Girls, Does getting your hair straightened every 3 months damage it?

I'm a mixed race of Chinese and Jamaican, but naturally my hair is quite thick and a bit kinky. As a kid, I tried using relaxers to get my hair more straighter, but that only ended up with my hair falling out. For 4 years I have kept it natural, and for 3 of those years I have kept my hair in braids with extentions. Gradutation is coming up, and I want to get my hair straighted. This time, I want to go to a salon and get it straighted, and go back every 3 months to get root touch ups. I'm wondering, if going every 3 months for a long period of time, damage my hair?

11

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't find a problem with it? My hair is really smooth (And not trying to sound stuck up) but it tends to be soft most of the time too and I straighten my hair about once a week or so. Some girls in my class straighten their hair everyday and they have the softest hair. I guess it more depends on weither or not you protect your hair form the heat. Like I use a hair spray before I straighten my hair that stops the heat form burning or damaging my hair.

Personally I would recommend with you to try straightening your hair with protection spray and maybe buy some special shampoo or conditioner for it and give it a shot (on the bottom layer of your hair first and see if anything happens), if there is a bad result then don't continue :)

• I tried many alternatives but my hair will always keep it's thick and poofy look.

• Aww that sucks! My hair used to be like that, but now it straightens fine aha :)

What Girls Said 10

• no as long as you take care of it you will be fine. you can maintain healthy hair even if you get relaxers monthly

• it would be very damaging :( when I was younger, my mom would relax my hair as well. I haven't done that in a long time now, but it used to burn my scalp. The chemicals are strong, so I don't think it's worth it personally. If you do relax it, I would just for graduation. I'm sure there are alternatives to straightening it while natural

• I have never been to a salon to get the roots torched up, so I am unsure on whether they will use relaxers or not.

• Whats wrong with a bit of volume of hair :)
    I had my hair straighten for special occasions, it was temporary so my curls are still alive.
    Its a waste of time and money to always have it straightened. Maybe find a new style for your natural hair.
    You can do it for graduation, but doing it all the time will need really good maintenance of your hair.

• I believe it does.

• It will :3 because when they steam your hair , the pores on your scalp opens and the chemical from the relaxer seeps in. I've been straightening my hair once a year since I was 9 but stopped 3 years ago. (: maybe you can straighten your hair professionally once and then use a hair straightener? Or just let it grow out until maybe a year and use a beanie to cover the roots for the time being?

• Yes it would damage your hair. So you need to really take good care of your hair.
    Sharing my own experience. Now I dont straighgen hair anymore, I have natural curl

• It will be you need to take care of it as well. I straighten my hair everyday and it's dye. It's not really damage for me

• No it shouldn't damage your hair, I have a friend who used to straiten it each time she showered and it didn't ruin her hair a lot. and I straiten my hair more than every 3 months and it's fine. 3 months isn't that close together.

• yes but everything damages your hair so do what you want

• Of course it will damage it!! Leave it natural.