Tattoos on Girls?

Guys, what do you think about tattoos on girls?

I have script done on my rib cage, I love it regardless, but I can't help but be curious. :)

People seem to be close-minded. However, I do appreciate all of your responses. I don't feel that if a woman has a tattoo that it takes away from them being a good person... Because at the end of the day, I feel, that's all that should matter.
Do you all who have replied, thanks again by the way, feel the same way about MEN with tattoos?

Most Helpful Guy

• I love tattoos, especially on girls.

It's a nice way to break away from that good-girl (aka. boring, uninteresting) image w/o actually being a b*tch or a sIut.

What personally drives me wild:

- behind the neck

- on the ankle or foot; but something girly and spread apart, not like a rose, more like multiple stars or something

- on the stomach or waist, especially if I can see it come around your back, around your hips and slightly onto your stomach; again, something like stars.

- tattoos all over your body; like on suicide girls; (so hot)

Girls who have tattoos are usually more open-minded, don't have irrational beliefs (aka. ultra-conservative, religiously or politically fanatic), and for some reason are a lot less selfish and more considerate of how others feel.

Plus, they project the message that "I don't give a sh*t what you think"; which is sexy. The fact they have a tattoo basically tells the world around them "I'm my own person, and don't need your self-serving morals or judgements so I know how to go about my life. I'll live my life how I want to live it, do what I want to do, say what I want to say, and if you have a problem with that, then instead of wasting your time trying to change me so I can conform to how you'd like me to be (which you won't), just get lost and so we don't waste each other's time."

Again, it all depends on the type of guy.

Doesn't mean the likes or dislikes of some guys are "right" or "wrong". It doesn't mean a girl has to be or not be a certain way. Preferences are a matter of opinion, and opinions are neither right nor wrong. To believe that one's preference or opinion should find agreement among others, and to try and get those who disagree to conform, shows not only ignorance, but lack of respect for others. This is exactly the opposite of how open-minded people are, and so are not really at any loss from filtering out the narrow-minded. It saves them both time and heartache.

By the way, in case you're wondering, I don't have a single tattoo. I've always wanted a scorpion (I'm a scorpio) on my "V" just high enough above the low-rise so you can see half of it, but not high enough so you can see all of it. I also wanted my arms totally remodelled after the dude from full-metal alchemist who had both arms tattooed in the ancient language of his people; telling the history of his ancestors. But it's not professional, and the truth is, no top law firm in nyc would likely consider you a serious candidate if they see that. Is it fair? No. Is it the reality we live in? Unfortunately yes.

So even if you see guys who don't have tattoos themselves, it doesn't mean girls with tattoos don't completely drive them wild. They seriously look ridiculously hot on a girl.

Oh, plus it makes sex better. They show lack of inhibition, which is obviously crazy sexy; for anyone that isn't sexually boring or likes to venture beyond "vanilla" sex.

What Guys Said 51

• Tattoos are nasty IMO.

• Why do you see them as "nasty"? Do you have the same opinion for tattoos on men?

• Basically, if it doesn't serve a practical function of some sort then it goes against my personal beliefs. You won't find any posters or any decorations of any kind hanging up in my room.

• Well...thats a bit excessive. What exactly are these personal beliefs that lead you to think decoration is morally wrong?

• Update: "I don't feel that if a woman has a tattoo that it takes away from them being a good person..."

NO, it doesn't, but it literally puts a lifetime stamp on her. (or a mark, like cattle branding) It's too easy to imagine the insult that could be used against "branded girls".:-#

• Insults, in my opinion, are a sign of emotional weakness. Why should I take an emotionally weak person seriously? Especially if a tattoo means something significant to me and my life... It's not cattle branding (i.e. marking livestock for tracking purposes.. were you aware of that?) if the tattoo is unique and relates to your life in a positive way.

• Only insults that are expressed are a sign of emotional weakness. A strong person keeps the insults to himself.

But an an insult or derogative expression that comes to ones' mind everytimes he sees the tattoo can hurt a relationship indirectly.

The tattoo does not relate to the whole life but to some episode in a more or less distant past. Acquiring permanent marks (from the past) voluntarely fixes one in his past and hampers going forward.

