Why do teenage girls feel the need to reinvent themselves every summer for the new school year?

The media is a big culprit here, I know, but boys don't seem to fall for it like the girls do. Boys have no problem going to the first day of school wearing the same clothes they had last school year, wearing their hair the same way and everything. But girls buy into the media nonsense about having to redo your entire wardrobe every summer before going to school and redo your hair and try to look like a completely different person. Why? Is it the media? And if so, why are girls so much more susceptible to media brainwashing than boys?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't consider myself brainwashed... But girls are thought as pretty and delicate. Not last season. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Basically, girls are not brainwashed into this. They are pressured. Girls are plain mean! They are gossiping, snickering, solipsistic, seething monsters! Girls have to be in style or they will be made fun of by girls. If boys aren't in style other guys USUALLY do not make fun of them.

What Girls Said 32

• because that's what being a teenager is about, trying to find yourself, trying new things, seeing what suits you the most! it's best to do it when you are young and can recover quickly from mistakes and have the confidence to try something new and different. it's best at this age then when you are older and the people around you are used to you the way you are one day you wake and feel like having a different style. people would call that an "identity crisis". I think at that age you do it with clothes, your hair, your makeup, even your friends, your interests, your ambitions, teh kind of guys/girls you like. it's totally natural and I don't think the majority of girls are fully aware they do it, they just do what they feel like doing and looking how they feel like looking in that point in their lives. it's not just every new school year, it can be from a day to day basis even. it's easier every school year because you start afresh and so its less frightening to change your look up. I thnk the media has very little to do with it. if it had then girls owuld only cahnge once and that's to fit media ideals. but they don;t, they go through different stages to see what the best fit is and I think it's fun and it's great and as long as you're not changing your good values or how you treat other people I don't see what the problem is!

• I do that every summer! It has absolutely nothing to do with the media. It's about who I was the past year, what I didn't like about who I was, and what I can do to change in order to have the least possible amount of regrets later on.

For example, the past year I was somewhat slutty and the attention I recieved from guys made me very conceited and often rude. I knew I was making the wrong impression, because that is not who I am. This year I'm dressing in an entirely different way. I'm much more conservative, cover up more, and try to have a different attitude in order to stop hurting people around me carelessly like I used to. It's not about the media, and while competition may still have something to do with it, I'm not at all inclined to strut my stuff in microskirts and tanktops like all the other girls in my high school.

• First of all, if you have a problem with girls changing up their style when they feel like it, get over it ;)

It may sound stupid to you, but clothes and fashion trends both get old, and a yearly "renewing" of one's wardrobe isn't always a bad idea.

Retailers find it convenient to put clothing on sale all at the same time, and with each trying to beat the competition, it's a great time for the customer to benefit from this. What's wrong with that?

And your idea about girls being more susceptible to media brainwashing than boys is both offensive and incorrect. You would be more accurate had you said that girls seem to follow fashion trends promoted by the media more closely than boys due to cultural expectations they are required to fulfill. Guys are just as susceptible to "brainwashing," it just may not be expressed in the same ways.

Hope this answered your question!

• I honestly don't really think it is the media. I think it's just girls in general. Think about it. You haven't seen your classmates in two or three months, and the first day of school is thwn they get to see you again. And girls just want to kind of reinvent themselves and "wow" everyone after a couple of months. It is also a time that we can explore new stlyes because if they turn out bad no one is around to see it. I always get a new hairstyle over the summer because I know it will just grow back out before school.

• because they like trends, perhaps they seek change, maybe they have a lot of money to spend, and it's peer pressure or pressure to look attractive to guys or they feel like shopping. there's many reasons. when I was in highschool, I didn't try to reinvent myself but I guess I like shopping now more so than when I was just a girl

• I'm especially guilty of doing that this summer. I've changed quite a bit from last semester, including what I like to wear. I didn't do it for the new school year, it just happened. I didn't completely redo my wardrobe, I added to it. I did change my hair, but I like to experiment with different lengths and styles anyway, so I would've done that during the school year too. And I got glasses, but that couldn't be helped.

My change had nothing to do with the media or other people, it was entirely about me. A lot can happen over the summer.

• Personally, I never changed my whole wardrobe in high school, I just kept adding to it. Lols. I had a lot of clothes ranging from dresses, jeans, skirts, frilly blouses, tank tops, and big anime T-shirts that were in boy sizes (all of the GOOD anime shirts were mostly for boys :P). Sometimes I felt like dressing like a trendy girly girl, and other times casual and comfortable, or elegant and sophisticated, or like a bit of a tomboy. I was constantly switching it up everyday. I basically dress depending on my mood. I like having a variety of style because I think sticking to just one is boring (it was funny, my friends always looked forward to what I was going to wear everyday to see which style I would pick). I love having fun with different clothes. :) That could be why some girls decide to change their wardrobe completely every year. Maybe they just want to try something new or different. Some may still be trying to find a style that they think works for them, too. Also, as girls, we tend to worry a lot about our appearances, and we want to ensure that we look good, too.

