspapers campaigned a certain time for depenalization but changed his position as new evidence came up: link

"skunk" as potent cannabis is called in the UK has replaced the old weed: link

More and more evidence about mental illnesses caused by pot: link

Cannabis is linked to testicular cancer too (the link with lung cancer was already established long ago: it's 7 times more cancerigenous than tobacco): link

• The lung cancer theory was disproven by a Doctor at UCLA. CARCINOGENS DO NOT EQUAL CANCER! RADIOACTIVITY DOES! The pesticides used on tobacco products are filled with radioactive isotopes such as Lead-210 and Polonium-210.

• "Pot is pest resistant"

Of course: the pests would get high on it and not care anymore about their destructive habits!

Or they'd depress and commit suicide. roflmao.

• Pot is naturally highly resistant to weather, pests, and disease. Not fully resistant but VERY resistant to these. You can also very easily distinguish a male and female plant by just looking at it, which can't be said about any other plant. It's quite amazingif you ask me.

• There are now more dispensaries in California, then there are Starbucks. Remember all the Starbucks jokes? This is an industry we need some straightedge business like politician to support the weed and especially hemp industry (food, sustainable resources, industrial farming.. Detroit...and links to a fuel source)...The PR campaign against weed is all that is keeping this industry form booming (media and it's affects on the masses is a whole other night).

California is putting it on the ballet in the fall (because they want the Government to get the legal credit not the citizens). Will it pass? who knows my guess is yes, but I'm not a Cali resident. When other states follow suit on how profitable the industry is they will follow suit for money reasons. The only thing keeping it down is the strong Right opinion who didn't get high to watch reefer madness. It's a drug, we're a reliant society, might as well accumulate the cash ourselves, because Mexico, and the rest of Latin America is definitely reaping the benefits.

• I don't really care either way, but one reason it is illegal is when weed becomes less effective, people move on to hash or other harder drugs. Its not that weed is really bad, but you need to draw the line somewhere. Its use by heavy smokers has also been linked to some psychological abnormalities.

Again, if its legal or not, I could care less because I don't smoke it nor will I if its legalized. And yes cigarettes should be illegal - they are worse for your health. BUT, smoking tobacco has been legal for a very long long time. It would be extremely difficult to all of a sudden make it illegal. Same goes with alcohol

• When weed becomes less effective? That's when you take a tolerance break. And the gateway theory is a load of BS. It's the illegality of the product that makes it clumped together with other illicit drugs, thus causing the dealer of pot as well as hard drugs to ask their client if they want anything stronger. The gateway theory exists, just not in the context that you were taught.

• Either way, people may still grow and supply it depending on how much the government will charge for it. If kids want it, they can still get people to buy it for them. Alcohol is really easy to get a hold of if your under 18

• I agree that people will still try to sell, but they'd be competing against a lower cost by the government, assuming that they don't overtax it. All I'm saying is that the Gateway Theory has been debunked over and over and over again. It is true that it's relatively easy to get alcohol if you know older people who are willing to buy you some but if you ask any middle school/high school student, they will tell you that pot is FAR more easier to obtain because booze is regulated.

• NO WAY! My dad got addicted to the stuff, and now he's f***ed up, and can't get off it. A lot of teenagers, kids, and young adults get addicted to it without realizing that in time span over a few years, there health will start to worsen and they won't be able to get jobs (that sh*t can stay in your system for months) . Sure, it's not as bad as other stuff, even alcohol! But a lot of things contain alcohol, even stuff we use on a regular basis like hand sanitizer! Do we do that with weed? No, because alcohol can actually be used for good sometimes. Weed messes up your head 2. It effects your brain, causing it to slow down, and mess up, and mess with your neurons, which can lead to Altimers! Plus it doesn't just mess with your head, it makes you fat 2! It makes you hungry, causing you to binge on a BUNCH on food (munchies). Sure I'm not 100% against it. I think every person should have once in their life to try it (and not get addicted), and I think cancer patients should get it because they're probably going to die sooner or later, and they don't wanna go out suffering. So final answer= NO ALL YOU STONERs!

• I didn't know someone could be that ill-informed on so many levels. Pot does not kill brain cells or slow down your brain, it actually has a protective effect on your neurons. It is one of the leading research subjects towards the prevention of Alzheimers. Pot is probably one of the least habit forming drugs on this planet and addiction only happens psychologically meaning it's up to the person to limit their use. Hemp can be used for everything, thousands of more usages than alcohol.

• Yes I think it should be legalized. Not going to state reason because I read some of LiveforPeace's comments and believe he is completely right.

• Thanks! It just baffles me to think that all of this propaganda is still engraved in many of the people living in this day and age. The truth should be our main goal, not government funded lies.