• My tattoo definitely does and WILL relate to the entirety of my life. I believe this because it would be hard for it not to! If only you knew... :)

Thanks for responding!

• Tattoos on girls is HAWT. But wait there is a limit. 1 or 2 is cool. I'm just worried that most girls see the tattoo as a fashion statement / fad and not that of deep personal meaning. When you get too carried away to me it screams you have too many problems that I can deal with

• I understand what you're saying, and I agree. I see many women with tattoos that more than likely don't mean much to them... (i.e. hello kitty.. are you really going to appreciate that when you're 60? haha) however, I feel that meaningful tattoos are great and have greatly helped people to empower themselves and to progress as a person. :)

• My thoughts exactly!

• I really only see tattoos as a crutch for people who lack real originality. Wearing crazy clothes or weird makeup or having tattoos doesn't really make you 'unique' or less of a lemming; it just means you're a lemming in a different pack.

• How do you come to that conclusion?

I'm an anthropology major, and I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but they've recently (1991 being recently ha) discovered human remains that exceed 5,000 years old - one of the oldest human remains ever found (and mostly intact!)

And what do you know, on this persons skin were several ritualistic tattoos...

Tattoos are an art form, in MY opinion. And it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate them.

Thanks for your response!

• You obviously can not and will not have a mature and civil conversation. I feel sorry for you.

Have a good day. :)

• "I feel sorry for you."

Yeah, you're clearly the mature one. You told me why you got your tattoo and it just happens to be perfectly in line with what I said. Fare thee well, then.

• I don't really like or care for tattoos. But I wouldn't ignore a girl I'm attracted to simply because she has one.

• I appreciate your open-mindedness. ha :)

• I read from an answer that a tattoo is a way of wearing what you are on your sleeve.. That is true.. but I feel like.. a person shouldnt feel the need to wear what they are on their sleeve for everyone to see.. I understand that tattoos can be great conversation starters.. they say something about you without you even talking.. but that takes away the mystery for me. I'm a little old school I guess but I've really considered getting a tattoo many times in my life.. I keep going back and forth about the health concerns or how it will look when I'm old.. but in the end, I can't convince myself to get one.. it just seems like its a "pretentious" thing to do.. No offense intended.. I'm not against tattoos.. I just feel like, if I have a tattoo, ill lose who I am.. my personality.. I don't want to be someone who needs attention without saying or doing anything.. because the first thing people see is the tattoo.. and they DO start conversations but it always will stem from that tattoo and it will take away from the real me.. the person.. not the reason behind the tattoo..

So, as far as self expression goes, I do just fine with words.. and as far as girls with tattoos, I could care less.. but I hear too many things about tramp-stamps.. and what that means.. I'm not really sure but ill be the judge of that if I meet a girl with one.. I just hope she won't end up regretting it.. most of the time, people regret them..

About tattoos on guys, some of them are cool.. I've seen meaningful ones like my friend has his dad's marine ranking tattooed on his arm because his dad passed away.. tattoos like that make sense.. but a random quote or something not-personal just seems pretentious again.. there are many saying and quote that people wish they can live by.. but most people don't live by them.. they just like to think they do.. so basically they are lying to themselves first and to everyone else second..

I also understand that when a guy gets a tattoo, most of the time other people think he is "hardcore" or someone who can withstand pain.. I can withstand extreme amounts of pain too but I don't feel the need to prove it with a tattoo.. for most guys, its an ego trip.. and that's what guys' tattoos are associated with.. so I don't have to do anything to prove anything to anybody.. you know what I mean? let them figure it out if the need be.. I think humility is important.. I rarely see anyone humble anymore.. tattoos just take a little away from that.

• Curious, Huh? You asked for it:

Visible tattoos are gross IMHO, on girls and on guys.

Don't get them or only get them on your body at places you don't show when tanning on the beach.

Use henneh instead, if you know what it is.

• I am aware of what HENNA is, and do have an appreciation for it.

However, I chose to do a permanent tattoo for personal reasons, as it is something that is close to my heart.

Thanks for your response!