• Thats cause all the GOOD animes are for boys =)

• You really should look at the older stuff like macross, captain harlock, etc. its WAAAAY better than most of the newer stuff.

• Oooh! Thank you for telling me! ^_^ I'll definitely check those out!

• I probably will sound mean but it is one perfect way on how to be liked and get attention when girls can't get it in any other way. I know young girls are just battling with each other to be superior, more prettier, better looking, having better designer sh*ts and so on. They think it is wrong to wear same stuff every year because afraid of rejection from other 'cool' girls. I don't think media rules them, girls are brainwashed enough to make their own stupid rules and beliefs now as we see how everything goes so bad with eating disorders, bullying, drinking.

This year I'm going to college with the same stuff I had last year (though I have some T-Shirts I never wore before), even 2-3 years old bag - I still use it because it's lovely =D

• Because we do want to be like a new person! It's almost like baptism, you want to feel like all the past is behind you. You new so your outside is new.For me, I don't care about that media Sh*t I just want to look hot in a new and different way then I did before, old styles get boring and tired. Boys usaully don't care bacause boys know that girls will like them no matter what they dress like and girls don't want boys overdone. I know that guys don't girls overdone either but we want to change and look different so we feel prettier. Changing the way you look on the outside usually changes us on the inside.

• We wanna be liked. We want to meet new friends. We want to meet new boys?;), We want to look good of course! We want to look different, We want to be noticed.

We DONT want to be made fun of, We DONT want to be thought down on. :)

We are pretty complicated, but so are boys! :) And this is just one of the easier questions about us to figure out. Hope it helps! :)

• Guys and girls are different remember!:)We want to look good, its like a first impression for new and old people. We may still be the same person, we may just have wanted a different look or try to stand out!:)

• i don't know about other girls but I never get a new wardrobe. I have the same one as last year and I only added a few new things (the old ones were too worn out. I wore them a lot so they... died) I guess its cause girls want to keep up with fasion trends. as you probably see, the famous stars now (the girls) have many different clothes on every year. even if they are only wearing them to promote a business. the teen girls see their stars in these clothes, they want to be just like the star. so they get the clothes they see their stars in. guys, well the guys only look at the pretty girls and don't give a poop about what they guy stars are wearing or the girls. so they have a less likely chance of falling for the media brainwashing thingy. girls want to keep up with trends so guys would look at them. admire them.

at least... I think that's why. I'm not sure. that's why my little sister does it anyway. -shrugs-

• I just think my style usually changes from year to year, and the summer give me a chance to introduce my new style, without it being just all of a sudden.

• I think teen year are all about dressing to impress. but the truth of the matter is that style changes, personal taste changes. Something I wore 2 years ago may not be something I would want to wear now. And everyone is really, in the end, a slave to fashion of some sort. My style has changed from grungy to business/casual with the occasional hipster moments. People change, body's change, styles change. It doesn't matter if our 15 or 50, it still holds true for everyone.

• Well I don't know why but I guess its because they want guys to notice them and say you look so hot. Or they just like change. Sometimes they think they have to look different then the year before because they got picked on. If their doing it because they like change its ok. But I don't like when they change because of wanting people to like them. Why is the media brainwashing girls I often wonder that my self and its sad. Because many many times girls end up wirh eating disorders. Or they turn into something that's not so great no more. They do it because they want to look like a pencil super model. I think we all should love are selves and only do a change for yourself not because every one else is doing it and don't be fake. I believe girls are the meaniest things on earth with the gossip. Us girls need to stick together.

• hon, you gotta remeber that girls (especially in high school) are still trying out new styles trying to find themselves you can say.. so they're gonna keep trying until they find what fits. I changed my style maybe 2-3 times but I finally found the clothes that makes me feel comfortable and don't need to be changing every damn season regardless of fashion. P.S girls always buy new clothes because they don't wanna be seen in clothes they had years before besides me I've worn the same clothes mainly cause I don't have money for it.

• Personally, I stick to what I like. I couldn't care less about trends or "in" styles. I personally like the punk style, so that's what I wear.

• Well, I think that it's not so much the media, but just that some girls want to be that girl. As in that girl whom everybody likes, whom is beautiful. The NEW girl. Starting over again. The problem with that is, unless you move, people will have known you for years and years, so instead of being mysterious, you're thought of as being the girl who fell down the stairs and broke her arm in the 6th grade. A 'makeover' is really the best someone can do. So I guess the short answer would be to create allure and infamy. As for comparing to guys, well, honestly I have no idea. Would it be along the lines of how much guys care about their clothing/social status as girls?

• Honestly guys don't care as much about social status. That's why girls' clothes are sold at overpriced boutique shops in the malls while men do their shopping at wal-mart.

