Why am I growing hair now?!?

I'm growing tons of body hair and its driving me crazy! why is this?!?! I'm 20, not entering puberty!

Most Helpful Girl

• If the onset of the hair growth was sudden and it has progressed rapidly (I assume the answer is yes by your description) there might be a medical problem going on. You should make an appointment with an endocrinologist and have them test your hormone levels. This problem can be treated and the results will be better if caught sooner. Often, hirsutism, excess body hair, is the result of over secretion of male hormones. Another common cause is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Women with PCOS and other hormone conditions that cause unwanted hair growth may also have acne, problems with menstrual periods, trouble losing weight, a deeper voice similar to that of men, and diabetes. If these symptoms start suddenly, there may be a tumor that releases male hormones. No matter what, you should get checked out immediately. At very least Google the information that I have given you and see if it sounds like it could be a possibility. I have very dark, thick hair for a girl and I always have. Other people in my family do as well. I have often wondered if this has been the cause my entire life as there is known to be a genetic link. Anyway, I am finally getting checked out and so should you ;)

What Guys Said 3

• Something I noticed:

When you are shaving you are actually letting your hair roots grow better. Notice when a man doesn't shave his face (after puberty) he remains with no hair; while, if he shaved his face, he now has a furiating mustache.

If its bothersome you can use products to remove the hair long-term; alternatively, you can have laster treatment to burn the hair out of your skin (doesnt hurt)

Best regards,

ArtistBBoy

• just shave the hair off or get it removed. no big deal. make sure you shave though, p**** and asshole hair is gross.

• genes? some say hair grows faster after you trim or cut it. Have you tried nair? or bump Patrol ?

What Girls Said 5

• It means there's something going on with your hormones in your body you have to go to the gyno to see what's wrong birth control also is able to control your hormones.

• Im not on birth control

• No I'm saying if you go on birth control then it wil control the problems you are having with your hormones.

• are you underweight? if you're anorexice or really low weight, your body grows a "fur" to try and keep your warm because you don't have enough body fat left to keep you warm. either way you need to go to a doctor asap and get it checked it out. you should look up your bmi on a bmi index to see if you're a normal weight. A BMI of 20-25 is healthy. The minimum BMI you should be is 18.5. If you're less than this, then you need to put on weight.

• I am normal, but lost about 15 pounds this summer

• Have you definitely checked the bmi index? see www.weightwatchers.com. Anorexics have fine hair growth on face,back and arms. [http://www.something-fishy.org/isf/mindbody.php].If you're BMI is 17.5 or below then you should go to a doctor. If you're menstrual cycle is acting up or non-existent right now, this is not good and needs to be attended to.

• Nope, everything is normal :S

• like in which places? don't shave it it will grow back thick and darker! don't do it! trust me! it happened to me! I tried shaving my mustache now I have to wax it because the hair came in darker and thicker and more notisable than the first time

• If your 20, you should have already entered puberty. Its normal.

• If you notice a change in body hair, go to your doctor for blood tests. There is a chance that you could have an endocrine problem.