Is it alright to wear a tie with my usual getup, or would that just be weird?

I'm a tomboy.
I have reasonably short hair, I usually wear a checked shirt, bootleg jeans and plain shoes. When I'm out I usually wear my old school blazer (I figured it was a nice jacket, so I tore the insignia off and now I wear it all the time). My look is kind of retro, but it's very casual. I like how I dress, but sometimes I feel a bit sloppy and would like to look smarter. I was wondering if I should try wearing a tie since I know I look good in one and it would go with my clothes... but my style is already pretty androgynous... is wearing a tie going too far?

I was thinking of something in bright colours or a bold pattern so it doesn't look too much like a regular business tie, but would it still be weird?
I'm a bit scared that people will think I'm gay, which has the potential to get awkward since I'm not...

The rest of my clothes are so down-to-earth that silk scarves and things just look weird on me.
I know there are plenty of girls who wear ties, but most of them wear heels or makeup at the same time, and that's just not me.

Most Helpful Guy

• LOL Women dont wear ties

What Guys Said 3

• If you enjoy wearing that kind of stuff then do it. You should wear what makes you feel good. Don't do it for others.

• You are just setting your own path.

• Okay it's fine to wear a tie I think tomboys are adorable I don't think you will look gay and there's a few ways you can pull it off first tuck in your shirt definitely second button up ALL THE WAY to the top no matter what do not unbutton it third make sure you're tie is very tight because girls with unintentionally loose ties are not cute also wear sneakers to pull off the look OR you could do the far more risky (which u may look gay depending on body type) loosen your tie collar and untuck your shirt and put away the blazer OR wear a pattern Bowtie with your collar done up tightly and your shirt tucked into your pants and your blazer unbuttoned if you wear checkered shirts make sure your tie is a solid color that matches the lines of the pattern

What Girls Said 2

• Definitely wear ties, that sounds really awesome. :) Oh, and try switching up your look a bit with some vests. I sometimes dress pretty androgynously myself, and I've got an entire drawer full of ties. :)

• make your own trend. whatever you're comfy with.