• I think it is sexy,also keep in mind having this huge tatoo would be to gr8.a nice feminine tatoo looks damn sexy.problem is people aren't as open minded to new things,so please don't accept all there answers as final.just always be true to what you are getting,and why.ciao ciao

• Thanks, and I realize that. As I mentioned in my original post, I'll love my tattoo regardless of the opinions I'm given and was merely curious. I agree that many people seem to be close-minded, however that's their decision.

Thanks for your response!

• i don't like tattoos on a woman simply because a woman- in her beauty needs not to blemish her body. Woman are supposed to be the elegant and more graceful gender (this does not mean girly or preppy) and should not mark/ scar their body. Men are more brutal (not in a bad way; can't find a way to explain it) and less sensitive then woman. I guess a tattoo on a man makes him look more "manly" or "tougher" and quite fits a male's role (gender-wise). I understand many will not agree with me, nonetheless if you reply please indicate if you at least understand what I mean.

• I understand where you're coming from, but we're going to have to agree to disagree. :)

I don't feel tattoos make a woman any less of a woman.. I believe it's what's on the inside that truly counts.

• Whatever is in the inside should stay in the inside not on the outside. In the end as long as you are content with what you have done to your body, then its a win- win situation =D I just feel a hint of regret in you, but I may be wrong.

• Its not a deal breaker, I'm not picky but I am not a big fan of tattoos to be honest. It depends on what you mean. In public I don't care. In a sexual relationship I don't like it that much it reminds me of advertising in a way I'd rather be naked with someone completely naked. But I know a lot of guys who like them so that's one opinion. I agree with the guy who said they are sort of a turn off but if she's hot she's hot or If you like her you like her. I think a tattoo that is tasteful and kinda artistic and has some personal or even cultural meaning is better. I really don't like word tattoos or creepy stuff like skull or gothy sh*t

• sorry, but I don't like them

guys that have tattoos themselves will be much more open to girls with tats

• No need to apologize, it's your opinion! :)

I agree, coming from Los Angeles, tattoos are generally more accepted and appreciated as artwork rather than something as negative as "branding".

• And yes I feel the same way about guys with tattoos, as in I wouldn't get one myself

and that usually both will have tattoos

very unlikely to see one person in a couple with tattoos and the other without

I don't know of any relationships like this

so yeah, very easy to way to konw who likes them and who doesn't!

• Sorry, I forgot these:

"Psychiatric disorders, such as antisocial personality disorder, drug or alcohol abuse and borderline personality disorder, are frequently associated with tattoos. Finding a tattoo on physical examination should alert the physician to the possibility of an underlying psychiatric condition." Raspa RF, Cusack J. "Psychiatric implications of tattoos." American Family Physician. 1990 May;41(5):1481-6.

"Tattoos may be possible markers for lethality from both suicide and accidental death in young people, presumably because of shared risk factors such as substance abuse and personality disorder." D.Dhossche, "A case-control study of tattoos in young suicide victims as a possible marker of risk" Journal of Affective Disorders, Volume 59, Issue 2, Pages 165-168

"Self-mutilation (SM), the deliberate, nonsuicidal destruction of one's own body tissue, occurs in such culturally sanctioned practices as tattooing [...]; This review suggests that SM can best be understood as a morbid self-help effort providing rapid but temporary relief from feelings of depersonalization, guilt, rejection, and boredom as well as hallucinations, sexual preoccupations, and chaotic thoughts." Armando R. Favaza, Ph.D., "The Coming of Age of Self-Mutilation" The Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease: May 1998 - Volume 186 - Issue 5 - pp 259-268

"Tattoos were significantly associated with a current diagnosis of personality disorder and alcoholism and past treatment for drug abuse and parasuicide." Neil Buhrich? and Gary Morris?. "

Significance of Tattoos in Male Psychiatric Patients" Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 1982, Vol. 16, No. 3, Pages 185-189

Et cetera, et cetera. The scientific evidence is overwhelming that tattoos are strongly associated with things like sexual abuse, mental illness, drug/alcohol abuse, and personality disorders. And the larger, garish or more prominently-displayed a tattoo is, the more likely that someone has a serious disorder.

Tattoos aren't sexy to me; they're a warning sign that someone's probably got major problems they've yet to heal. Tattoos are a coping mechanism gone wrong

• I think your the one that needs to seek help lol. That is the most f***ing insanity I've witnessed all day!! lol

• What the hell ? Yeah okay, sure! Some people just think it looks good or like art , some people are idiots !

