Reality tv does more harm than good! Do you agree?

Reality television has become very popular over the past decade with shows such as "Survivor", "Big Brother" and "The Apprentice" attracting big audiences and making a lot of money for broadcasters worldwide. A definition of reality television is quite difficult but at its most basic it means programmes that show things really taking place, rather than drama or comedy that follows a script. Typically reality TV involves a group of people who are not trained actors being filmed in unusual situations over a period of time. Sport and news programmes are not considered reality TV. Documentaries that explore aspects of society are a grey area, with some closer to news reporting and others blurring into reality TV because they set up situations which did not already exist. Recently celebrity versions of reality shows have made definition even harder, because they show the private lives of professional singers, actors, sportspeople, etc. as they cope with new situations. Reality TV is often a hot topic as proponents believe it paints an unrealistic and inappropriate portrait and is therefore bad for our society and the children that make up the majority of the audience. They call for a cut in the number of hours given over to reality programmes, or even to ban them completely. Opponents meanwhile maintain that people should be allowed to watch what they like, and that reality programmes make good TV, as shown by consistently high viewer figures.

Netsai x.

Most Helpful Girl

• that's a very interesting perspective. I guess it does hurt real trained actors. maybe there should be a balance, I think the demand for scripted shows is slowly coming back with shows like Empire

What Guys Said 7

• used to like Big Brother when came out... i was a kid. then though... ut now i find all these shows boring.

• Reality TV needs to go away. And soon.

• I don't watch TV a lot but I say those type of reality TV shows are useless because it turns your brain into mush. I'd rather watch Cops or mythbusters lol

• Yeah I totally agree, you wanna feel more stupid go watch a reality drama like made in Chelsea or jersey shore or some rubbish like that. :)

• Not all of it. But any of that housewife shit, and bad girls club and love and hip hop just makes you dumber. I don't know many smart people that watch that shit

• Reality tv is still scripted TV.. take like storage wars for example.

• I disagree.

• That's disgusting. You have my pity.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm not gone lie. Dramatic Rom-Coms like

Flavor of Love
    Rock of Love
    Real World
    Big Brother
    The Bachelor
    The Bachelorette
    The Ultimate Merger
    CMT's Sweet Home Alabama
    Real World: The Challenge
    I Love New York
    Real/Chance

And all that stuff keep me hella entertained

I even watch the annoyingly funny shows:

Keeping Up With the Kardashians
    Kourtney/Kim
    Kourtney/Khloe
    Kim/Khloe
    Real Housewives
    Love/Hiphop
    Bad Girls Club

Surprisingly I haven't given these shows a try

The Apprentice
    Jersey Shore
    Snookie/Jwow
    Teen Mom
    Mob Wives
    Duck Dynasty
    Basketball Wives
    The Hills
    Surreal Life

• Lmfao since when has reality tv ever done anything good?

• only for those who get too into those shows.

• reality tv is horrible and staged but i still watch it

• Reality TV scrapping the bottom of the barrel for entertainment.