• It would stop distracting police officers from more serious crimes and empty out our jails from non-violent drug offenders. This alone would save us millions of dollars. The taxes on pot would bring in billions of dollars while saving money on production of most hempen products. Don't use that kids can get it easier crap also. Drug use has gone up under prohibition. UP! Which means that it's not working at all. Another approach should be in order. Legalization.

• And I'm the criminal? For what? Wanting a better country? For wanting justice and equality? For trying to find an alternative to many of the resources we have now that are hurting the planet? I don't see your logic, but I would gladly be jailed for what I believe in.

• Cannabis should NOT be legalised, here's why;

- It kills you.

- It's highly addictive, maybe more so than heroin and nicotine.

- It will increase crime rate from people under the influence, e.g. "high" driving.

- It will be easier for criminals to get hold of therefore increase organised crimes e.g. the slave trade, assassinations.

- It will catalyse global warming by releasing damaging chemicals into our atmosphere.

- Our jails need to be filled by criminals, I believe that people with the possession of Cannabis should fill them.

- It causes lung cancer.

- It has no medicinal uses.

- It can't be used to make cheap materials.

- It causes depression and mental illness.

- It'd cost more for it to be legal, it's cheaper to have a war on drugs.

- It would probably influence our government to legalise other drugs, which would only further damage our society, through the mass "gateway drug" affect.

- It will increase the chances of users children having mutations.

- People will have a false sense of security because they think they "know what's in it", what they will be far from safe.

- It isn't natural.

- Our society would become unmotivated, and basically collapse.

- The smoke would make a smog, which would impair our vision, and increase accidents.

- It would take up space we could use to grow food, which would increase famine.

- It would cause people to over eat, which would use up food and increase obesity.

- It is EVIL.

This is why Cannabis SHOULDN'T be legalised.

• LMFAO. Did you just say Cannabis is evil, can't make cheap materials and isn't natural?! Ahahahahahahahahaha. This is the reason why we should be educated.

• ROFL ARE YOU JOKING OR SOMETHING?

first off, your name is bunny 420. FOUR TWENTY.

ive been smoking for 3 years straight, and I'm pretty sure I'm still alive.

its not highly addictive. cocaine is highly addictive, AND KILLS when you overdose.

damaing chemicals into our atmosphere? yah? should buses, trucks, and factories be illegal too?

OUR JAILS NEED TO BE FILLED!!!?/??? WHAT???? WHY ARE THEY CLOSING JAILS IN AUSTRALIA WHILE IN AMERICA THEY ARE BUILDING MORE JAILS?????

• Isn't it obvs I'm joking... lol

• NO.

It isn't socioeconomically beneficial to legalize Marijuana.

The negative effects are tentative to project.

I'd rather like to hear your theories.

• How do you figure it's not socioeconomically beneficial to society? first off weed is completely harmless. there are 0 long-term effects on body and mind. Next, it would benefit society immensely. Economically speaking, because we could tax it, earning 1.4 bn a year in CA alone! Next, because of all the money we would save from paying law enforcement billions of dollars to arrest pot dealers and growers, and last, because of all the money we would save from paying to house and destroy the lives

• And that's where the "gateway theory comes in. There is nothing in weed that makes you want to do other drugs; the theory was founded on false logic. What really makes people do harder drugs is prohibition. You're sketchy dealer also deals coke and asks if you wanna buy something more intense. THATS how it plays out. Also, if you're on probation and want to pass a drug test and still wanna get high, you're not going to smoke weed, since it takes 1-2 weeks to pass from your system, instead, you're

• Going to use a hard drug that clears from your system in a day or two. Prohibition only breeds more hard drug users and to say they started on weed is absurd. Its the exact same logic as "Everyone who has drank alcohol once drank milk, so milk is a gateway drink". It's simple propaganda from the government. Illogical propaganda at that.

• You should be allow to do what you want with your own body, personally I wouldn't do any drugs that changes my mental perception of reality, but I don't really care if someone else does, as long as it doesn't effect me at all (eg drinking and driving is a big NO, you can't do that, I don't feel like being killed a drunk at the wheel)

• No it should not. It alters the perception, and can be abused just like any other drug. My dad used to take this, and I've seen the effects. Anyone who says otherwise, is just denying that.

• Yes. I am a card carrying member of "NORML" - National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws even though I don't smoke it.

• depends on what you want done. A drug dealer wants weed to stay illegal so there is a huge demand for it. If you want less people to do it just look at Europe. Where weed is legal, there is no demand for it. Because it isn't a "big deal".

• Because something is ok doesn't mean its good.

