Dressing for yourself or to impress others?

Do you dress strictly for yourself or to impress others?

I'll be honest with you: I usually wear what I want because it makes me happy, but I'll sometimes pay more attention to what I wear depending on where I am (e. g. museum) and who I am with. But I noticed that some people wear what they want no matter what: if they're a punk or something, they dress that way all the time, and I kind of respect that.

My style is kind of "alternative" and funky, and it's not that I want to impress others, but I sometimes want to dress a little nicer in certain situations.

Does anyone feel this way too - or not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Both--at the same time ;)

But seriously, both at the same time. I like the way I dress, and it I also choose to dress as I do specifically to influence people around me. There's a noticeable difference in other people's behavior based upon the way I dress, so I make sure to use it to my advantage.

• Yeah, I totally understand what you mean when you say about other people's behavior and how it's different depending on what you're wearing. I think that's why I consciously try to dress a little "better" if I'm going some place where I know there's going to be snobs, for lack of a better word.

What Guys Said 3

• I dress for myself. It feels weird and uncomfortable to wear what I don't like on me.
    It's important to wear what makes you happy because it will make a big difference in your mental health along with other things.

• I always like what I wear. Even when I'm trying to "impress others", I still wear what I like; it's just a little nicer. That's all. :)

• for myself and only

i don't care what others think about my clothes ;-)

• That's a good way to be :)

• i dress for myself.

my friends dress for themselves. ;)

if it impresses people, if not, too bad

What Girls Said 4

• Mainly for myself, because it makes me feel good about myself. But when I like someone yeah I try to impress them.

• I dress for myself but I have high standards when it comes to clothing so I usually end up impressing others anyway

• I dress for myself and my comfort, usually its just a pair of jeans, tank top or t-shirt and chucks. But if I feel a little girly I'd wear a dress. But if i go to a party, I dress to impress lol

• I dress for myself and only me