Why isn't dressing nice/classy a "norm" in a high school setting?

Girls often talk about how they wish guys dressed up nice, and cared about their appearance. I personally would love to dress up nice to school, if it was more of the norm. Basically I'm just asking, why don't more guys want to dress up nicely (suit, tie, dress shoes) to school?

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all, you need to dress in a way you like. If you 'd like to dress up more you can do it. Though, wearing suit, tie and dress shoes is more suitable to wear in a formal event than school. You could wear clothes that are your size, ironed and clean, a nice pair of pants, a plain blouse or a shirt, a coat or a jacket instead of a hoodie, some nice shoes

What Girls Said 8

• Comfort.
    It's nice to dress up and try to look your best every once in a while, but for day to day stuff I'd rather be comfortable than stylish and I'm sure most people would agree with me. Besides it's just that much more special if you wait for a special occasion to dress up.

• There's a few guys that do that at my school. Personally, I find them intimidating. I think instead of going all out you should meet it somewhere in the middle. Skip the suit and tie and just where a dress shirt, nice slacks, and dress shoes.

• You don't have follow the norm you can wear a suit or preppy clothes if you want to. Like for me I dress business casual at school, a really nice top with jeans. Sometimes I even wear a button down shirt with a sweater vest, with a pair of dark jeans.

• well, you're probably from America, and you guys don't have to wear uniforms. here in the UK and a whole bunch of other countries we do have to wear uniforms to school. and i get the point though, its kind of weird to go and dress up for school if you're the only one doing so.

• I love it when guys dress up! Don't worry about if other guys laugh, you'd be the one laughing when you have girls chasing you:)

• We have a Dress Your Best day every so often where everyone shows up in dresses and suits. It's a refreshing change.

• In Australia we just have a strict school uniform rule -.- pree damn boring hahahha

• People find it weird and think dressing classy and nice should only be for formal events.

I personally find it cute.

What Guys Said 5

• Because you live in the United States and freedom and shit , that's what you guys fought for right lol?
    3dom

• I'd like to wear comfortable clothes wherever possible, and a suit, tie, starched shit and dress shoes are not comfortable compared to a hoodie and jeans and sneakers.

Plus you'd have the shit beaten out of you by jocks.

• Because it can get expensive depending on what you buy

• I don't know. Do it if you want to.

• Because why should i try to impress people who are wearing uggs, pijama pants, and a tank top?