But I am a logic person. Iove logic and base my life and decisions around it.

How can the government sell cigs and beer but then decided what can and can't be sold?

• weed shouldn't be legal. It will give me and my parents something to do around the table -.-

• How's this relevant to the forum topic, exactly?

Not that it isn't a good question, just a weird place to pose it.

• Keeping it illegal is just a waste of money and resources.

• As a drug that gives you pleasure, no way.

• Why not? Alcohol gives people pleasure, as does chocolate, caffeine, tobacco...

What's wrong with treating yourself to a substance safer than alcohol on the occasion?

• Yes, weed should be legal. One of the few reasons I think it's not is because it could put a lot of paper and tree businesses.

• yes...it should be taxed

• I thought we already had a question like this, so here we go again. I don't think weed should be legalized, but if it is make it the age 21 and up, that way some of you stoners in high school might actually make it to senior year, and yes it's fun to laugh at the stoner in the corner of the room, with the glazed over eyes and laughing for no reason at all. Yes he has a bright future of becoming a dealer and probably getting busted for it, or shot, and who knows might even graduate to coke or meth, and end up dead or living under a bridge, because of his addiction. You gotta start somewhere right, so why not weed?

Oh but wait it's not addictive, your right you can stop smoking whenever you want to, just one more hit, just one more bowl, that's all you need right, it's easy to quit but you know what if your lucky, you might even wanna give meth a try, hey its not the weeds fault right, it had nothing to do with it, it was the person, yes keep telling yourself that. If your really lucky you might even get to lower your sperm count, and guys get this you can even get man boobs from all that estrogen,oh and did I mention that it makes you dumb. I know some stoners, and not only are their reflexes horrible , they can't remember things worth a sh*t, but your right its only memories, who needs those, talk about overrated.

Sure weed is good for medical reasons, but there is one little problem since it's not addicting at all people for some odd reason will always want more.

• Lmao, your stereotyping astounds me. Guess what percent of kids in my high school smoke pot? Now, a majority of those kids are fit, bright students who are in Advanced Placement classes. How about you take a few minutes and actually find something that true about pot instead of spewing random blobs of sh*t facts?

• No, becasue the addicts and people that have no self control (the majority of people) would f*** this world up bad. Why do you want to smoke weed? What's the hell is your reason becasue it's not good enough. Someone I once knew smoked it and never seems to have problem and I kept telling him to stop and even went tot he police a few times; then I found out he was raping his own daughter who was 7. If weed is legallized I won't stand for it as it is insighting violentce and rape - I will start killing people first, becasue it's a p*ss-poor excuse for doing the wrong and crying "I was Under the Influence! I didn't know what I was doing!" and then every female will need an abortion before the age of 10.

Legalize weed? Yeah, you go ahead and do that, I'll fight you every f***ing cm of the way. I will not have something so f***ed up on the streets for our new generation to f*** with.

• Nobody smokes a joint and then goes out to murder and rape unless they have a pre-existing psychologicall problem. I'm just astounded with how you are wrong on every single level that I can point out. Please, debate me on this, but I warn you, with what you just wrote, you already lost ;)

• I'm sorry, but I know for a FACT that Cannabis use doesn't make someone violent or a rapist. That's solely based on the individual. I've done my research on Cannabis, have had first hand experience with users and from what I've seen, I can tell you that the people who do have problems also do other drugs which many blame Cannabis to be the starter drug, which it is not. I want to ask you some questions: Do you think Alcohol and Tobacco are safer than weed? And why do you think people smoke pot?

• Someone's watched Reefer Madness one too many times. "Marijuana will make you KILL PEOPLE!!!" hahaha.

• My father was addicted to this drug and used to beat and rape my mother. He was an alcoholic, smoker, and marijuana abuser. I find it funny how kids these days or even college students think it's "safe". When I alone have witnessed it's ability to impair perception. It does NOT make you feel calmer or "relaxed". And for those ready to attack, I've smoked it too.

So for the record, yes my father suffered mental problems and relied on drugs to "cope" but it doesn't change the fact that each drug was in some form responsible for furthering his anger and aggression. Marijuana should NEVER be legalized except for medical purposes. So no, there is no "thousands" of reasons to legalize it.

• Actually, the fact that your father did those things doesn't negate the fact their still are thousands of reasons to legalize it. I could see your point if your father JUST smoked pot, but alas, their are two other drugs in the mix, alcohol and tobacco. Just blaming one of these substances is nothing less than ignorant.

• Age limit? Your kidding me? how many 11yr olds smoke cigs? What an un-informed child.

• Cigs are worse than pot. And the number of 11 year olds smoking cigs are extremely low. Why? Because cigarettes are regulated.