Men's fashion is incredibly boring. What can we do to look more interesting?

I've never been one to put any attention to fashion or style, I think because I never found anything remotely appealing about traditional menswear. For formal occasions, we wear almost nothing but the traditional suit/tuxedo, which are almost identical besides subtle changes in fabric or cut. Then we wear t-shirts, button-down shirts, or sweaters, and pants. As a guy, if you want anything that doesn't fit that mold, you're pretty much fucked, and that sucks. Women have a vast array of styles to choose from to fit their every desire or mood, and men get... nothing. Men's fashion advice is traditionally just telling us what exact flavor of really boring, cookie-cutter traditional design we should be wearing.

Well, I think that's stupid. I want to break that mold. There are tons of examples of AMAZING men's fashion in film and art, but it's difficult to find those styles in quality materials and construction. And the real trick is to find cool and interesting styles that make you stand out without making you look ridiculous or being woefully impractical/uncomfortable.

My personal favorite article of clothing is the long coat. Tailored, not the police-detective-style trenchcoat. These are everywhere in film, particularly sci-fi, but hard to find in reality. Most of the ones you can buy are the aforementioned police-detective look, or gothy-looking "I just did E at the rave", which is not me.

So I think for my personal style, I'm leaning toward something vaguely neo-victorian, or with a hint of cyberpunk. I like asymmetry. Etsy has a couple things like this www.etsy.com/.../black-high-collar-breasted-wool-trench and this www.etsy.com/.../mens-sweater-fashion-mens-turtleneck that I really like.

I guess I'm curious who else has felt this way about menswear, what you did about it, and what you'd recommend to break the mold.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 5

• accessorize!! ?

I love mens fashion. I wish I could pull off a funky suit and tie (especislly bow ties!) (:

• I think there are plenty of things for men to choose from! The problem is they are either expensive or hard to find. I mean, ever since i got into japanese street fashion i see all the awesome cool stuff guys wear that are mostly gender neutral so why not just wear stuff like that? i think traditional girls clothing is boring too

• A few guys I know wear the traditional shirt and jeans but accessories to make it their own look.. Look at Bam he sports the Victorian long coat and does a fine job at it.. Add a long worn solid dark scarf and silver jewelry and there u go.. Plain to unique. Just find accessories that represent you

• Just be a pirate

• Wear American apparel never can go wrong with their style

• Honestly their store looks like it just fell right out of the '80s. I lived through the 80s. It wasn't pretty.

• Dang... H&M then

What Guys Said 3

• Considering you're wearing a bomb ass hat in your profile pic, I'd say you've already answered your own question!

But I would like to wear this sometime:

http://www.westernposterpage.com/ce.jpg

It's always fun to make your own clothing. And it isn't hard either, with so many online places that will print/make stuff for you with given designs/specifications

• Go to tumblr and search "menswear". You'll find something interesting

• My brother told me that the French have this expression: 'le d├ętail qui tue'. It translates as 'the killer detail'.

So e. g. I have a sweatshirt with a massive shark on it. I wear it with otherwise plain clothes.