Which band from today do you think people will still be talking about 25 years from now?

I was listening to a piece on NPR about Nirvana and this question came up. I knew back then we would be talking still about them now and don't doubt that we will in another 25.

What bands of today do you think we can say hat about?

Big Industry makes it so hard to have break out bands be one mainstream. The only guesses I can throw out are Arcade Fire and maybe the collective work of Danger Mouse as he is all over but always brining something new.

Thoughts?

Okay so to clarify a little bit. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is there a band out there that is so different or memorable to you personally that you remember where you were when you first heard a song by them. This can be a band 10 years old that no one else has heard of.

If not then which band of old had this effect on you? I know Neil Young many of Neil Young's songs simply stop time upon first listen. Is music getting pushed out of modern life?

Most Helpful Guy

• The Killers, Neon Trees, Red Hot Chili Peppers still are releasing albums they'll probably be talked a lot about which ever decade they retire in.

What Guys Said 9

• Literally the only ACTIVE band I can think of that will also be talked about 25 years from now (or later) is Red Hot Chili Peppers but they already been around for over 30 years, so it's not saying much really.

• You'll hate me for this but in my opinion the Chili Peppers are more along the lines of Aerosmith. Their first stuff was their best stuff and just because they are still flopping around doesn't make them and band of which critics will refer back to as a conversation piece or influential, unique. I don't know I'm a little bias on this one I guess just because I think they are a good jam band but a bit overhyped.

I also think Flea is an awesome bassist and love stuff he has done with bands like Mars Volta but hold a grudge that he gets ranked higher than Les Claypool which I attribute to his commercial appeal more than talent and ingenuity.

• No love for Keith Moon? The members are greater than the whole? I could get that.

• The Who doesn't sound too talented and their sounds aren't catchy, not to mention they have a lousy singer. They just don't engage me that much. John Entwistle is a beast on guitar, that is all.

• Have to say Porcupine Tree. They were tapped by Yes a few years back to open for them, and have gained a huge and loyal cult following worldwide since. Legendary artists like Adrian Belew (from King Crimson and Talking Heads), to Alex Lifeson of Rush have actually asked to play with them, and appear on their albums. Fantastic band, with elements of Floyd, Rush, and Yes, but with a very forward thinking sound and identity of their own. I'm not so much into their latest couple albums personally, but that's just me. in my opinion, their albums Stupid Dream, and Lightbulb Sun, are both awesome and worth a listen.

• I've not heard of either of the ones you mentioned. I think Adele is an artist whose songs will be played for many years to come. I've heard her title "rolling in the deep" be called the bohemian rhapsody of the 2010s.

I imagine lady gaga will leave some trails as well. Such a shame - her songs are shite but she has one of the best voices ever.

• Well yeah I hope we still talk about Adele like Ella Fitzgerald. She's solidly inspirational. Danger Mouse is a producer. Wiki him everyone wants to work with him right now.

Arcade Fire is a indie type band with a lot of members that put out a unique compilation of work. Win Butler was artist fund baby so that is how they were able to afford to do what so many can't in the early years. Grammy winning work worth looking into as well.

• Will check those out, cheers!

• depends on the person basically

personally i listen 2 bands from the 80s that most people don;t even know their names... so i'm 1 of the few that keep them alive somehow :-P

• I then make sure to check into The Smoths, Talkingheads, Joy Division, Depeche Mode and The Cure.

• Lately im listening 2 Squeeze and The The

The 1st is a pop /new wave band and the 2nd is more xperimental, although not inaccessible 2 the listener

• Check the album Argybargy from Squeeze...:-)

• I don't think any of them will be talked about 25 years from now. I'm not hearing any bands that seem to be good enough to be talked about by other people.

• The beliebers

• daft punk, one direction, defo will be talked about for years to come later

• I can't think of any, not recent bands anyway, even AF and DM have been around a long while now. There was a good saying I heard recently that I think is true, it went something like.. music from back in the day ages like fine wine, recent music ages like milk!

• Taylor Swift may be like a Madonna... (I'll go anon for this)

What Girls Said 2

• Jack Johnson, Bob Marley, Years and Years, and Justin Timberlake

• Arcade Fire definitely deserves to be talked about 25 years from now. I hope they are. Such beautiful music.