What style is suitable for me?

I'm trying to change my style and break the cliche cause I'm sick of being stereotyped and they say that what you wear is like a visual to people of who you are on the outside. How was I supposed to know that hoods and air forces well baggy clothing make me look like a criminal? lol sad but true. I'm trying to go for a sophisticated yet feminine look. I quite like layers and I don't want to seem plastic or skanky. I'm just so confused and frustrated I just need advice.

Seriously I know people say just be you but you see I'm complex I like variety. I prefer to be ORIGINAL have a look that no one else has well maybe similar but people always copy my style HONESTLY and there are certain stuff that only I could pull off.

Most Helpful Guy

• Now that I have a better understanding of what is going on. I do know that you must wear something that is considered professional attire to any place where you want a job. Employers and business owners are stupid like that. That whole idea makes no sense to me, but there are actually seminars that rich evil business men attend that teach them what color of neck tie to wear so that they look more evil than before. So yeah it sucks but even I have to hide my tattoos at my job. And as far as racism is concerned. Changing your clothes to change who you are will not solve racism. People are racist because of ignorance. They refuse to learn for themselves that the differences between people and that diversity of people is our greatest assets. Racism does not know color. Black people are just as racist as white people are. The only difference is, the media makes more money by exploiting racist white trash. I. E. The jerry springer show, and stuff like that. So if you want to fix racism. Go to your new job, and show these people who you are and what you capable of. Teach them things about your culture. Answer their questions. Make them think and learn for themselves. Who knows, maybe you might learn something too. And in your own little way. You've changed a life through positive communication. Good luck and e-mail me if you have any more questions. - j

What Guys Said 3

• Well, first off in your question you say that "they" say this or that about how a clothing style is a reflection of a person. Ask yourself this. Who are "they" anyways? And why should you care about what they think. If people are judging you by your clothing then those people who do so are what I like to call shallow.

And I do not prefer to make friends with shallow people. I know this subject well. My whole body is covered in tattoo's I wear heavy metal band shirts, and camo pants. People think I am just a stupid stoner metal head or a biker, what they do not know is that I am almost finished with a college degree in engineering and I am smarter than most people that I meet daily. So don't let people judge you like a book cover. Wear things that make you feel comfortable and sexy. Things that make you feel good about who you are. And if people don't like it, then that just makes your life easier. The same works for me. It weeds out the shallow, the ignorant, and the weak of mind. Until all I am left with are "they" who are great people. - j

• True true. They are potential employers especially in retail etc etc and I'm brown come from a bad environment as so portrayed by the media in my country but my neighborhood ain't bad just no one cares about it and yep a lot of talent here. "They" are also not to be racist "white people" I'm trying to show them not to be scared of me BELIEVE ME I'm only little and yet I still scare people stupid as it seems just cause of where I'm from I'm also trying to show them not to be intimidated by me.

• I recommend wearing 1 or 2 solid colors, and make sure the clothes fit you well (show your good side, hide your bad sides). The solid color look can be plain sometimes, but more often it's professional and a safe bet. Avoid risky colors like yellow, orange, and bright green (so many people complain about them). Pink is fine but always use it with something else, or it's too much.

Casually, nothing wrong with some slim jeans and whatever looks good above. Remember, tank tops only look good if you've got a hot body! Otherwise it's white-trash central.

• No matter how much we may not like it, we will always be judged by appearance. It can't be helped. When you first see someone, even you make some kind of judgment based on what you see. You could be wrong, but you've already made it. Be yourself is nice fluffy, feel good advice, but you also need to be aware of how you'll be perceived. As long as you're comfortable with that, all is good.

What Girls Said 4

• a great pair of skinny jeans would do you a lot of good. go to h&m and get a pair of their SQIN cut.

you can be comfy for sure...try wearing boyfriend cardigans over colored wifebeaters, your dad's or boyfriend's sweaters, smock tops with interesting sleeves or necklines...your clothes don't have to be tight to look good.

look at people like rihanna or vanessa hudgens for inspiration. notice how their outfits are less planned out and more like "here are some pants, a shirt, a scarf, and some shoes."

if you shop in mostly blacks and grays, you can get some bright-colored accessories and wear them with a million different things.

get some hot colored kicks! there are some sweet ones. or, converse lites are really sweet for a more feminine but still fun and comfortable look.

have fun shopping! dress for YOUR BODY...that's the REAL key to looking good!

• if you like comfy clothes try wearing victoria secret sweats and a zip up with a tank under and try wearing different shoes, like nike shocks insted of airs.

• hun... don't change da way you iz just because of sum dumm azz stereo type dey can juz get ovr it or summthin

• If you like jeans, but want to looks sophisticated try dressy jeans I know that is a vague name but I don't know what they are called. but you can tell by looking at them they look nicer. places like express has pants that are comfortable but look nice. I know american eagle had some really nice dressy jeans out this season. you can get khakis or white pants too that feel like jeans if you like the way jeans feel. for a top if you are comfortable in a tank top/camisole find a nice one and wear a nice little jacket over it. you could do a little cropped jacket or even a jean jacket if you are going casual. your shoes can vary, from heels to sandals to flats. you can find even flip flops that are embellished just the right amount that make them look dressier. if you have a solid outfit, you can pair it with some bright or print shoes to give it a pop. you could even take it one step further and pick out jewelry that bring out the colors in your shoes. especially if you are wearing white for example and you put just some red shoe with it. if you don't want your red shoes to stand out too much you can add some red jewelry. it is very important to dress for your body type also. if you are curvy wear a dress or long shirt and put a large belt over it to draw attention to your curves. if you have nice legs show them off and wear heels and a shorter skirt. if you are short wear vertical stripes. you can buy fashion magazines that will help you to dress for your body type, or you can just go ask a retail clerk. hope I helped and good luck!