Anyone know how often you should wash your hair?

apperently it depends on your hair type and im stressing out trying to find a hair care routine for my kind of hair. for a last resort i'm asking on gag, even though there's a slim chance lol.
my hair is like "4c" or something it's coiled afro hair and i normally shower and wash my air everyday with just water because im not too keen on chemicals and animal testing etc. is that okay? preferably answers from people with knowledge on hair and stuff

Most Helpful Girl

• 'Natural' hair, that is, 'African' hair is extremely delicate, and should only be washed gently. Once a week is perfect. Washing should be done gently, rubbing a small dollop of shampoo into the scalp without tugging on the hair, then rinsing thoroughly. Shampooing natural hair must ALWAYS be followed by conditioner.

If you're not keen on chemicals or animal testing, try Lush. They don't use the major chemical that's found in most shampoos - sodium lauryl sulphate. Shampoos that would suit your hair would be Blousey and Curly Wurly, and if you ask in sure they'd be ready to help.

Natural hair is prone to dryness and breakage, and should be moisturised to guard against damage. Lush have a few good conditioners again, which would suit your requirements, and ask them to recommend some for you. Try Veganese, or American Cream. When conditioning, rub in liberal amounts, enough to coat all your hair. Leave it in for the recommended amount of time, wearing a shower cap if you have one, to protect the hair.

Something you could consider is co-washing. This is something that is popular with people who have natural hair especially, as it only adds moisture to the hair, without taking any. Co-washing is the use of conditioner instead of shampoo. You use the conditioner exactly as you would use a shampoo to clean your hair, rubbing it into the scalp and rinsing off. It's not recommended for people with greasy hair, but for natural hair, it can be highly beneficial.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wash my hair every day as I use hair gel and hair spray.
    I'm not sure water itself will clean your hair to be honest.
    The body shop products are free from animal testing so you could buy shampoo from there. ✌

What Girls Said 6

• It really depends on your hair type and how oily/dry your skin is. I'm not sure about how to judge for others, but for me it works best to wash my hair every other day. I used to wash it every day but it dried my hair out. I have somewhat oily skin (not too bad though) and thick hair. I think thinner hair gets dirty faster, but I could be wrong.

• Considering your hair type, you shouldn't wash it everyday. 3 times a week at the most. It'll dry it out and make it frizzy. Use dry shampoo between if you have to, and if it's already damaged use hairmasks (you can get them at any drugstore) to restore moisture.

• Ahh, I'd like to think my hair is 4c, I have an afro also, just cut my hair actually. So I wash mines once a week on Sundays. This has my hair prepared for Monday. I three strand twist it and let it air dry. Washing your hair everyday only dries out your hair's natural oils. I'm sure you've hear this, which is very much true. Especially, if you live in a big state with harsh water. I live in MS, the water is good here so I'd think it benefits. Maybe cut down on washing your hair. Have you tried products that are labeled "Not animal tested?" Just try some oils if you're not using them already.

• every 2-3 days

• Everyday duh

• Eevry toehr day is good.

• Every other**

What Guys Said 1

• Mostly everyday, perhaps every now and then there should be some exceptions of a day you don't wash it.