• nothings wrong with a little tattoo but like huge sleeves on her arm

or the on peeping out the on their back ( I heard someone call them tramp stamps lol)

i don't like those

but if its small and like on the leg or shoulder I find it cute

but like they say you get one you soon get two lol

• I love tattoos! IF they are made by artists that know what they are doing. Tattoos where you can see that it was a sloppy tattoo-artist sucks :p

Tattoos can be hot on girls, as long as it's not some tacky and corny motive, but that goes for guys to ofc!.. Hate ugly tattoos...

Yours sound awesome though!

Where on your ribcage is it? If I may ask..?

And what size is the tattoo?

:)

• Thanks, and I agree. Tattoos should have meaning to you and your life - because, well, it's going to be on your body forever! Mine is very small, about a 1/2" in letter length, horizontally across my rib cage. I got it done by a highly prestigious tattoo artist who has even made appearances on television, magazines, and books for his work - It was expensive however cheap tattoos = a disaster. & I see it as an investment. :)

Thanks for your response!

• Hate them on women, never understood why they got popular. I unblemished/unmarked body on a woman is almost enough to get me off. I never understood why women wanted to mark themselves up.

Just my POV.

• i hate tatoos and unnecessary piercings. I don't find that attractive nore appealing..

• You're entitled to your opinion of course, but we're going to have to agree to disagree. :)

Thanks for your response

• Unnecessary piercings?

• Yea like belly button nose lip etc. I don't mind the normal earings but after that just don't find much more attractive

• I think they're sexy, because it's like a way to make the female form look even more artsy instead of the same old boring skin and curves.

I've always been into art, maybe that's why. I love fantasy art in particular.

I also love them because I'm kinky and I think women who get tattoos are kinky, although I've heard it's completely untrue. Kinda makes me feel like Weezer: Say it ain't soooo!

If people say you're screwed up for getting tattoos, then people are screwed up for weightlifting or wearing make-up. People shouldn't try to overcompensate for things, but nothing is wrong with having your own style.

• I like them. I always had a thing for tattoos growing up. I personally have 4.

• Same, I love seeing some of the artwork these prestigious artists are able to put forth. Quite amazing what some can do with a needle and ink. :)

• there sexy as hell , is long as there on the right part of her body and not too big or overwelming . but when done right and in right place there pretty sexy . and I definity like it when the girl has one

• Me and my ex and this girl are getting our tattoes finished and about to start getting work on our next ones. I think personally that tattoos are both sexy and a great way for girls or anyone for that matter to express themselves. I feel if you want a tattoo then get something that has a meaning or even something that had a small part in your life (I'm gettin yoshi and some other eggs and yoshi around him, as a way to show me and my friends growing while using something from our child hood to show it)

• Tats are definitely hot on girls.

• just wrote in another post that I love girls witha tatoo on her ribcage. And for the men part. Well the girls need to answer that. But I dig' them. have some around my body.

• i really really hate them. I find them tacky and very lame and trendy. I don't get why people can;t expres themselves or do art on things other than their bodies in a permanent format.

i avoid them like the plague. the seem trashy to me.

even the ones I like I still think they might as well just be hanging on someones wall rather than permanently on their body.

that said, many seem to like them which I can never understand.

• I am a Christian Man. We are not suppose to make our bodies. I don't think you are a Christian woman so it does not matter to you. Maybe your religion it is acceptable for a mother or future mother to look like a stripper. As you get older and your skin wrinkles, you will see having tattoos is not a cool thing to have.

• If you have ink on your body does not matter if you are a good person or not. I can think of two women right now that do not have tattoos. One I cannot stand and would not even think about dating. The other is such a wonderful person, and hot and I would love to sleep with her. I can think of the same for two women I know with tattoos. By the way my wife has numerous tats and I think they are HOT. I love them.

• Honestly I don't mind tattoos, but they need to have a reason or meaning behind them.

• I just think tattoos on people are funny to look at...whenever I see people walk around with tattoos exposed on the beach. I can't help put point and laugh, cause down the road in life...those tattoos are gonna be nothing more than random ink faded on your skin.

