I have horrible hair. Please help, how can I calm it down?

I straighten my hair each and every day and it takes awhile. My hair is naturally curly/wavy, it's got a lot.. and I mean a lot of poof to it. You know that hair that was instyle way back when that was pretty big and poofy? That's mine except bigger.. frizzy, it's also dry so I wash it once a weeks. I have tried a billion things, nothing seems to help. I'm hoping one of you ladies has similar hair to me and has figured out how to control it? My hair has potential to look nice, I can only achieve that by straightening, and even so, it still ends up flipping out and doing its own thing. :/

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you black?

I can tell ya, straightening your hair every single day is realllyyy bad on your hair. You'll get heat damage and your curl/wave patterns will cease to exist, if that hasn't happened already. My suggestion to you would be to lay off straightening it for awhile. Check out YouTube for there are tons of videos of girls who style their hair in a ton of different ways. The best part about it is that there are so many of them with different hair types that you are bound to come across one who shares the exact same as you.

If you can't flat out quit straightening your hair daily, that's okay. Since you're so used to it that's pretty understandable. An alternative would be to cut down the heat to once a week and go from there. Have you ever tried wrapping your hair after you've straightened it? (Something else you can look up on YT) Oh and make sure if you're ever tying your hair down, use satin or silk scarves only.

What Guys Said 2

• i would embrace your uniqueness. everyone is so ambiguous and uniform nowadays. you know what I think is the sexiest? girls who flaunt what they have with confidence.

• Apply coconut oil or almond oil daily to your hair. Take head bath twice a weak.

What Girls Said 7

• If you want your hair straight all the time because you like the way is looks, maybe you should think about going and getting relaxer put in it so it's straight all the time? If you want to keep your hair curly like it is, try applying product to highlight the waves/curls yet keeps the frizz in check.
    Always apply a heat protectant before straightening your hair and if you hair is getting damaged from it, use a keratin protein shampoo and conditioner as well as taking biotin once a day.

• Maybe your hair looks so bad when it's natural, is because it's so damaged. I have curly hair and when I would stop flat ironing or washing it would be so dry, brittle and frizzy. Now that I've been natural for a while my curls are really nice and most of the heat damage is gone

• Also here's a no heat hair straightening video

m. YouTube. com/watch? v=m1RO-d1Z9Hs

• I would do that but that's why I began to straighten it in the first place, straightening makes it so much easier to maintain, but it's also killing my hair. That video was amazing, I'm going to try that, that's a good idea.
      But maybe I'll stop straightening it and hopefully id have the same results as you!

• I've been natural for four years and my hair was awful before. I started straightening so young that I really didn't know the potential my hair had. At 9 my hair was daunting an it was frizzy just because I didn't know how to take care of it. But now that I'm older and better understand how to take are of my hair, it looks a lot better

• I use Dove nourishing solutions shampoo and conditioner. It revives dry rough and frizzy hair. Then I use a hair syrum and comb it through. It makes your curls really come out. If you like your hair straight then I suggest getting a relaxer. Which calms your hair down and makes it practically straight even when it gets wet for a while. But it damages your hair REALLY damaged and it will probably be worse afterwards

• You're damaging your hair by straightening it everyday. Do it just once a week after washing it and use a heat protection spray- taft or syoss do the trick for me.

• Have you always had frizzy hair? or its been recently?

• When I hit puberty my hair turned frizzy and bad, was poker straight growing up. Same thing happened to my sister.

• Then I'm not sure that the reason is damaging, even though you say that you started to straighten your hair very early. I had very frizzy dry hair when i used hai r iron. So i stopped using any heat including blow drier, i make hair mask every Sunday (i mix olive oil, honey, egg yolk, put it on my hair and scalp, put on a hat and wait for 3 hours, sometimes i add avocado oil, aloe juice) and use sulfate free shampoo. My hair is so much better now. You can also try keratin treatment, its expensive but really helps. You can do it and stop using iron, your new growing hair must be much better

• Keratin treatment does wonders for the hair! Only downside is that it can be quite expensive. I'm not sure where you are located but I occasionally treat myself to keratin hair treatments and at home I use the Tresemme Keratin range (very cheap too).

• I've heard of that! If it works that well I'd definitely consider getting it :) I'd prefer something that lasted abit longer because I'd want to always get it re done and that's expensive

• Shave it off. :)

• totally would! I hate it so much! would have to get used to having hardly any hair on my head :p

• I did it before because blow drying and straightening is a waste of my life. You can do it!