Do first tattoos hurt?

I've been wanting this tattoo since last year. I didn't just wanna get something stupid marked on my body for the rest of my life so I decided to get the adoption symbol tatted on my wrist with my parents name written inside. There is no way I'm wussing out but I have to admit I'm nervous and dare I say it I'm kinda scared. I just don't know what to expect or how painful will it be. Usually when something is hurting me a ball my fist up but I'm not sure I can do that with the kind of tatt I want. I just don't want to be one of those people who walk out in the middle of getting it. I just want an honest opinion because everyone says it doesn't hurt but I'm not sure if they're lying or trying to be tough?
Do first tattoos hurt?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's going to hurt. That's just the nature of tattoos. Some people will handle it better than others... but there's no way around it. People who claim it doesn't hurt either have a high pain tolerance or they've never actually gotten a tattoo.

Pain charts like this can help give you an idea of where the pain will be the most severe:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...ade80df8e4.jpg

Basically places where the skin is thin and/or close to the bone, are going to be very painful when getting a tattoo. I would never, ever get a tattoo on my wrist, but that's just a personal preference... I don't like the thought of my wrists being in pain.

I got a tattoo on my shoulder blades, and it hurt pretty bad. It was actually worse than I was expecting to be honest. Nothing I couldn't tolerate, but still... it was rough. If this is something you want, you need to make sure you're mentally prepared. And I certainly wouldn't recommend walking out in the middle of it, haha.

What Guys Said 4

• Depends on where you get it. Everyone has different tolerances to pain also. But once you get 1 your gonna want more. Very addicting

• I think they feel good. Kind of addicting actually.

• Welp I hope I feel no pain! And that I get addicted to them

• I hope so too! Good luck

• They all hurt lol! Even your hundreth tattoo will hurt! Just depends if you can handle it!

• only if you want them to hurt they will

What Girls Said 4

• yeah it will hurt, but depending on size and location it should be bearable. i'm getting my first tattoo in a little less than a month and i'm a little nervous. i can handle pain well for the most part, i'm not scared of needles or anything like that. i just don't know how it will feel. i may be able to help you though, because i've done a lot of research. where are you getting it done?

• I knew it would hurt! Ugh I knew people were find trying to be tough but I guessI'll have to power through.

• haha honestly i think you'll be okay :D everyone handles pain differently of course. but for most people it's a breeze. it will be uncomfortable and you might not like the way it feels, but it'll be fine. you won't wuss out. (i hope not). ;) it won't take too long, and it'll look awesome when it's over with. you'll be so proud and happy!

• ALL tattoos hurt! That's a nice design, by the way.

• They do hurt (in my opinion), but it's not an unbearable pain. I don't think it will be an issue, unless you're very averse to pain.

• According to my friend, yes they do. It is bearable though.