Do you prefer manual transmissions or automatic transmissions?

It seems to me more and more people are not driving standard transmissions anymore. Most people don't even know how to drive a manual transmission. I know the new automatics are more fuel efficient now by a small margin but driving manuals are just way more fun and gratifying. We can leave out the god awful paddle shifters as well. I believe if you actually would be willing to learn how to drive a manual you would not want to go back to an automatic because you have so much control that benefits you in bad weather areas. Opting for the manual transmission will also save you on average over 1K on purchasing a vehicle, if its offered. In other countries manuals are way more popular than automatics. Maybe because they have better roads suited for fun aggressive driving around mountains and on the coasts instead of our long straight interstates here. Please tell me why you don't like manual transmissions and if you don't know how to drive them, would you be willing to learn?

• Manual transmissions
  • Automatic transmissions
  • I don't know how to drive a Manual but willing to learn
I garuntee at least 75% of drivers in America under the age of 30 has never driven a manual transmission. Which is utterly ridiculous and sad.
Wow so far more women either prefer manuals or at least are willing to learn how to drive them than men! Shocking. I know this
is a small group but, impressive nonetheless. I wish I could teach each and every one of you who are willing to learn, how to drive a manual transmission.

Most Helpful Girl

• oh like cars? You don't get automatic cars where I'm from. I imagine being in one would be a really surreal experience for me, lol. I don't drive myself so I can't say what I'd prefer but, I really feel like I wouldn't even trust the automatic.

What Girls Said 11

• I'm a fairly new driver but I definitely prefer manuals! I was taught how to drive as soon as I could reach the pedals but it was an automatic car and I could only drive off-road because I was underage. It helped me grasp driving very quickly but when I started driving lessons in a manual, I got a little shock. There is so much more going on! I honestly hated it at first. Driving in London is a bit of a nightmare in itself because there are cyclists and motorcyclists coming at you from nowhere, traffic lights every few meters and generally a lot of chaos and there I was, fussing over the clutch and changing gears. But once you get the hang of it and get used to city driving, manuals are a dream! You have so much more control over the car and it becomes like second nature. When I'm driving about now, I don't even think about what I'm really doing with the clutch and gears, I can just focus on my surroundings :) automatics don't give you the same pleasure from driving

• I can drive a manual - only ever driven a manual and don't want to drive an automatic!

I love driving and I love listening to the engine, being in control of the acceleration, using the engine to break, etc etc. Manual just feels more like I'm driving and less like I'm effortlessly being carried. If I wanted that, I'd be a passenger!

• Plus, automatics here are rarer than manuals. It's sort of assumed everyone can drive manually.

• Your exactly right! Its just lazy drivers who also are preoccupied with texting while driving.

• Well... eat a burger while driving. I can't eat a burger while driving and don't know anyone who can (safely)!

• i drive a manual and prefer it, automatics are nice but it feels like a giant kids bumper car

• Manual all the way. It's all I've ever driven. Automatics are more popular here and in the US than in the rest of the world though. I like to have control over my car.

• I learned to drive on a standard trans. I really have no preference on which I drive. Here is another bit of info though. Most don't drive a stick because you can't hardly buy one now days. I know cause I just recently purchased a new GMC truck you couldn't get a standard trans. Not even if you wanted to special order it. Not avaliable.

• You could have ordered one in a F-150 (I know how blasphemous it sounds if your a GM fan but a manual with the ecoboost would be fun) I'm not sure if you can get one in a Ram this would be my first choice paring a manual with the Hemi or putting a turbo on the Pentastar would also suffice. But you are correct its hard to get a manual now. In large part because of people just weren't buying them. That's why I love Jeep, they will always at least offer it because they know the purists want them.

• It wasn't so much the Jeep but the customer service was none existent at the local dealer. As for the ecoboost the guys around here are blowing them up if you work them hard. You know like pulling a trailer or hauling heavy loads.

• Oh, well I guess there is no replacement for displacement then. Hemi for me then lol. You want to have a tug of war with your GMC? Lol

• I want to learn how to drive a manual so bad. I always have the need multi task and driving would be so much less boring if I could do that. I even rest my hand on the gear stick in my car sometimes and listen to it change gears so that I would know when to shift (silly, I know but I work like 45 minutes from my house)

• I have never learned how to drive a manual, and yes I'm from the USA. My family didn't and doesn't own a manual transmission car, so I never had the opportunity to learn. My boyfriend, however, does own one. He's supposed to teach me at some point.

• Manual.. So is my motorbike.

• What kind of bike you got? I'm a Harley guy myself.

• Miles per gallon.. A full tank could last me nearly two weeks. I ride everyday. (It's summer here) Haven't checked how much km's I've done on it though. Hmm should restart it and see how much I can get out of it.

You ride a Harley?

• I'm deciding between the 15 Iron883 or the 15 street 750. Going in for a test ride soon. Not quite riding weather here yet. I like the look of both, it will come down to comfort. Cuz, I'm a taller guy and I don't want to be cramped. How's, the get up and go on that VFR800?

• In mountains I prefer manual but in heavy city trafic I need a automatic transmission. I'm happy with my car because it's equipped with a dualogic gearbox. So I have the choice.

• I learned on a stick and have driven both at various times in my life. I have a minivan now so automatic but had a 5 speed for several years before it.