• Body graffiti on a female body is so passe, predicable and boring. Once, a tattoo on a girl was a sign of her independence and individuality...now it's just the sign of the herd instinct - sheep following sheep

Body grafiti, like rizla's and peircings, are of the street. And it doesn't matter how small and discrete your tattoo is... it'll still make you look cheap. It's nothing to do with being "closed-minded", it's about personal taste... and I simply think that girls without tattoos are the REAL individuals - and much more attractive. But I don't suppose you give a damn whether the opposite sex likes it or not.

• I find tattoos totally unattractive!

• Disgusting. Getting a tattoo, when you think about it, is a futile attempt to establish some kind of legacy or permanency of ourselves. Something very egotistical and something unnatural.

People change with age, no matter what. I haven't met a person in the 60s who was proud of their sagging, faded tattoos. People with tattoos prove ignorant to that fact.

What's beautiful are people without tattoos now because it shows that they have bucked the trend and are comfortable being themselves and not having to impress people to be a "part of the in-crowd".

I have a couple of tattoos, and even though I like their designs even now, I've always felt a little cheaper for getting them done.

Start saving some money for laser removal surgery.

• @cj24680 --Trend? Tattoos have been around and popular for several thousand years. "Sagging, faded"? That only happens when an amateur gives the tattoo. A good friend of mine is an 86 year old woman with several and they were all done by a pro about 60 years ago. They all still look great, vivid and have nice sharp edges.

• I feel the same way. I have a couple that I got at 18 , now I am 30 and hate them I want them removed so bad. I wish I never got them, wearing a sleeveless dress at my age seems so cheap with these tattoos. I am also saving up for laser removal.

• Actually, I disagree with your idea of tattoos being a futile attempt to establish some kind of permanency of ourselves.

People always say that tattoos are so permanent, and no doubt they are - but if you think about it, they are actually one of the most impermanent, ephemeral art forms around. Unlike paper or cave drawings, once we die, our tattoos 'die' with us, unable to be preserved.

I love tattoos as long as they're tasteful.
      YOLOOOOO!!!

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 15

• Fuck all those guys. Tattoo's are an awesome way to wear who you are on your sleeve. I have a quote going down my side too, and its something I adore as I'm sure you do, that's all that counts.

P.s I'm sure it looks sexy, what does it say?

• Then why not go for a guy that also has one (or more)?

• Okay liquid lithium, it seem you are highly reactive =P as I said before, you don't NEED to "wear who you are" you existence is enough to show who you are. I must admit that tattoos can be very beautiful, but the only problem is, they are kind of FOREVER! you may think you will cherish this tat for the rest of your life, but emotions change rapidly or slowly over time. I'm just saying...

• Well that's just it though, you don't get tattoos that mean nothing to you. People who get tribal or pictures of something for whatever reason that means nothing to them are ridiculous. If you get something meaningful, then you would WANT it to be forever. I personally draw my own, and every one has its meaning, and when I'm old and look down at them ill smile, because that's who I was, the person that I will always be, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

• Tattoos on girls are sexy! But I'm biased having six tattoos and a full back piece. I've designed all my own pieces because I hate tribal, kanji, stars, fairy tattoos and tiger tattoos.

My back piece looks like a painting and I've had nothing but positive comments about it..I think if you stick to softer designs and choose your placement carefully they can enhance the female form. Its when they begin to dominate it can look wrong.

Also my body's a temple, who's been to a temple that hasn't been highly decorated and covered in bright beautiful designs?

I don't regret a single one of my tattoos, they weren't done on impulse and I took a long time to design and decide what I wanted. Like I said I chose my placements carefully and keep them out of the sun, so they'll stay bright and beautiful for as long as I do. A few mean something to me, but the others are there just because they look pretty and that's all.

You can't take a beautiful painting or a sculpture around with you everywhere you go, so why not have a piece of art on your body to appreciate forever more? I spent a lot of money on my tattoos, rather than some picture that would just hang on my walls...that's the way I see it anyway.

