Cultures avoiding the sun?

I notice a lot of women, typically Asian or Latina, purposely avoid direct sunlight on their face by using a folder, or sometimes a parasol. I heard that in Latin countries, fair skin symbolizes wealth because you don't have a labor-intensive job like farming. Is it true that Chinese and Latina women do this to look more white and therefore more attractive? Isn't this a tad racist?

I assume it's because the sun is really bright otherwise. I can relate to that since I have blue eyes, which are more light-sensitive. I hate being outside during the few hours before sunset or after sunrise.

Most Helpful Girl

• how would it be racist? if its to symbolise wealth and power by not having a labour job outside thats nothing to do with trying to look like the Caucasian race, its just so people think they have a great indoors job.

• But it's inherently viewing one skin tone as being more attractive than another, which I think is inherently racist.

• its not racist at all, racism is hating another race or thinking that race is better than your own.

these people naturally have this range of skin shades within their own race anyway they just prefer a certain tone, they just darken with more exposure to the sun just like black peoples skin darkens when exposed to the sun and white peoples skin darkens when exposed to the sun. if a caucasian person prefered themselves with fair skin over tanned skin would they also be racist? because thats exactly the same thing

• if they were bleaching their skin to unrealistic shades for their race then it would be viewed as hating their own race

What Girls Said 6

• It's true. Indians do that (Indians are Asians too, aren't they?). Here, fair skin is associated with beauty and superiority. I remember, one of my friend's granny wouldn't let her play in park in afternoon or so because according to her 'she will become dark (and hence ugly) if she stays in sunlight for too long'. Lotions which make your skin fair are very popular here. I find it very racist and even sexist.
    I don't know why we Asians are obsessed with fair skin.

• they don't do it to look "white." throughout history you can see they've preffered paler skin. it's a sign of youth

• It's not racist, since they're of the same race. Asian and Latino people don't apply the same standards to people who are actually black. They only apply this standard to people who were born with white skin.

• well i am Latina and i never heard of this. Probably that was back in the days when our economy was not well developed.
    I always thought we cover our face because the sun was harsh, just like people use sunscreens when they go to the beach.

• Asians have regarded lighter skin as the standard of beauty for thousands of years before they ever came into contact with white people. Just look at the ancient Chinese/Japanese/etc paintings. The white they strive for is literally paper white -- not pinkish like Caucasians have.

• I'm half Chinese, and my Chinese mom does this. If she is out in the sun, she wears a thick coat and pants, gloves and a parasol with a hat. It's a bit overboard, but that's the culture!!!

What Guys Said 3

• Is what a tad racist?
    No one likes the sun shining directly on them. I use a folder to if I can block the sun from shining on me

• I think its stupid

• How is that racist? They're are no other races involved.

• I mean in terms of skin tone. The idea white skin being more beautiful than darker skin (the basis of Snow White) or having it as a symbol for class is kind of reminiscent of white superiority.

• That's for protecting against skin cancer, not to affect skin tone.

• Why do white people tan to get darker?