Are skirts ok in the winter?

I love skirts. I love wearing them in place of pants. This is my favorite type of skirt: www.dhresource.com/.../...female-black-pleated.jpg

Though I own different colours, materials and lenghts, excluding the tight mini-skirt. Colours are mostly neutral, those (I hope) I tastefully combine with other clothing.

Only I'm facing a bit of a dilemma here...

My parents recently pointed out that it's inappropriate for me to wear skirts during the winter because they appear "slutty", or "weird" when it's really cold outside and everyone else is wearing pants. That it's inappropriate winter wear... =/

Now underneath I always have at least two layers of thick pantihose and/or leggings. Frankly I get a lot more cold wearing jeans than skirts.

On my torso and head I always wear a jacket, scarf, gloves.. The standard.

So I just wanted to know: How would you perceive a girl wearing a ankle-long, or a knee-long skirt in the winter?
Would you think it's out of style?
Weird?
Would you think it's attention seeking?
Slutty?

PS. Please don't reply about me not having to care about what others think, or start those arguments over "sluttiness" and such. Please, this is not that kind of question. Just a fashion inquiry. ^^'

I would just appreciate your opinion personally and the one on what you think is socially acceptable as winter wear... Thank you. =)

Also guys, would my dress make me more, or less attractive to you? (If it were to affect how appealing I look to you at all.)

I am not sure if everyone is reading the text I wrote.
I do wear leggings. I am not cold.

I only care if I look odd wearing a skirt in the first place.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, that's different-Parents questioning you wearing skirts. Try asking them,"What did women do generations ago, before women were "allowed" to wear pants?" There's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a skirt during winter, and the one you've displayed looks just perfect.

What Guys Said 6

• Yes skirts are sexy.

One question: How do you girls wear skirts in winters? I freeze even in jeans.

• 1|0
    • If the legs were naked, I would understand your confusion.
      But my legs have several leggings on them and I am warmer than I would be in jeans. I also prefer ankle-long skirts when it's very windy too.

I don't feel the cold more than you do so... =/
      But I see I do look weird to guys regardless.

• Yes, but I am wondering if you saw me on the street... Would you think I'm crazy, or would you presume I'm warm? Just a random girl on the street would look weird, right?

• I'd assume that you were cold and crazy

• Its to cold for that

• I like in Florida so I am not qualified to really discuss winter clothing, lol. I see no problem with if it, if you layer everything like you say you do. Plus, if you say your not cold, then your not cold.

• Thank you, but really I just care about public perception in this Q. ^^
      I just wanted to know what people think when they see me, regardless of me actually being cold or not. =P

Obviously, they think I'm freezing and crazy. xD

• Well, I guess it would depend on how cold it is? If it's like -10 degrees or something it might be different then if it was like 35. Honestly, from how you describe it I think it would be cute and look nice, not slutty at all. I guess it would depend on the person, but I would have a hard time with most people thinking it is slutty.

• The girls I grew up with only wore pants in heavy snow. So do what makes you feel pretty and confident.

• Wearing a skirt in winter looks a bit strange. I would be less attracted to you since I would be thinking about how cold you are!

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think it's attention seeking at all, nor do I think that it's out of style or whatever. It's just... I don't understand how other girls wear them since it's too freezing. I don't understand how they wear leggings too.
    I tried to wear leggings 2 days ago paired with a long shirt, a long coat, boots & a scarf & I was shivering. I don't think I am capable of wearing anything other than sweaters & jeans during winter.

• you have to wear leggings to protect your legs.
    I would want to try wearing skirt during winter but each time i was defeated by the coldness

• I do wear leggings. Several actually. It's warm, you just have to put on a lot of legging. ^^-

• ok i will try it next time round when opportunity arises :)

• As long as they are worn with leggings or high knee socks, I see no problem, but alone? Yeah, not a good idea.

• I wear skirts in the winter. I don't see a problem with it. Granted, I wear the skirts when I know I'm gonna spend more time inside than out. If the day is going to be spent outside then it's jeans / yogas.

• It's much too cold for skirts now... right now I wear leggings/thermals under jeans, with leg warmers on top and that's just warm enough. Wearing a skirt would look very strange this time of year, I agree with others, it's not appropriate winter wear

• Nothing wrong with it. I like to wear sportive cloths, but in my job I often wear skirts for visiting customers, even in winter.

• No, that make you look ridicule