Makeup experts: Do you discard your makeup items when it cross the shelf life?

- Do you keep track of when you open the items and throw it away after it cross the shelf life?

I am thinking whether to discard my mascara (i uses it since Feb this year)

Most Helpful Girl

• i ain't a makeup expert but yes i throw away all makeup items who have crossed their shelf life... i pay close attention while buying my makeup (concerning its lifespan) and yes you SHOULD throw away your mascara tube dudette!!:)

• hahah thanks! i had thrown away yesterday and got myself a new one

• thanks for MH:)

• welcome

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 7

• To be honest, I keep them till they're empty. I've never really encountered a problem with them. I am sure that's bad advice though and you should probably throw them away. But that's just what I do.

• I am not expert but i value my skin. I have a rule. When something over one year i discard the item ; it does not matter what it is.
    It also depends the item. For example for mascara after 6 month ; it becomes sticky. It is not fresh any more. No need to use. It does not function also. Use items that does not harm you and your beauty because because you are worth it ♥

• No makeup expert, but I usually use it till it's empty unless it smells funky or dries out/lumps.
    There's always the possibility that the risk of infection is higher, but if you don't share your makeup with friends, it shouldn't be that bad.

• I guess I need to change my mascara then it dries up

• I guess so, it doesn't look nice anyway if you have small mascara lumps on your lashes..

• I don't use mascara but I think they should be discarded 6 months after opening so as to avoid eye infections.
    One of the reasons I don't wear mascara is that they weaken our eyelashes :)

• Makeup has a shelf life? Where do you find this? D:

• hahah u dont use much make up too right?
      well some packaging there have instructions like if you open it u must finish it up within a period of time. otherwise i would google for it.

• Yeah, just mascara, eyeshadow, eye liner and lip gloss :0 I really need to do that, because I don't use makeup often enough to finish it within a year :/ It might be hazardous

• Yes must track. That why I dont spend on make up since I won't be able to finish it up within a year.

• No... except for mascara. Once it starts getting dry and smelly I throw it away

• You should throw it to the garbage and buy a new mascara. It gets dry, and its just not good.