How often do you look up an ex online to see what they are up to?

I'm in a great relationship, but now and then I'll look up an ex to see what he's up to. I look up exes I was with for a long time somewhat frequently, and some other short term exes every now and then.

Is that weird? Do any of you all do that? I don't think I have any romantic feelings toward any of them, and I love my boyfriend...I just want to see what their up to.

• Once a week or more
  • Once a month
  • Once a year
  • Never
Interesting results with both guys and girls split in responses. I wonder how it depends on the length of the relationship.
For instance, there are some exes I never really look at because the relationship was brief and I didn't care that much about them. However, others that I was with a few years, or actually loved, I find I'm more curious to look up.

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted "once a week or more," but only on a technicality!

Most of my favorite exes (the ones I still get along with) and some of the not-favorite ones are Facebook friends, Twitter followers, etc. So, whenever any of them posts something, I see it automatically.

I usually don't actively look them up once a week - just whenever they post something interesting or a major life change like moving to a new city. Like you, I do this even if I'm not interested in getting back together.

I don't need or want to know where they are day-to-day, who they're hanging out with, what their favorite places are, or anything like that. I suppose I just like knowing they're alive and what big things they're up to: jobs, big creative projects, travel abroad, etc. And I admit, I'm curious whether they're "In A Relationship" or engaged or married, even though I probably shouldn't be.

What Guys Said 8

• If I was the one who ended the relationship, it means I no longer care about that person. But even then, over the course of a year, I still wonder about them at least once.

Relationships do play a large role in your life and it is natural to be curious from time to time... Which makes me wonder about all those "never" votes. I can understand freak circumstances, but come on... never checking on your ex is straight bitterness.

• I don't think there's an appropriate answer for me here. I tend to check in on exes and old friends (most of my exes ARE old friends) once a quarter or so. It's important to maintain the sense of friendship and a personal connection with the individual.

Annual contact is what I chose... but contact that infrequent wouldn't be much of a friendship IMHO.

---

I know my girlfriend looks up her exes to see what they're up to, but she's a lot more lurky about it. It's more a self esteem boost for her... knowing she's come further and is in a better spot in life than they are. I don't think that's fair... but I'm not going to stop her.

• I do from time to time, mainly out of boredom and curiosity. Especially cus most girls I dated I wanted nothing but the best and do find some pleasure in knowing they are doing alright.

• i hate looking at her she was bisexual(nothing against them but I will never date one again)

I broke up with her months ago lol

she was using me... to prove something to everyone back in HS...

thats what it felt like

but we are ok still we broke up on good terms and plus she at some far away college

• Never. If I did, it would mean I haven't moved on.

• im addicted to seeing what they are up to every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to sleep lol I don't know why.

• Once a week I'm just curious about how they're are doing

• i find I do look them up whenever I can because I care and I still love them.

What Girls Said 7

• I do that sometimes, to me its like I want to make sure I'm doing better than them(: I don't have feelings for them but it's a boost of self asteem. Its super normal, don't worry.

• My previous ex is dating my best friend,and the other one changed his MSN and I never added him.

What happened's the past and I'm forgetting them :]

• that's why I'm not on Facebook baby! can't control myself lol

• Haha, I should no better then!

• No you're fine. You have someone you love, you're just curious and I think it sucks to have been so close to someone, an ex or just a girl friend or whatever and no longer know anything about them, so it's cool you can see what they're up to if you can handle it! I couldn't handle it w my ex. So you're not weird at all :)

• never...if I break up with someone then I don't want to have anything to do with them.

• never but I'm pretty sure he does considering he always wants to talk to me

• odd this is a interusting question.

• I try not to but I can't resist looking up my first love every week. We broke up 3 years ago