Am I alone with this?

I don't like tattoos. I don't think they look good on the vast majority of people. My only exceptions are for military personnel or for cultural reasons. I realize nobody gives a shit what I think, and you're all free to do what you like, but I just want to know; Am I the only person left alive that feels this way?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think you're alone with this - a lot of people seem to feel the same way, even just by reading posts left on this website. I don't really have an opinion either way about tattoos, they neither turn me on or off in terms of attractiveness. I have a good friend who came from an abusive family and later cut herself as a teen, who turned her life around and covered up those awful scars with awesome tattoos. My husband has two (one on his forearm and the other on his upper back) and he's thinking about getting a third. They are both meaningful to him and tastefully done.

That being said, I can't stand face or neck tats, and I certainly can't stand racist or offensive tats. And I think relationship themed tattoos are just stupid, like getting their name or getting wedding band tats (which seems to be a huge trend now).

• Oh, and excessive amounts of tattoos aren't that attractive.

• YES!! That conformity aspect of it is something else that bothers me too!

• lol, yeah. I actually just brought this up with my husband, haha... I asked him if he thought the tattoo trend is stupid, and he said yes - that people shouldn't get them because everyone else is doing it. He also said that they're the kind of people who go for the popular designs like koi fish or phrases in a language they can't understand, or even Bible verses (that seems to be quite popular). Then he said he likes his tattoos because nobody in the world has quite the same ones since he came up with them himself.

What Girls Said 8

• Im not much into tattoos tbh im scared to get one, i went to get one bottled it and came home with a piercing haha... but if I ever get married i would like to get a tattoo

• Well that's certainly brave of you, the way things are nowadays.

• Yeah well iam a woman of my word and no matter what or who i would love to take you on a proper tour of this lovely city, the pleasure will be all mine 🙌 sorry iam just a very nice woman lol. And i will hold you to this Mr hehe

• The pleasure would be mine! Other than Arthur's Seat, all I really saw was the castle, the royal mile, and the inside of a pub called World's End.

• You're not alone, but I have to politely step on the other side of the line. I have two, both which mean something to me. And plan on getting more. I'm realizing though there's a lot of people who don't like 'em. When I got them though they were something I did for me. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes and some find putting a permanent piece of art is mutilating the body. Doesn't stop me from being happy with the art I have.

• Do you really think you're the only person in the world that has that opinion? obviously you're not.

I for one like certain tats on certain people.

• I am honestly starting to feel that way, yes. Every day I see more and more people talking about how hot ink is, and how they want this beautiful tattoo all the way across their back, or up their arm, or around their ass-crack (maybe an exaggeration), and every time, all I can think is, "why?"

• Well a lot of people like it but many do not

• i'm forced to accept it

• I like tats on guys only..

• no ur not alone

• I like tattoos but if you have excessive amounts then that's when I think they are trashy looking.

• I hate tattoos. Like you, I don't mind cultural ones though. The rest just look so trashy to me.

What Guys Said 5

• My thing with tattoos, to borrow from George Carlin: "Remember when people got tattoos to be DIFFERENT?"

I don't hate tats across the board, I honestly don't even think about them, and I think some are really cool when they're done well. It just seems like it's gotten to the point where everyone HAS TO have them. It's gotten cliche, and I feel like the majority of people get them for the wrong reasons. They don't make you cool, they don't make you sexy, they don't make you tough. You're the same person you were before, now just with ink permanently stained onto your skin.

What really drives me nuts is when broke ass people blow their money on them. I had a bartender who worked for me at my last job, and she'd ALWAYS be crying poor. She always was lobbying for more and better shifts, and if there was a slow night she'd be freaking out that she wasn't making enough money, and how she has three kids to pay for. Then she'd come in the next week with some huge gaudy tattoo all up her back or something, and tell us she spent $600 on it. Unbelievable.

In most cases, the rule is: the smaller, the better. And depending on your line of work/career aspirations, you have to be smart. You're not getting a white collar office job with a neck tattoo. I think it's dumb to judge people based on that, but let's be real about it. My buddy is tatted head to toe, but he's a tattoo artist, so it works. But that ain't gonna fly in some stuffy office.

Personally, no tats for me. My gf had two small ones, on her heel and her pelvic bone. The pelvic bone one got covered with a larger one to memorialize her aunt who died, it's flowers with a little ribbon with her aunt's initials. Kind of like this:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...aff2ee661f.jpg
    I didn't think I'd like it, but it turns out I do. But her sister is 'bout that tat life, and she has all these huge ones on her legs and her ribs and her back, and most recently, skulls (albeit cutesy girly ones) on her HEAD and this Miley Cyrus haircut to show them off. A little much...

• no you're not i know many people who dislike tattoos.

personally i believe they are ok, as long as they have some meaning on the undivisual and they're not random

• I think they are hot.

• I just don't get it. It's like clothes that can never come off. And I like to see women.

• You can feel it on the thick lines. Maybe that's just with shitty tattoos, but still.

• A well done tattoo that was properly taken care of while healing shouldn't have scar tissue.

• Being in the military , I have become completely indifferent to tattoos. I couldn't care less now.

• Nope , i'm not much of A fan of them eather.