Is it true that it will grow back longer?

My mother had said that if I cut my hair it will grow back longer but is it true?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no. Cutting off hair doesn't magically make hair grow back faster or speed up hair growth. Cutting the ends of hair prevents breakage making it easier to retain hair length since the ends are healthy and won't snap off.

What Guys Said 5

• What she said is partly true.. But I'd advice you not
    to try anything if you'r uncertain of how to do it. :)

The way it works, is that if you keep cutting just
    the ends of your hair, it will get longer when it
    grows out again. ^.^

• I've heard that if you constantly trim the very ends of the hair then yes, it will speed up growth.

Whether that's true or not, I don't really know.

• no just cut about 0.5 inch of your hair off and it'll grow that way

• No, it's a lie.

• No it's a myth. Hair grows from the root, not the end, so cutting it doesn't affect it.

What Girls Said 5

• Not exactly. It will grow healthier and it won't have as many split ends.

• Haircuts don't change the rate of hair growth. So no, trimming does not encourage hair to grow out faster.

• No.
    If you cut your hair - if it's damaged it will grow back healthy. If you continually go get cuts every few months it will grow a bit faster - but not longer. O. o

• No it's an old wives tale.

• Well... Since you are getting rid of all the split ends, you should have less breakage. The less breakage, the more length you maintain. All in all your hair should grow longer as long as you're taking care of it.