Plastic surgeries in Korea > why do they make themselves look completely unrecognizable?

> Why do they want to look like their anime characters?

> Why do they have huuuge mirrors in the subways to check themselves out all the time?

> Why do they (A LOT OF THEM) walk around with bandages on their faces - like it's something normal-?

A graduation gift for a person - a plastic surgery.

Isn't this strange?
Worrying?
Sad...

Would you be able to adjust to someone you know looking completely different one day > suddenly?

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a stigma against cosmetic plastic surgery here.

It doesn't exist there.

Without that constraint, why not?

While the ideals may be unrealistic, on the other hand, it's hypocritical to really be opposed. If it's 'just appearance' than why is changing it a problem?

Both before/after women you posted jumped from being well below average to being above average in looks. That would have a staggering impact on how they're treated for the rest of their lives.

What Guys Said 12

• Hmm they do look better. Maybe because I am attracted to Caucasians though and they kind of have shifted towards a Caucasian look. Maybe to other Asians they look worse?

• I should amend what I wrote. I am attracted to others as well. Some black people and some Hispanic. So it isn't all Caucasian. I do like some Asians as well but some, like the ones above, I am just not attracted to. I have nothing against them it is just personal preference.

• :))) Yes, of course.

• There's something off about that fourth picture. Like, the before picture looks like it was photoshopped or something.

• the social conditioning there is quite different than it is here. Plastic surgery to that degree is almost seen like cheating life and genetics here in the usa/canada. Over there, plastic surgery is seen like going to the auto repair shop. If what you've got is "broken" of coarse you go and fix it. That's the sort of attitude you need to imagine when thinking about plastic surgery in south korea i think. Its seen like using your money to fix a broken object, like a car, laptop, phone, etc

• Now I see link to your other question so it has become a cultural thing in Korea as you say, sad and worrying.

• Help! Sjeez you meet a friend from S-Korea, see her back a year later and she looks like the girl next door... oh goodness that's shocking :-(

• So they won't get recognized and killed by their whacko dictator.

• I heard of this story (I think it was N Korea) this married couple had a child and the husband sued the wife for having an ugly child. Because she had plastic surgery So the baby looked like her old self

• I don't have a problem with this at all.
    If someone wants and coukd look better which they all do after going through C. S. , i see nothing wrong with that.
    Do what ever please you with harming society and nature.

• Would you be okay with being married and having a child with a woman like those up there and then having a really ugly child? Not knowing how it came to happen?
      Isn't that cheating nature?

• First i must be blown away by a female's persona to marry her.
      That consists much more than a pretty face but a surprise will not be normal for me.

She must make aware of the fact pre-marriage and then i will decide whether to continue or not.

Irrespective of that fact if she is awesome person as whole i will marry her most probably.

I read such news somewhere on Internet a man sued his wife for that reason.
      haha

• Haha Yeah, saw it too. xD

• I feel a lot of people around the world would do the same,

People are not all born attractive

• Normally I'm against plastic surgery but I do have to agree with @MoshingExec, they do look better.

• I am normally against it too. Probably because I never see someone I think looks better after it. We usually see celebrities that go overboard. I cannot think of one person who I think looked better after plastic surgery but these pictures kind of amaze me.

• It actually is kinda sad... They're treating their own bodies like objects.

• the first guy wasn't that bad looking
    he is kinda a handsome fellow

What Girls Said 6

• It's a bit saddening. Especially the jaw-shaving ones (Korean plastic surgeons are that good). I'm used to being around Asians and the ones who do get plastic surgery are looking more alien-like because it's unnatural, no offence. I have a Korean-American friend who got a lot of beef in Korea for being "fat," when she'd be considered average to us.

In re: to another post saying they want to look more Caucasian -- not necessarily. Everyone there wants to look like Kim Tae Hee who had the original look (her face has barely changed).
    dramaville.files.wordpress.com/.../kim-tae-hee.gif

It's as much wanting to look Caucasian as it is white Americans getting tans, lifts, pumps, etc to look more Latina or at least "ethnic." Studies already show that people, including babies, are more attracted to people with a racially near-ambiguous face. No Korean's going to want these types of noses, before or after:
    www.locateadoc.com/.../...ullsize-53753-138829.jpg
    www.locateadoc.com/.../...ullsize-54130-139477.jpg

• For them it is the ideal look. Like MoshingExec saidt, they are inspired by Caucasians traits and wish to have them. There's also the admiration of Kpop idols. They usually look like the right side so they want to look that way in order to feel accepted.

But wow the transformations are pretty intense for my taste. Must cost millions!

• It's a third of the price you'd pay in the US...

I kind of researched it. xD

But isn't it disturbing how different they look?

• I guess their plastic surgeons are good... but still... kind of disturbing. o. O

• Yea it is! Imagine their family members how they reacted!!

Probably like O_____O

• I disagree. The photos you have shown are pretty mild transformations. They don't look weird after the surgery but better enhanced. They weren't born with their features properly formed or in the 'right' places. I don't condemn them if they feel stressed out, being always fun for their uneven facial features. It can get depressing if that's all people say all day are negative comments regarding their looks. They can't hide or avoid the taunting forever and they have to deal with the public who values only attractive looks but not for their personality and character. It takes a lot of guys to go through a decision like that and the pain!!! But in the end, they feel good and look good.

• They got told by white people that their natural looks are ugly.

"The Americans, upon coming to Korea to “help” the “poor people”, were confronted with a curious looking bunch. One of those Americans, by the name of Dr. Millard, set out to fix such faces in order to “read” the Koreans better. Dr. Millard was a military surgeon who was sent to Korea on a good will mission to reconstruct war-damaged bodies. Dr. Millard, in addition, to reconstructing such “war damaged bodies” became obsessed with making the Korean or “oriental” legible for the American people. He thought the single lid made Koreans look lazy, sneaky, untrustworthy and basically dumb. He became the first white person to create a double-eyelid surgery for the Asian face."

thegrandnarrative.com/.../

• Why do they (A LOT OF THEM) walk around with bandages on their faces - like it's something normal-?

- Because they just got those surgeries and are required to wear them. PS is so widely accepted that they don't need to hide at home until they can remove those bandages. Physically, there is no reason to stay in the hospital.

• by the way, it's Iranian women who keep wearing their bandages even if they don't need to.

"In November 2008, Oprah ran a story on Iranian cosmetic surgery: "Women see the bandage as a status symbol. 'I had a friend who had a nose job, and she kept the bandage... after two years on her nose just to show everybody that she had nose job,' [a young woman from Iran] says." To many young Persian women, such displays make perfect sense, especially given the cultural focus on finding good husbands. The bandage signals that you come from a family who cares and provides for you—even if you don't need a nose job, having a family that can afford to give you one is preferable to having the genetics for a petite nose.

www.vice.com/read/shes-so-najoor-0000467-v21n10

• tbh i don't get it too

• Miracle workers I'm not calling them ugly.