• Leave it up to Dodge to make an SRT Caravan with a Hemi and a 6 speed manual transmission. I think it would sell like crazy.

• I can drive both. Manual is fun except for the stop and go. My very first car was stick shift.

• Glad you know how to drive a stick.

• Ha! Thanks! My first car was a Honda CRX hatchback. It was fun! Then I got a Saturn Vue also stick shift. I do miss it at times, being able to control your own vehicle :D

What Guys Said 20

• automatic car all day because I rarely drive my car anyways, only in rain.

manual motorcycle forever and ever. ride everyday son.

@misscoffeehead yeeye

• I feel you bro. I'm constantly on the road being a truck driver that's why I haven't gotten mine yet. After this cross country move, there will be a Harley in my driveway for sure.

• @misscoffeehead bahahaa! coincidence! that is cray man. cray!

• So freaking creepy dude 😐 Spookyyyyy 👻👻

• My next car will be manual, but for now automatic is quite great. I spend most of my driving time in bumper to bumper traffic, at stop lights, on hills, and not going fast. It's just too convenient right now. Manuals are better, no doubt, but automatics shine for my situation in driving.

I'll probably get a B6 Audi S4 with a 6-speed, next.

• For cruising, I prefer an automatic.
    For a sports car when I'm getting after it, I prefer a standard.

• I understand your position. At least you know how to drive a standard. I bet at least 75% of drivers in America under the age of 30 has never driven a manual transmission. Which is utterly ridiculous and sad.

• I drive trucks so I kinda gota know how to change gears I have driven a few 13 speed boxes no sincro mesh in those fuckers dubble de clutch and watch ur revs. I pefer a manual box caus it alowes me to slow down with the gears rather than relying on the breaks. Had a cop in town last week pulled me over caus my break lights wernt working. My lights were fine I just didn't use my breaks cop let me of with a warning said I have to use breaks a little to let others know im slowing down.
    MORE GEARS MORE FUN!!

• I drive trucks as well, but the only time I touch the clutch is when I'm stopping or taking off. FLOAT BABY lol

• I hear the new Volvo automatics are great. I drove a Freightliner Cadcadia with the automatic and I hated it. The fuel economy was worse and was constantly upshifting, downshifting gears when pulling grades and when you are taking of from a dead stop there is a 2-3 second delay before power is sent to the wheels and you will roll back during the 2-3 secs if you aren't on the brakes at the same time. Also reverse is horrible, you have to be on the break at the same time while your on the gas. I hated that truck, but I have heard that its mostly just the Cascadia's that's horrible with automatics. Sorry about your back and good luck with getting you semi license.

• Mo old boss had a tiny little hino the trans was auto it was great. Played aroud wth a fh 16 I loved it same with the newer fh great lookin trucks loads of tawk 4 the price. They r very popular in Australia u c the ocasional yank truck but just adout every thing else has a VolVo badge on it. If I get into a position were I can afford my own it would have to be a fh 16 globe trotter I dont like autos but in one of them id put up with it I herd the manuals r just like a car to drive.

• Most cars now are all about automatic but there's something powerful behind a stickshift that I like, maybe I watched too much fast and furious haha

• Have you seen the preview for the next fast and furious? Looks amazing. Glad Jason Statham is in it. Wish I could get a role in the series lol.

• Yeah man it looks amazing. Jason Statham is always a badass in his movies, should be fun!

• I prefer automatic transmission... mainly because I live in southern California and traffic sucks on the highway during typical rush hour time.

But I am happy to say that I am able to drive a manual/stick shift car. :-D

• All that stop-and-go on the highway in a manual car is such an inconvenience in highway traffic... otherwise i have no problems driving manual!

• I do it in a big rig it doesn't bother me at all.

• I had both, like both.

• I drive a semi auto citoren because due my personal problems i cannot drive a manual i end up getting very angry and frustrated when i try as i cannot get it right it is hard to find full automatics but many cars are slowly going semi auto which is the best of both worlds and means i can drive a lot more. Under uk law the statement is "anyone with a auto licence can drive anything if it does not have a clutch and you have the relvant codes for the type of vehicle" my instructor told me that

• A lot of trucking companies here in the US are switching to fully automatic semi's. I personally hate the way the auto Freightliner Cascadia I had drove. I hear the Volvos are a lot better tho.

• All my cars except for my old Cadillac have been manual. You just feel more connecter with your car as a driver.

Autos are handy in stop&go traffic though.

• In the UK we have 90% cars that are manual.
    I find automatics don't give that control I desire when driving.

• Manual, better control, feels better

• Automatic for me. I don't want to also be required to focus on changing gears when driving. Keeping an eye on dumb drivers who text these days is hard enough.

• After owning a manual car I can never go back to automatic.

• manual... better feel of the car...

• I'd rather have a manual transmission. They are more fun.

• Well on my ATV I love having a manual transmission to pull wheelies easier, but I've never driven an automobile with a standard transmission.

• Two of my cars have been stick shift, I like it a lot. I don't get why people think it's some death sentence to have a stick in stop-and-go traffic.

• Manual! Automatic gets boring, real fast.

• In traffic Automatic, any other place standard.

• automatic all the way!! standards are for kids unless you have a REAL sports car!! my thoughts lol