How come I don't look good in pictures but I look good in mirrors?

How come when people take pictures of me I look horrible but when taking pictures my self and when looking in the mirror I look okay? Do mirrors lie? What image should I believe the mirror or picture?
Furthermore when taking a picture in front of the mirror I look okay also when looking in mirrors in shops and looking in reflections I believe I look good?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just your impression. I believe that when you're in front of a mirror you can control better your body and facial expressions to take a better picture. You don't have this total control when you're not in front of a mirror. So it gives a different impression.

What Guys Said 12

• some people aren't photogenic... like you and me

• While it is becoming a lost art, photography is in fact that--an art. Most people aren't good at taking pictures. So it isn't that you don't look good--it's that your photography skills are mucking up your good looks ;)

• Different angles, different camera settings.

• Do you feel the same way about how your voice sounds on recordings? It might all be in your head. Or you're just not Photogenic.

• In a mirror it's a reversed image of yourself so you base your opinions on how you look on that and pictures don't reverse the image (unless you're using the front facing camera on snapchat) so you look different than you thought you did. It doesn't rally have much to do with lighting and angles.

• Lots of people experience variations of this problem. I, for example, look hideous when taking selfies. All the lines of my jaw become completely round and all my features are bloated. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

• In a mirror you can see what is your best angle, in a picture you have to guess to get that angle correct.

• You can move around and pose in the mirror until you look your best, but a picture someone else takes is just a snapshot in time. Hehe, snapshot...

• lightening works wonders.

• yeah i feel this way too... when i look in front of the mirror i feel handsome

• I think it all depends on the lighting and the angle

• One of them lying to you. You just have to figure out which one it is.

What Girls Said 11

• You look good, you're just not photogenic.

I'd rather look great in person and bad in pixs, than be someone who looks amazing in photos and then they r unattractive in reality.

That would be very disappointing and misleading.

If guys were to meet you, it'd be like they won gold.
    U would have exceeded their expectations by far.

• You just literally described me. If others take pics of me, I look hideous. If I take a front facing pic of myself, again, I look hideous. But if I take a pic in front of a mirror, voila. I look decent.
    We're just not photogenic :(

People always tell me I look better in person too. Eh. I'll take that as a compliment lol

I guess it's better that way. Some people I've seen look pretty in their pics, but then seeing them in person I'm like "wtf? is this the same person?" Some chicks are fucking good with pics, but look busted in real life.

• Mirrors you look at from eye level, so there's no unflattering angle to see yourself in. A camera can catch you from a lower angle or in the middle of talking and can make you look weird. Everyone has had unflattering photos taken of them at some point or another. I also notice with girlfriends they don't care if you look bad, if they look good in the picture they're posting it. Lol

• I'm the same way. People always tell me that I look so much better in person than in pictures. I even get children that tell me that. T_T; I'm just not photogenic for some reason. Every now and then I'll take a decent picture, but usually I look terrible in every picture someone else takes.

• I deal with the exact same problem, I just think (or want to think) in a mirror you see an exact reflection of you so I would trust my mirror more than a camera tbh. You probably look good!

• You're just not photogenic... I wouldn't worry about it I am not photogenic either but unless I take selfies ;) which is the same concept as the mirror because you are in control.

• I'm the same way! I swear it's a curse. I look horrid in pictures!

• Cameras can add 10 lbs to you.
    Mirrors don't do that.

• Its because in the mirror your magnifying your most powerful assets, and you see yourself more attractive, but when someone else is taking the picture, you have no control, and can't see, and judge, and readjust

• I'm the same

• How do I upload a picture with my question?