Do you think that schools should allow short shorts and tank tops at school?

At my school you're not allowed to wear shorts that go above finger tip length. If you do, you will be sent home with a referral to the principal, which can count against prom. You are however, allowed to wear maxi skirts, skater skirts, capris, Bermuda pants and pants.

You're also not allowed to wear tank tops, tube tops, and spaghetti straps without the same consequences, so basically you're only allowed to wear t shirts.

They did this because the "boys will be checking the ladies out" and stuff... but it's so hot, especially with minimal to no air conditioning.

What do you think?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • I'm indifferent.
I meant Bermuda shorts.
I'm not for or against it so please don't get angry. I'm just trying to get opinions.

Most Helpful Guy

• yes coz we dont live in middle-ages anymore... goodness! ^_^

and no it's not slutty basically!

What Guys Said 25

• Tank top: site.topdogshirts.com/.../dm481black.jpg

Tube top: www.2fitfashion.com/.../TB0100_CharcoalGray.jpg

Shirts with "spaghetti straps": www.artpoly.com/.../DT202.jpg

T shirt: gildanonline.com/.../64000l_lady_s_t-shirt1200.jpg

Do you see the differences between those three shirts and a normal short sleeve t shirt? When I was in high school guys who wore shorts all year 'round weren't allowed to be because girls did not know how to wear shorts past finger tip length, and we weren't allowed to wear a tank top either, but I didn't hear guys bitching about it, so why do girls bitch so much about it? I don't understand! It's hot for us too! So just suck it up!

• I voted "A", and as long as it's not indecent exposure, I don't see the problem.

Using the "boys will look" is a weak excuse. Males will look regardless, so it doesn't matter. If a guy is looking so much it "distracts" himself to the point he performs poorly, that's pathetic. I checked out girls on a daily basis (and still do) and I passed high school with a 3.4 GPA. It also makes it sounds guys are wild animals with no self-control.

• I say no, Actually. . . I say maybe or nobe. Ja? Oui

Seasonal uniform worked just fine at my old school

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• There were absolutely no dress codes for girls at my high school. They were not even required to wear clothes at all. And the girls never distracted me from my studeis. Oh, wait. Now I remember why. I went to an all boys school.

Dress codes are not unusual at all. Most workplaces have dress codes. Most schools (high school and below) have dress codes. I see no problem with that at all.

• In Ireland all schools have uniforms to avoid this but I am assuming you are from a very warm area so maybe some allowances should be made.

• I would love to say yes but I can't just because I was distracted enough with the mostly modest outfits the girls wore back in highschool. My hormones don't need any help man :O

• Of course, why not? Besides, school uniforms are stupid ;)

• it one thing to ware shorts cause it is hot, it is another to ware shorts where your ass is hanging out, and extra inch would kill you

• i suggest you go naked seriously , wearing all that will make the guys as walking boner are you fucking kidding me? they would be jacking off in the halways, classrooms, bathrooms... etc imagine a place full of teenage girls of which a lot are hot all weaing tank tops and mini skirts/shorts basically a porno in disguise.

• School is your job and u should be professional.

• Nope, sorry but that's life. It you had just gotten job and your boss told you a list of what you couldn't wear what then? It's the same basic thing with cool. When you are at school you must follow the rules just like you would if you wear at a job. Don't like it? Tough, that's just how things are.

• Not even tank tops? I think that's crazy.

• But it's just school when it comes down to it. Who cares what we wear anyways? We're there to learn, not impress.

• Just saying it doesn't matter. Every place have some form of rules like it or not.

• I think you should be allowed to wear shorts and tank tops if you want to. Girls were allowed to wear pretty much anything at my old school.

• Yeah it gets super hot.

• I think it's ridiculous not to let you wear the shorts and a tank top if they don't have air conditioning in every classroom. It's not like they're inappropriate and very revealing

• Yeah you could wear a not so revealing outfit.

• If its in college than yeah.

• Yep, if they don't allow this, the school sounds to be very outdated.

• they should just make girls wear a sweater year round!

• Yeah definitely. It's 2015 and still there are countries and their schools that restricts students' appearance.

• We went through the same... why can't you?

• Yeah. When I was in high school, I loved girls in short shorts and tanks.

• Im indifferent

• Yes and at all schools here you can and everyone does

• Oh yes baby. PLease allow it

• schools are for knowledge and iner development not a breeding ground for attention whores poviding masturbation material for home for horny teenagers... .

