Want doc martens, dad says they're racist?

Hey everyone :)
So I live in the US (Ohio) and I really want a pair of the dark cherry red doc martens but my dad says they're racist. Honestly I just think they look cool, will people seriously think I'm a skin head based off of my shoes? Also if I do decide to get them should I not wear them to France, I don't wanna offend anyone.

Most Helpful Girl

• how are doc martins racist? theyre really popular in the UK, they used to be mainly goth style but now everyone wears them. they aren't anything to do with skin heads or racism

• I don't know I've read that skinheads wear them. I just didn't wanna offend anyone by trying to look cute lol

• dont worry about it :) in Europe no one will think they are racist theyre all the rage and you'll probably be able to find a lot of knock offs in a range of colours being sold cheaply in shoe shops

• I actually have a friend from Europe who has a pair and she is where I first heard of them

What Guys Said 1

• Wear what you like. Don't worry if people think they are racist.

What Girls Said 4

• They're not racist lol. I was wearing those back in the day too :). Just because skin heads wear them it doesn't mean they represent the Aryan nation. DM are well made gorgeous shoes, made by a designer with great style. Tell your dad you're making a statement by wearing them to show that they don't represent racism. At one time only thugs wore hoodies... old school thinking. In the 50's only greasers wore jeans. Your dad is probably worried that if you wear them it might put you in a conflicted situation but tell him it's fashion plain & simple. Ask him if he thinks he raised a racist daughter? Tell him to have a little more faith in his parenting skills because racism is not something you support. Good luck.

• Lol thanks :) he knows I'm not racist, but he's Hispanic and he works in a prison so he's basically just looking out for me haha.

• I totally understand now why he would be worried. Remind him the prison world is not your world, and you appreciate the concern :)

• How could shoes be racist? Next thing you know the goth style is racist because they use a lot of black...

Although, if you're curious, you could do some research on the owner or the company's philosophy. I've recently heard from a coworker that behind Birkenstocks are some nazi extremists... No idea if it's true or not... I don't like Birkenstocks anyway haha

• Shoes don't have the ability to hate an entire race and actually would keep the feet of a member of that race warm and safe from the elements. So that's proof your dad is in fact wrong.

• I can't understand the racism behind a shoe brand. It used to be very popular jn my country.