How do you dress for colder weather?

This week's weather is predicted to get down in the teens (Fahrenheit) . I'm from the gulf coast where it rarely gets under 40 F in winter.
I need tips, thank you!

Most Helpful Girl

• Hat and gloves and layers (!). i generally wear a shirt and some kind of cardigan over it - then I wear a super long wool coat. I highly recommend one that goes down at least to your knees. If you're freezing you can also wear tights underneath your pants or skirt. Layers should keep you comfortable especially with the indoor-outdoor transition. I recommend breathable clothing, not stuff that makes you sweaty. Insulation is key.
    Hats are vital. You lose a huge amount of body heat through your head.

Don't go cheap on the gloves. I like those therma-whatever lined ones. Mittens are best since your fingers are all in the same space. Oh and boots help too.

(I live in the northwest and dealt with five Boston winters.)

By the way, if you're not used to ice, I recommend yaktraks. And driving in the snow can be scary. Brake slowly and with looots of room and don't turn too fast or sharply!

• Thanks, that's very helpful! Also, it's only snowed 3 times over the past 20 years where I live. Funny story, It snowed last year actually and the city shut down for a few days for less than 3 inches of snow. It was the most snow we had since the year 1800.

• Haha no problem. By the way what one respondent said about wearing 5 pairs of everything doesn't work that well if you don't have insulation, in this case air between layers, and as little sweat as possible (no evaporative cooling). I may be getting that wrong (mechanics of it) but the multilayer (outer shell etc.) system seems best. A ski coat might work - haven't worn one in years because they're so expensive. I like wool coats though :)

• Thanks for most helpful opinion!

What Guys Said 13

• I usually layer myself. I wear two pairs of large socks, a stocking cap, thermal pants and shirt, then a regular long sleeve shirt and pants on top of the thermal. Lastly, I wear either a coat or a hoodie.

• What I do is: if the temperature is above 32 Fahrenheit, I just go with a shirt/t-shirt and a jacket/hoody. If the temperature gets below 32, I just add a big jacket to what I already had.
    Oh, and some gloves too.

I don't like to be too warm, I like to feel fresh.

• It was -20something celsius with windchill today when I was out running errands for work.

I was wearing a big down coat with a fur-timmed hood, winter boots, Thinsulate gloves, a face and neck warmer... so the only parts that got cold were my eyes and my legs.

• Layers. Layers. Layers. After a point you'll feel like an Eskimo, but layers are the way to go.

• I like to be warm so I wear this
    1funny.com/.../mexovoy_narod_001.jpg

• Well, I wore pants t-shirt along with sandals no hats or gloves while i went to walmart. People were staring at me i wonder why? They acted like they haven't seen a brown guy before. I understand it was -15 with wind chill.

• NAKED AND AFRAID

• Lemme hand u ma sweater. I can go on topless juz for u ;3

• Gulf coast? I'm down near Mississippi Gulf and its warm pretty much most the time now I swear early morning it can get cold every once in a while, but I dress jeans boots t-shirt

• Yeah, I'm not far from Mississippi. Also, I'm curious, what would you consider warm and cold weather?

• Well I'm from Virginia soo 10 degrees is cold but 30 is nothing to me, warm for me is 55-75 degrees

• I guess I'm different haha I start wearing long sleeves around 70 F.

• Layers.

That's the golden rule. Many small layers is better then one or two big ones.

• Sweats and a hoodie

• Thermals! Icebreaker merino wool is the shizzle!! A good goose down jacket by Rab, Mountain Equipment, Arcteryx.. just avoid North Face stuff; it's all shit!

• Thanks, those look amazing but, Do you know of more affordable brands for a broke college student?

• As far as goose down goes it's best to stick to the pricey stuff; if you cut cost then you cut quality and it still won't be cheap. Thermal wise you don't have to go for icebreaker, just look for the merino wool, you can even get the helly hansen ones which are a blend!

What Girls Said 6

• Coat, boots, either sweater or shirt, skinny jeans (or leggings & dress), scarf & knitted hat. Voila.
    photos.posh24.com/.../ella_rae_peck.jpg <--- Example.

• Layers. On a really cold day I wear a bra, a tank top, another tank top on top of that tank top, a long sleeve shirt on top of those, then a sweatshirt over the whole deal. If I'm going to be outside for a very extended amount of time, I also wear a coat.

For legs I usually put on leggings, and then jeans.

For feet, thick socks and boots.

• What I wore when I went to Arizona 3 pairs of leggings, 3 pairs of socks, snow boots, snow jacket 2 thermos, hat, gloves and 1 sweater I know it sounds like a lot but the weather was 12 Fahrenheit and I was still freezing

• It's all about layering. When it gets really cold here I put on a shirt, then a hoodie, then a leather jacket over my hoodie, leggings under my jeans, fuzzy socks, boots, gloves, a scarf (I love scarves ^.^), and I tend to leave my hair down because it helps keep my neck and ears warm. :)

• the same as the rest of the year. I might add gloves and a hat under my hoodie.

• Everyone said it, but I have to agree layers are key!

You definitely want leggings or thermals under your jeans and long sleeve T under your sweaters. Then you can wear your normal winter clothes on top. I like layering turtleneck sweaters, fleece zip ups and hoodies. At least 2 of those over your long-sleeve. Do you own a warm winter coat? Like one made with down filling? Or a ski coat? Those will help!

Don't forget tall boots!! Hat, scaf and mittens are nessessary too!