• I never really felt pressured to change but over the summer I usually change a lot so I want my clothing to reflect that. Its also because girls are more susceptible to ridicule. We also don't really know who we are yet and were just trying everything until we find the right fit. I think it's fun. I also thought that how you were saying that girls are brainwashed was kind of mean because I do change over the summer but I don't go with what the media says because I don't care about what anyone else other than me says.

• they might just get sick of how they've been wearing their hair and shirts and jeans that they wore many times before, we just need a little change in our lives. I know I get sick of how I look every now and then and in summer if your trying to change how you look and you mess up the color of your hair by dying it you have time to change it and get it right before you go back to school. plus the new freshmen come in and you want to make a good first impression and you might even befriend one of them eventually.

• wouldn't call it brainwashing but its good change things up every once in a while. I don't care what the media says I just like new things

• Summer gives everyone a chance to reinvent themselves or improve the way they look because you have so much time to do it. During the school year, people get too busy to even consider changing something about themselves and it's hard to get it done in just one weekend. Like armyant said, when you show up on the first day of school, first impressions start from scratch once again because you haven't seen a majority of the people in your grade during the summer, so they more or less forget the old you from last year.

Haha but I don't necessarily trade my entire wardrobe in for different clothes, I just add on a little at a time. Although I have transformed my style a bit.

• I never really felt pressured to change who I was or what I wore, but I think it's nice to kinda have a 'fresh start' sometimes

• High schools a jungle!

• Girls put beauty in front of most things. And when people say that they don't like one thing. They change it . and during summer they change theirselves, and end up likeing the feeling when people notice. (:

• Most times, I think it's because they feel like people would see them differently. They won't though. Tried it when I was younger, didn't work. Finally, I came into dressing and looking how I wanted to look, rather than how I thought everyone else did.

• It gave me something to look forward to. The end of summer is always depressing, and at least this way, it gives you something to be happy about. Also, women's fashion changes constantly, and it's an opportunity to pamper yourself and show that you've evolved over the summer. Women are strange creatures, I know... But men, don't lie when you say you didn't notice that some of your summer crushes didn't get hotter over break!

• Actually I can say that with total honesty that they didn't get hotter over the break =P some of them looked sillier yes but none looked hotter =)

• Hmmm, well there goes THAT theory. lol. Still, Fall Fashion is what magazines exist for. High school girls go a bit overboard, but it's an opportunity to change up your look. I know I get bored with my hair and clothes after a year of school. Now, I don't buy a new closet of stuff, just a few essentials.

• redoing your wardrobe is fun, its not stressful or something that we feel that we must do. personally I just didn't feel right wearing the same stuff from last year when I was in school. most girls don't want to look the same all the time, I like to have different looks and styles. its not really the media it's just something fun we like to do. styles and trends get updated constantly, what I look like wearing dated clothes from 3 years ago? plus you want a fresh start and a sense of newness, and a new wardrobe can do that for you

• Hmmm...maybe it's not so much the media it's just that...new year...new beginning!

• You should never pass up an opportunity to buy new things if you have the money. You know who doesn't get to buy new things? The children in africa. I like to think of the children. You ungrateful bastard.

• Uncalled for.

• You think of the poor children by buying new things for yourself whenever you can afford it?

There's a difference between being grateful for what you have and being grateful that you're not one of those kids.

• If you care so much, do something about it.

• Girls are subject to more ridicule than boys. in our society the clothes we wear say everything about us. and we paste the images of anorexic models and young girls see that and think I have to be pretty like that too.

Of course I don't give a damn about the media but I was a teacher at an elementary school and asked the young girls there why and they say because that's what the girls on tv do.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 5

• You can never second guess the lifestyle of a girl from a couch or computer screen. Competition is a different thing all together for women. Not too mention that the one of the very reasons girls dress up and are in style is because it gets boys attention. So while boys may question the saneness of it all, they are in fact one of the reasons why girls change their clothes and personality year after year. What doesn't work or doesn't feel right is thrown out the door. Not all girls do this btw.

And boys are not immune to media brainwashing. If that's the case I'm sure men wouldn't be so inclined to buy beer, lift weights, and buy nice cars. Both genders fall for subliminal advertising, it's just a matter of different preferences.

• Because the first day of every new school-year is like a new 'first impression', so if all the other girls are looking their best and you're wearing the same old sh*t you always wore... I mean come on, girls know instinctively that this is true, they got this on the brain.

• People change a lot in highschool. Mainly girls. There pressured into alotta sh*t not just being in style. I understand it because its hard being a teenager and you could get ridiculed. Guys don't really care about that stuff and that's y they don't change as much. But sometimes change is good for people

• It gives them a reason to shop and spend money? ;) lol

• i think the real reason is because...women don't like to be seen in the same thing...twice

im not sure exactly why, but it could be a sign of poorness, out of style, or just plain doesn't fit anymore

am I wrong?