Why do we call what's in this picture a "pair" of underwear?

Why do we call what's in this picture a "pair" of underwear? Isn't a "pair" a set of two of something? I don't know what the alternative to "pair" would be, but isn't this a quirk in our language?

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• When thinking too deeply into things go wrong...

Some times there just isn't an answer ':'

• Because it has two holes for each leg maybe? Just like how we call scissors "scissors". They lose their function without the other 'pair'.

• I think you're probably right. We speak of a "pair" of pants, which probably originated from the idea of a leg covering for each leg.

• @Asker A "pant" is the single sleeve that covers each leg, so a "pair of pants" is two of those sleeves. I think that's where saying a "pair" of underwear originated too.

• @Brovak Yeah, they're pants too. Underpants. :p

• Well when they're referring to women I could understand because they typically wear a bra and panty. But I'm not sure about men

• this is why your so awesome your random questions. .. haha your awesome

• What someone said about scissors. Also - English is just weird.

• good question.. i have no idea. it definitely is a quirk in our language.. one of the many

What Guys Said 4

• because it has 2 holes

• Maybe you can check it on google that's where I get all my advices from.

• and I don't know if those are the type of underwear that have a hole in the middle because in case of an emergency I don't have to lower my pants I can just take it out through between

• its a pair because it has holes for both of ourlegs, so pair of legs you get a pair of underwear. /s

• most likely because it's two hoses with a middle part.
    and why would it matter, really?

• It doesn't matter a hill of beans. My mind just wonders about such things. Not all my musings are profound.