• you people are full of shit. young males are young males. this kind of distraction is the last thing they need. uniforms are the best cause they destroy inequality between poor and rich, and fashion craziness. school is for learning not a catwalk stage... .

• uniforms should return to all schools asap. many kids get bullied for being from poor families and can't buy the prada and luis vuiton shit that their rich classmates flash around... .

• Exactly that's what I mean.

• Yeah well here everyone has to wear the exact same thing. With a tie and everything. I don't see what your problem is

• This is basically what kids wore at my college (I was a non-trad)... all year round, no matter what the temperature...

Personally I think they were just trying to attract attention.

baylorlariat.com/.../Stereotypes_MH-001-FTW2.jpg

• College must have changed, because I only see girls in college dressing like this in September/October and April/May. I never see them dress this revealing in any other month of the year.

• I live in the south.

• Wow they just get cold.

• There should either be a strict uniform of no choice, or no uniform rules. People should be able to wear whatever they like.

What Girls Said 18

• Long post.
    Honestly? The only reason why they started limiting the variety of clothes females can wear is because some girls take it too far. They wear shorts where their butt is coming out and tight revealing tops with their double d's sticking out. Its so indecent and distracting. So I don't think the whole blaming guys thing is fair. Girls need to look into their own gender too.
    If we can also take into consideration about the whole guy thing, just think about it. Guys and girls biologically are different. Its a fact that guys tend to get a lot more hornier than girls do is because of DUN DUN DUN... their higher level of testosterone. The fact that some girls, not aiming at you Asker, can't seem to understand that and when faced with an argument similar to this, always tend to compare guys with girls, baffles and pisses me off.
    And just as a side note to people that are saying a limitation to girls wardrobes challenges their ability of freedom and creativity,
    it's just high school, it's ultimately just clothes. Are you seriously wasting your time whining and being petty about your OOTD?

• Did you read my update? I'm not for or against it. I'd edit the post but I can't, and some girls were complaining about not being able to wear short shorts and spaghetti straps and shit. I'm not "whining and being petty about my OOTD". I frankly don't care, because I wear t shirts and Bermuda shorts anyway. What I'm focused on is my future and that's how it will be. No need to get angry. I wish I can edit my post and address that. 😥

• Ahaha, glad we cleared that up. Though I don't know what reason I'd have to be angry at you in the first place. Also, thanks for that bit of advice. I usually try to say what I want, but sometimes people aren't open minded to different opinions and ideologies. Which, to be honest, is usually the case, especially because most of my opinions are considered unpopular opinions.

• Yeah, and you're welcome.

• I think it's good they have those things in place. But spagetti straps has always annoyed me - you aren't allowed them in some offices as well and I find it mental. The reason being you can't have your shoulders on show. Who's attracted to shoulders

I don't think it's so much boys getting attracted but teaching girls to have a bit of self respect for themselves and knowing there's a limit to the clothes and you can and can't wear. Also it stops people who don't have the body for it wearing them - image a fat girl wearing a tiny skirt. You don't want to see that and it's offensive to tell her she can't wear it. So this way there is a one rule fits all and nobody gets upset.

• Yeah I understand too. But sometimes I'm on fire and want to wear something cooler

• Wow that sounds horrible.

• Haha it's about the people not the job.
      But yes, I think it's a good thing and really, it's for the best. Men have restrictions as well as girls, but they don't have as much choice clothing wise

• We can wear whatever we want at school and I like that. We had some very creative people at school and loved to express themselves in their clothing and I think people should just be able to wear whatever they want at school.
    For the distracting boys thing. Guys are not walking penises. They're not distracted by seeing our shoulders or something. That's ridiculous. If someone really wore a bikini at school, okay, but people just don't do that. Someone with healthy consciousness won't do that. Also, the social pressure motivates people to wear something modest.

• We are... just not what was listed

• I think prohibiting tank tops already goes really far. I love tank tops. T-shirts often look weird at me and tank tops are a lot fresher, because there's no clothing at the armpits.
      I also think people should be able to wear shorts. Most skater skirts aren't even fingertip length so that's pretty stupid. I think shorts are a pretty modest way to not wear a lot of clothing against the warmth. You can't look underneath them etc. If you wear a really short short, you'll already get slack of the girls at school, so why prohibiting these things?

