Girls, have any straightening hair tips?

(I have African American hair.) Do I have to use a blow dryer before straightening in order to get that EXTREMELY straight look? I honestly have no clue. (Other straightening tips would be amazing, too!)

8

Most Helpful Girl

• I would use a straightening conditioner.

Then I would put in some sort of quality heat protector.

Afterwards I would blow dry if you wanted to go the extra mile. But this is even more heat, and for me this isn't needed. But until you experiment a few times, you won't know what works best for your hair. (Note: some people do only blowouts, and I've never had this before, but my mom did and the results were fabulous. Just get in there with a brush and guide the hair as you apply the heat.)

After blow drying your hair, I would get a brush and take inch sections. Then follow the brush closely with the straightener. This technique ensures every strand is getting equal heat, and the finish is better with this technique in my experience.

Then I would finish with some type of oil that will add shine, reduce frizz, and moisturize.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm black, too, with natural hair that I straighten occasionally.
    1. Always wash and detangle it thoroughly before straightening.
    2. Always blow dry it before flat-ironing. Smooth a LITTLE oil over it before blow-drying to minimize breakage, but not too much or else it's going to be greasy.
    3. Use a quality flat iron. What flat iron you use really does affect how straight it is.
    4. At night, wrap it to keep your hair nice and smooth, and avoid putting any products on it while it's straight, as almost all products have water as the first ingredient, and a water-based hair product equals less straight hair.

• I go to the salon and what they use is a rolling brush with a blow dryer. One woman that used to do my hair would be able to get it COMPLETELY straight. I need to look her up again.

But I don't straighten my own hair. It takes too long. I usually have it up in braids and someone at a salon does it... lol.

• I totally understand the struggle. Okay so what I do is this:
    1) Wash hair + deep condition
    2) Put in leave-in-conditioner and a straightening serum (not too much or it will look oily)
    3) Dry hair using a blow dryer and a comb, making it straight but poofy
    4) Straighten hair with a comb. Like using a regular flat iron put before running the flat iron through your hair, use a fine toothed comb to detangle and separate the strands. I'm not sure if you get what i mean... but here's a vid:

www.youtube.com/watch

Follow this vid/ my advice and you'll get great results. My avatar shows my results with this method. I have 3c/4a hair.

• Shampoo your hair and then add conditioner. The conditioner helps it easier for frizzy hair to be straightened. Then blow dry in thin strands before using an iron straightener.

• I would just get a perm, tbh. Like it would save you so much time plus I personally find that hair straighteners/curlers do so much damage to my hair :(

• Lol yes because a permanent CHEMICAL is far less damaging than a simple flat iron that only temporarily straightens it.

• Black hair doesn't need to be straightened that frequently, though. I can understand in your case why perming would be the better option---you were having to re-straighten your hair every day. Kinkier hair textures can go two or three weeks without having to be washed or re-straightened, which makes simply straightening it when in for mood for straight hair vs. getting a relaxer much less damaging.

• then go for that I guess :P

• I have super curly hair as well. I normally use a straightening oil that moisturizes and protects my hair. Then I start from the bottom going up in layers so that it is thorough straightening job. I use a comb to go through the section that I am straightening so that the hair doesn't get matted or so you don't get random curly areas. Good luck!

• Use a straightening iron.