• I don't mind tattoos on either gender, but I don't prefer them. People have right to their own decisions. I'd never want one myself, and if I did, I'd get it in a place that will resist sagging and also be able to be hidden when I chose. Although what the tattoo is does change my opinion sometimes. On girls I find small, more delicate things much prettier, and on guys I really hate when it looks more like a blob of ink, or is some kind of scary image. So maybe I'll change my opinion to "sometimes it looks good, and sometimes it looks awful"

• I have an obsession with tattoo's, I have 11. But they all have a meaning behind them. Its not like I just got to a shop and look through a book, I get them drawn to what I want. I got one that's a cancer ribbon etc for my grandfather, one for my grandmother, a courage&strength chinese symbol, a 4leaf clover because I'm irish, there's more but I'm not going to go into more detail. The fact is I heard about how guys think tattoo's on girls are not right. I know that for a fact because my close guy friend told me to my face he hated my tattoo's and asked me why I got them. Then there's other random people who comment on my tattoos. Saying how their very nice, where'd you get it done etc. I'm in the midst of thinking about getting another one, for my nephew. Personally I like the tattoo you got, what does the script on your rib cage say&represent?...If you don't mind me asking?

• nice I like that idea. I have a cherry blossom at the back of the lower bottom half of my back :D

• I think that its hard to form a general opinion about tattoos because they all look so different. For example, I think its safe to say that men react differently to my friend who has a pirate tattoo that spans the length of her torso than they do to the dandelion I have on my shoulder.

I got my tattoo because I think its pretty, for the record.

• I've been thinking about getting a tattoo done for a few years LOL yep you read right... like yourself, I wish to have one done to express a deeper spiritual meaning (that corresponds with my spiritual beliefs) and a turning point in my life. I want to be 100% sure of my decision before I go ahead with it, and I've chosen my artist, I've just got to make the appointment to go see him ;)

• I know you said you wanted guys to answer but I am bisexual so I figure it counts. I love tattoos. I think they are a beautiful expression of a person. It's mobile art. I find many tattoos an actual turn on.

• Wow I am totally shock, and amazed with all these different comments and opinions about tattoos...anyways I love tatttoos, the back of my neck is all tattooed up, has well has my half, and I love my art! I think its a major turn on if they are original and not tacky. I love my guys to have tatts..

• I love tattoos,

• Hate them on guys and girls.

• Tattoo is bad.

• i would like a tattoo, but it would be something that represents my personality or has an important meaning to me, but it won't be anywhere where people can see it. I think some tattoos are ridiculous because they are so gaudy, but in some cases on men it can be hot

• Tattoos are a means of expression. My friend has a religious tat referencing a Bible verse. I'll admit, having a crazy amount of tattoos (whether you're a girl OR a guy) is a bit over the top, but I see nothing wrong with them -- ESPECIALLY if there's an inspiring story behind it. I, personally, want one to represent what I've been through in the past. Fergie from Black Eyed Peas got her eyebrow piercing after overcoming her drug addiction. It's symbolic for her. It's understandable why some people don't like it, but it's unfortunate as well. I've asked people why they have the tats they have, and some of the stories are pretty interesting. I met a guy who put the name of his sister, in the hospital for lukemia, on his arm. He got choked up explaining it. I know I'm being extreme, but I am seriously contemplating a tattoo to represent how I've overcome my past, so it bothers me that people can be judgmental about something that CAN be deeper than just permanent ink on someone's arm.

• I definitely agree! My tattoo is symbolic for the obstacles I've overcome and at the same time symbolic for moving forward in life (in order to move forward, you cannot ignore the past).

They may pass up the love of their life and/or an amazing friend because they have a tattoo - and in my opinion, that's very sad. But hey, it's their loss. Who am I to say what people should or shouldn't think? I just feel like we're in an era where we should be uniting rather than demeaning and judging.

• I am sure there are guys who are into girls with tattoos. You can't base these answers as a fair representation of majority male opinion. You have to think about what kind of users does this website attract. I think typical males won't prefer a girl having a tattoo just like these guys but I'm sure there are good amount of guys out there who like girls having tattoos.

• It also depends what kind of tattoo you are getting. It varies.

• Can I get best answer...? lol

• It's actually very easy to find the guys that are into girls with tattoos

because they're the guys that have tattoos themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!