• I agree. I think it's really dumb.

• Eh, I'm not in school anymore so I don't really care. To be honest I got on just fine with a dress code, so I don't think it's such a huge deal.

• Yes, my schools dress code is total bs. I went to an arts school before I came here and, we believed in freedom to express ourself. I do not agree with the stupid dress code. Like my school takes it WAY too far. My friends and, I were actually just discussing this today. I don't think it's my schools job to tell me what to wear. That's a parents job. I strongly disagree with it, which is why I continuously dress "out of dress code".

• Do you get introuble for it?

• You're school sounds stupid, I believe that both genders should cover up. But girls are expected to cover up more for a reason. @cupsofthexo said, guys are biologically different and have higher testerone levels. They become hornier than us and have a harder time controlling their desires. It's not just about preventing action, but more of making sure they focus their attention on school and learning. when a guy wears a muscle shirt, I'm not going to run up to him and touch him but I will be flirtatious and distracted. That's why a dress code exists.

besides, when a school is lenient with the dress code you have many people abusing their privledge and wearing skimpy outfits. i stand by what I said before, I think it's dramatic to whine about simple rules like this. Girls AND guys at my school are expected to not dress provacitively and there are still people complaining that the school is "stripping away their freedom". It's pure drivel, its just clothing. Covering up a little won't

• .. change you as a person.

• Yes, I've always felt like that's a stupid rule about the shorts. I say no to tank tops at school though.

• I always thought those rules were so dumb because the find something about your body you can't control and then determine what you can and can't do by that.
    Also they blame my legs for their son failing. Maybe you should raise your son better so that he can concentrate.
    Also these rules just show how girls are expected to be more responsible for others than guys

• @aamy811 Are you saying people sould be allowed to wear anything they want to school no matter how revealing it is? Lets say someone wears some thing revealing and no matter who likes it they should never be turn on at all. No matter if it is a guy or girl wearing something showing their body off are you saying others should be able to concnetrate and not get turn on ever? It is not that easy to do sometimes because I feel that you think it is as easy to do as turning on andoff a light switch.

• @Asker no it doesn't really make sense. Many guys would bend over and their underwear would be exposed. the teacher told them to pull up their pants and it was all fine.
      Many teachers have bent over and had cleavage but it's not like they're in that position all day. They stand up and straighten their clothes out and we move on.
      You bend over get your pencil, stand up and adjust your short. Your all good. See how unclimactic that is and how easily fixable it is.

• Yeah I hate when guys have their undies showing.

• In Greece we can wear whatever we want and I appreciate it. It's really hot in Spring and Summer so it'd be hard not being able to wear tank tops and shorts.

• Professional places like school and work are going to have dress codes. Why is everyone so angry at the thought? Feminists should be fighting for important things that ACTUALLY matter, not petty things such as no dress code. It's not going to kill anyone to wear clothes that are a little less revealing. No need for dramatic response.

• i think it should be allowed for both men and women to wear what they want. As long as they wear something it can't be like a guy wearing no shirt. Using the excuse what women wear is are a distraction is a weak argument. high school is the perfect time to teach both genders about self restraint. this will cut down on rape culture plus i don't think what people wear has anything to do with them getting raped there are women in the middle east who are forced to wear burqas and rape happens there

• in my school shorts and short tank tops and all that are not allowed even accessories and makeup and all that , and i actually agree with the school because it is a formal place we can dress whatever we want and like , but outside the school it isn't the right place, but at the same time i am a teenager and i understand we spend more time in school that any other place so we need a little freedom

• I can wear what I want in my school, I think it should be like that everywhere unless it's a catholic school or so :D

• Shorts to me are ok as long as they don't show the bottom of a girls butt cheek. I think that is inappropriate in a public place. And tank tops I don't see anything wrong with.

• I'm indifferent because I'm not in school anymore

• Honetsly, it's a distraction, and it looks trashy. And there are some teachers who stare at girls who dress like that. It's a matter of self respect. If you put out slut, you get treated like a slut. If you put out class, you get class in return.

• Oh yeah that's true. Well I don't dress like that because I believe the same thing. Some girls were complaining because they couldn't dress like that.

• I'm indifferent.

• Why would someone even want to wear that. ?

• Yes, because you can pick what you want to wear no matter what.